Affiliation: Cornell University
- Total hip and total knee arthroplasties: trends and disparities revisitedHeejung Bang
Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Department of Public Health, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 39:E95-102. 2010..Our study also revealed that racial disparities were not confined to the elderly or to low-income populations. This may mean that there is an unmet need for these medical procedures among racial minorities...
- Tutorial in biostatistics: Analyzing associations between total plasma homocysteine and B vitamins using optimal categorization and segmented regressionHeejung Bang
Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Department of Public Health, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Neuroepidemiology 27:188-200. 2006..These methods are often complementary in discovering the underlying complex pattern of association...
- Screening for kidney disease in vascular patients: SCreening for Occult REnal Disease (SCORED) experienceHeejung Bang
Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Department of Public Health, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 24:2452-7. 2009..Recently, CKD screening in individuals with cardiovascular disease (CVD) has been emphasized. We therefore evaluated the SCORED model in CVD patients in order to better understand the implications of CKD screening in this population...
- Development and validation of a patient self-assessment score for diabetes riskHeejung Bang
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, and FOJP Service Corporation, New York, NY 10065, USA
Ann Intern Med 151:775-83. 2009..National guidelines disagree on who should be screened for undiagnosed diabetes. No existing diabetes risk score is highly generalizable or widely followed...
- On estimating treatment effects under non-compliance in randomized clinical trials: are intent-to-treat or instrumental variables analyses perfect solutions?Heejung Bang
Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Department of Public Health, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Stat Med 26:954-64. 2007..We found that intent-to-treat and instrumental variables estimators are not perfect and can be problematic in some situations although these two estimators carry desirable properties as we assume...
- Medical cost analysis: application to colorectal cancer data from the SEER Medicare databaseHeejung Bang
Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Department of Public Health, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 411 East 69th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Contemp Clin Trials 26:586-97. 2005..This approach would be greatly helpful to policy makers who seek to prioritize health care expenditures and to assess the elements of resource use...
- Doubly robust estimation in missing data and causal inference modelsHeejung Bang
Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Department of Public Health, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Biometrics 61:962-73. 2005..Indeed, we present the results of simulation studies which demonstrate that the finite sample performance of DR estimators is as impressive as theory would predict. The proposed method is applied to a cardiovascular clinical trial...
- Sample size calculation for simulation-based multiple-testing proceduresHeejung Bang
Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Department of Public Health, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York 10021, USA
J Biopharm Stat 15:957-67. 2005..We illustrate our method with a quality-of-life study for patients with early stage prostate cancer. Our method can also be used for comparing multiple independent groups...
- Noninvasive prognostication of polyomavirus BK virus-associated nephropathyDarshana Dadhania
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine, New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Transplantation 96:131-8. 2013..BK virus-associated nephropathy (BKVN) is associated with an increased risk of graft failure...
- Independent risk factors for urinary tract infection and for subsequent bacteremia or acute cellular rejection: a single-center report of 1166 kidney allograft recipientsJohn R Lee
1 Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine, New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 2 Department of Transplantation Medicine, New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 3 Division of Biostatistics, Department of Public Health Sciences, School of Medicine, University of California Davis, Davis, CA 4 The Rogosin Institute, New York, NY 5 Transplantation Oncology Infectious Diseases Program, Department of Medicine, New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 6 Division of Transplant Surgery, Department of Surgery, New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 7 Address correspondence to Thangamani Muthukumar, M D, Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine, and Department of Transplantation Medicine, New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell Medical College, 525 East 68th Street, Box 3, New York, NY
Transplantation 96:732-8. 2013..Urinary tract infection (UTI) is a frequent, serious complication in kidney allograft recipients...
- Do competence skills moderate the impact of social influences to drink and perceived social benefits of drinking on alcohol use among inner-city adolescents?Jennifer A Epstein
Department of Public Health, Institute for Prevention Research, Cornell University, Weill Medical College, New York, NY 10021, USA
Prev Sci 8:65-73. 2007..Competence skills served as protective factors, as well as moderators. One possible reason that competence enhancement approaches to alcohol prevention are effective may be due to the inclusion of the competence skills component...
