James H Kocsis
Affiliation: Cornell University
- Continuation treatment of chronic depression: a comparison of nefazodone, cognitive behavioral analysis system of psychotherapy, and their combinationJames H Kocsis
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 10021, USA
Psychopharmacol Bull 37:73-87. 2003..COMB was associated with less symptom re-emergence during the continuation phase than either monotherapy, particularly for partial remitters...
- Antidepressant augmentation: good news, limitations, and stumbling blocksJames H Kocsis
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Cornell Medical College, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065
J Clin Psychiatry 76:e526-7. 2015..It seems we have some good news, but a lot remains to be accomplished. The good news is that several agents were found to have significant efficacy in terms of response (4 agents) and remission (6 agents) in comparison to placebo. ..
- A new scale for assessing the quality of randomized clinical trials of psychotherapyJames H Kocsis
Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 10065, USA
Compr Psychiatry 51:319-24. 2010..In 2004, the American Psychiatric Association's Committee on Research on Psychiatric Treatments appointed a subcommittee to investigate the status of empirical evidence with regard to psychodynamic psychotherapy...
- Cognitive behavioral analysis system of psychotherapy and brief supportive psychotherapy for augmentation of antidepressant nonresponse in chronic depression: the REVAMP TrialJames H Kocsis
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Cornell Medical College, 1300 York Ave, New York, NY 10065, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 66:1178-88. 2009..Previous studies have found that few chronically depressed patients remit with antidepressant medications alone...
- Patient preference as a moderator of outcome for chronic forms of major depressive disorder treated with nefazodone, cognitive behavioral analysis system of psychotherapy, or their combinationJames H Kocsis
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, N Y, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 70:354-61. 2009..We hypothesized that patient preference at baseline would interact with treatment group to differentially affect treatment outcome...
- Chronic forms of major depression are still undertreated in the 21st century: systematic assessment of 801 patients presenting for treatmentJames H Kocsis
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Cornell Medical Center, 525 East 68th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Affect Disord 110:55-61. 2008..These results and the consistency of similar results over time point to the dire need for patient and provider education regarding the signs and symptoms of depression and its treatment...
- Prevention of recurrent episodes of depression with venlafaxine ER in a 1-year maintenance phase from the PREVENT StudyJames H Kocsis
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 10012, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 68:1014-23. 2007..To test the long-term efficacy and safety of venlafaxine extended-release (ER) in preventing recurrence in patients with major depression...
- Recurrent depression: patient characteristics, clinical course, and current recommendations for managementJames H Kocsis
Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 10021, USA
CNS Spectr 11:6-11. 2006..Additionally, recent developments in genetic and psychological vulnerability research have sought to further improve outcomes by identifying markers in patients who may likely experience multiple depressive episodes...
- Psychosocial outcomes following long-term, double-blind treatment of chronic depression with sertraline vs placeboJames H Kocsis
Cornell University School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 59:723-8. 2002..To date, no study has measured psychosocial functioning in this population during long-term maintenance antidepressant treatment or following the double-blind discontinuation of treatment...
- Pharmacotherapy for chronic depressionJames H Kocsis
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Psychol 59:885-92. 2003..Short-term trials seem reasonably conclusive in establishing the effectiveness of antidepressants for dysthymia and double depression, although rates of remission fall short of 50%...
- Randomized, placebo-controlled trial of nefazodone maintenance treatment in preventing recurrence in chronic depressionAlan J Gelenberg
Department of Psychiatry, Health Sciences Center, University of Arizona, PO Box 245002, Tucson, AZ 85724 5002, USA
Biol Psychiatry 54:806-17. 2003..This randomized, placebo-controlled study of the efficacy and safety of nefazodone in preventing recurrence was conducted for patients with chronic MDD...
- Self-reported depressive symptom measures: sensitivity to detecting change in a randomized, controlled trial of chronically depressed, nonpsychotic outpatientsA John Rush
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9086, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 30:405-16. 2005..Global patient ratings such as the PGI-I, as opposed to specific item-based ratings, provide less valid findings...
- REVAMP - Research Evaluating the Value of Augmenting Medication with Psychotherapy: rationale and designMadhukar H Trivedi
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
Psychopharmacol Bull 41:5-33. 2008....
