Affiliation: Cornell University
- Role of biological agents in immune-mediated inflammatory diseasesPetros Efthimiou
Hospital for Special Surgery, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
South Med J 98:192-204. 2005..Their role is currently being defined in other autoimmune disorders such as uveitis, sarcoidosis, interstitial lung disease, vasculitis, inflammatory myopathies, graft-versus-host disease, and Sjögren syndrome...
- Intravenous gammaglobulin and thalidomide may be an effective therapeutic combination in refractory scleromyxedema: case report and discussion of the literaturePetros Efthimiou
Section of Rheumatology, Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center, New York, NY 10451, USA
Semin Arthritis Rheum 38:188-94. 2008..Scleromyxedema is notoriously difficult to treat. Our objective was to suggest a new treatment option and to propose a novel tool, musculoskeletal ultrasound, for diagnosis and disease monitoring...
- Adult-onset Still's disease: pathogenesis, clinical manifestations and therapeutic advancesApostolos Kontzias
Department of Medicine, Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center, New York, New York 10451, USA
Drugs 68:319-37. 2008..Further progress has been hampered by the rarity and heterogeneity of the disease, which has not permitted the execution of randomized controlled studies...
- Complementary and alternative medicine use in rheumatoid arthritis: proposed mechanism of action and efficacy of commonly used modalitiesPetros Efthimiou
Rheumatology Division, Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center, Weill Cornell Medical College, 234 E 149th Street, New York, NY 10451, USA
Rheumatol Int 30:571-86. 2010..While the use of CAM modalities for the treatment of RA continues to increase, rigorous clinical trials examining their efficacy are necessary to validate or refute the clinical claims made for CAM therapies...
- T cell activation causes diarrhea by increasing intestinal permeability and inhibiting epithelial Na+/K+-ATPaseMark W Musch
The Martin Boyer Laboratories, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Clin Invest 110:1739-47. 2002..T cell activation induces luminal fluid accumulation by increasing mucosal permeability and reducing epithelial Na(+)/K(+)-ATPase activity leading to decreased intestinal Na(+) and water absorption...
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha in inflammatory myopathies: pathophysiology and therapeutic implicationsPetros Efthimiou
Division of Allergy, Immunology, and Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ, USA
Semin Arthritis Rheum 36:168-72. 2006....
- QuantiFERON TB Gold Test: the new standard for screening of latent tuberculosis in patients with rheumatoid arthritis?Petros Efthimiou
Ann Rheum Dis 66:276. 2007
- Adult-onset Still's disease: can recent advances in our understanding of its pathogenesis lead to targeted therapy?Petros Efthimiou
Division of Allergy, Immunology, and Rheumatology, New Jersey Medical School, and Rheumatology Clinic, University Hospital, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol 3:328-35. 2007..Recent advances in basic immunology have enhanced our ability to hinder the pathogenic mechanisms associated with adult-onset Still's disease and have led to a paradigm shift where targeted treatments have an increasingly important role...