- Letrozole reduces estrogen and gonadotropin exposure in women with breast cancer undergoing ovarian stimulation before chemotherapyKutluk Oktay
Fertility Preservation Program, Center for Reproductive Medicine and Infertility, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 505 East 70th Street, Suite HT300, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:3885-90. 2006..Women with breast cancer are not typically offered embryo or oocyte cryopreservation to preserve their fertility before chemotherapy because of the potential risks associated with high estrogen levels arising from ovarian stimulation...
- Which psychosocial factors moderate or directly affect substance use among inner-city adolescents?Jennifer A Epstein
Institute for Prevention Research, Department of Public Health, Cornell University, Weill Medical College, 411 East 69th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Addict Behav 32:700-13. 2007..Moreover, perceived peer smoking norms, siblings' smoking, and high risk-taking also showed significant main effects for increasing future smoking...
- Efficiency of oocyte cryopreservation: a meta-analysisKutluk Oktay
Fertility Preservation Program at Center for Reproductive Medicine and Infertility, New York, New York, USA
Fertil Steril 86:70-80. 2006..To determine the efficiency of oocyte cryopreservation relative to IVF with unfrozen oocytes...
- Implications of a new definition of vitamin D deficiency in a multiracial us adolescent population: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey IIISandy Saintonge
Weill Cornell Medical College, Department of Public Health, 411 E 69th St, New York, NY 10021, USA
Pediatrics 123:797-803. 2009....
- Breast cancer in men: prognostic factors, treatment patterns, and outcomeAkkamma Ravi
New York Hospital Queens, Flushing, USA
Am J Mens Health 6:51-8. 2012..Advanced age, higher stage, and increasing tumor size were unfavorable to survival in male breast carcinoma. The benefit of adjuvant radiation therapy should be addressed in future collaborative studies...
- Validation of noninvasive diagnosis of BK virus nephropathy and identification of prognostic biomarkersDarshana Dadhania
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine, New York Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Transplantation 90:189-97. 2010..The gold standard test is kidney biopsy, which is invasive and costly. A noninvasive, accurate biomarker for diagnosis of BKVN and prognostication of allograft function after BKVN infection may improve allograft survival...
- SCreening for Occult REnal Disease (SCORED): a simple prediction model for chronic kidney diseaseHeejung Bang
Department of Public Health, Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:374-81. 2007..Despite the wide availability and low cost of serum creatinine measurement, at-risk populations are not routinely tested for chronic kidney disease (CKD)...
- Age-specific probability of live birth with oocyte cryopreservation: an individual patient data meta-analysisAylin Pelin Cil
Innovation Institute for Fertility Preservation and IVF, New York, NY 10028, USA
Fertil Steril 100:492-9.e3. 2013..To estimate age-specific probabilities of live birth with oocyte cryopreservation in nondonor (ND) egg cycles...
- Weight changes and characteristics of patients associated with weight gain during inpatient psychiatric treatmentJinah K Shin
Department of Psychiatry, Elmhurst Hospital Center, Elmhurst, New York 11373, USA
Issues Ment Health Nurs 33:505-12. 2012..This study suggests that it may be possible to identify specific demographic characteristics that warrant more intensive clinical evaluation, although additional research is necessary...
- Cerebral oximetry desaturation during shoulder surgery performed in a sitting position under regional anesthesiaJacques T YaDeau
Department of Anesthesiology, Hospital for Special Surgery, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 10021, USA
Can J Anaesth 58:986-92. 2011..Hypotension in the sitting position may reduce cerebral perfusion and oxygenation. We prospectively determined the incidence of cerebral oximetry (rSO2) desaturation in seated patients undergoing ambulatory shoulder arthroscopy...