- The state of knowledge of chronic depressionAlan J Gelenberg
Department of Psychiatry, Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, AZ, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 67:179-84. 2006
- The 16-Item Quick Inventory of Depressive Symptomatology (QIDS), clinician rating (QIDS-C), and self-report (QIDS-SR): a psychometric evaluation in patients with chronic major depressionA John Rush
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9086, USA
Biol Psychiatry 54:573-83. 2003..The QIDS-SR(16) has highly acceptable psychometric properties, which supports the usefulness of this brief rating of depressive symptom severity in both clinical and research settings...
- Double-blind switch study of imipramine or sertraline treatment of antidepressant-resistant chronic depressionMichael E Thase
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, 3811 O Hara St, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 59:233-9. 2002..Although various strategies have been proposed to treat antidepressant nonresponders, little controlled research has been published that examines prospectively the use of switching to an alternate antidepressant...
- Pilot study of interpersonal psychotherapy versus supportive psychotherapy for dysthymic patients with secondary alcohol abuse or dependenceJohn C Markowitz
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 196:468-74. 2008..Results suggest IPT may have specific antidepressant benefits for dysthymic alcoholic patients but not in treating alcoholism...
- A quality-based review of randomized controlled trials of psychodynamic psychotherapyAndrew J Gerber
Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, 10032, USA
Am J Psychiatry 168:19-28. 2011..The authors report results from application of the RCT-PQRS to 94 randomized controlled trials of psychodynamic psycho-therapy published between 1974 and May 2010...
- A quality-based review of randomized controlled trials of cognitive-behavioral therapy for depression: an assessment and metaregressionNathan C Thoma
Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York, USA
Am J Psychiatry 169:22-30. 2012..The authors also sought to examine the relationship between quality and outcome in the CBT trials...
- HPA axis activation in major depression and response to fluoxetine: a pilot studyElizabeth A Young
Department of Psychiatry, The Mental Health Research Institute, University of Michigan, 205 Zina Pitcher Place, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0729, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 29:1198-204. 2004..This may reflect the greater severity of subjects with HPA axis dysregulation or the need to normalize the HPA axis with medications for optimal response...
- Lack of ventral striatal response to positive stimuli in depressed versus normal subjectsJane Epstein
Department of Psychiatry, Box 140, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:1784-90. 2006....
- Faster remission of chronic depression with combined psychotherapy and medication than with each therapy aloneRachel Manber
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 76:459-67. 2008..The authors conclude that combined antidepressant medications and psychotherapy result in faster full remission of chronic forms of major depressive disorder...
- The Prevention of Recurrent Episodes of Depression with Venlafaxine for Two Years (PREVENT) Study: Outcomes from the 2-year and combined maintenance phasesMartin B Keller
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown University, Providence, RI 02906, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 68:1246-56. 2007..To report second-year results from the 2-year maintenance phase of a long-term study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of venlafaxine extended release (ER) in preventing recurrence of depression...
- The Prevention of Recurrent Episodes of Depression with Venlafaxine for Two Years (PREVENT) study: outcomes from the acute and continuation phasesMartin B Keller
Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island 02906, USA
Biol Psychiatry 62:1371-9. 2007..We evaluated the comparative efficacy and safety of venlafaxine extended release (ER) and fluoxetine in the acute and continuation phases of treatment...
- Alternative interpretation of Swedish twin study findings on personality and major depressionJames H Kocsis
Arch Gen Psychiatry 64:1096. 2007
- Dropouts versus completers among chronically depressed outpatientsBruce A Arnow
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5722, United States
J Affect Disord 97:197-202. 2007..Premature termination is common among patients treated for depression with either pharmacotherapy or psychotherapy. Yet little is known about factors associated with premature treatment termination among depressed patients...
- A comparative trial of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy for "pure" dysthymic patientsJohn C Markowitz
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, United States
J Affect Disord 89:167-75. 2005..This article reports outcomes of an acute randomized trial of 94 subjects treated for 16 weeks with either interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT), brief supportive psychotherapy (BSP), sertraline, or sertraline plus IPT...
- Chronic depression: medication (nefazodone) or psychotherapy (CBASP) is effective when the other is notAlan F Schatzberg
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5717, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:513-20. 2005..Although various strategies are available to manage nonresponders to an initial treatment for depression, no controlled trials address the utility of switching from an antidepressant medication to psychotherapy or vice versa...
- Cognitive-behavioral analysis system of psychotherapy as a maintenance treatment for chronic depressionDaniel N Klein
Department of Psychology, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 72:681-8. 2004..The 2 conditions also differed significantly on change in depressive symptoms over time. These findings support the use of CBASP as a maintenance treatment for chronic forms of MDD...
- REVAMP Follow-Up StudyJAMES KOCSIS; Fiscal Year: 2008....