- Experimental statistics for biological sciencesHeejung Bang
Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
Methods Mol Biol 620:3-104. 2010....
- Absence of conclusive evidence for the safety and efficacy of gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogue treatment in protecting against chemotherapy-induced gonadal injuryKutluk Oktay
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Joan and Sanford I Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 505 East 70th Street, HT 340, New York, New York 10021, USA
Oncologist 12:1055-66. 2007..In this manuscript, we debate the rationale for the effectiveness of GnRH analogue coadministration in preservation of fertility by reviewing the literature, and provide preliminary data to support our views...
- A varying-coefficient model for the evaluation of time-varying concomitant intervention effects in longitudinal studiesColin O Wu
Office of Biostatistics Research, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Stat Med 27:3042-56. 2008..Our methods are demonstrated through a longitudinal clinical trial in depression and heart disease and a simulation study...
- Median regression with censored cost dataHeejung Bang
Department of Biostatistics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27514, USA
Biometrics 58:643-9. 2002..The methods are applied to a dataset for medical costs of patients with colorectal cancer...
- On the equivalence of some medical cost estimators with censored dataHongwei Zhao
Department of Biostatistics and Computational Biology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Stat Med 26:4520-30. 2007..We illustrate these relationships using an example from a clinical trial examining the effectiveness of implantable cardiac defibrillators in preventing death among people who had prior myocardial infarctions...
- The effect of a psychosocial intervention and quality of life after acute myocardial infarction: the Enhancing Recovery in Coronary Heart Disease (ENRICHD) clinical trialCarlos F Mendes de Leon
Department of Internal Medicine, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Cardiopulm Rehabil 26:9-13; quiz 14-5. 2006..This report analyzes the effect of the intervention on quality of life (QOL), which was an important secondary outcome...
- Sample size calculation for multiple testing in microarray data analysisSin Ho Jung
Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, Duke University, Box 2716, Durham, NC 27705, USA
Biostatistics 6:157-69. 2005..Through simulations and data analyses, we find that the proposed methods for testing and sample size calculation are computationally fast and control error and power precisely...
- Vitamin Intervention For Stroke Prevention trial: an efficacy analysisJ David Spence
The Stroke Prevention and Atherosclerosis Research Centre, Robarts Research Institute, London, Ontario, Canada
Stroke 36:2404-9. 2005..The criteria for this subgroup were defined before any data analysis...
- Estimating treatment effects in studies of perinatal transmission of HIVHeejung Bang
Department of Biostatistics, University of North Carolina, 137E Franklin Street, Suite 400, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 8030, USA
Biostatistics 5:31-43. 2004..We can further apply our methodology to the study of other vertically transmissible infections which are potentially fatal pre- and perinatally...
- Assessment of blinding in clinical trialsHeejung Bang
Department of Biostatistics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 137 E Franklin Street, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Control Clin Trials 25:143-56. 2004..It has the ability to detect a relatively low degree of blinding, response bias and different behaviors in two arms. The proposed method is applied to a clinical trial of cholesterol-lowering medication in a group of elderly people...
- Adiponectin and the development of type 2 diabetes: the atherosclerosis risk in communities studyBruce B Duncan
Graduate Studies Program in Epidemiology, UFRGS, Av Luiz Manoel Gonzaga, 630 8, Porto Alegre, RS 90470 280 Brazil
Diabetes 53:2473-8. 2004..01 for each). In conclusion, in this community-based sample of U.S. adults, higher adiponectin levels were associated with a lower incidence of diabetes...
- Lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2, high-sensitivity C-reactive protein, and risk for incident ischemic stroke in middle-aged men and women in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) studyChristie M Ballantyne
Section of Atherosclerosis and Lipoprotein Research, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, and Center for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Methodist DeBakey Heart Center, Houston, Tex 77030, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:2479-84. 2005..We assessed Lp-PLA2 and C-reactive protein (CRP) levels along with traditional risk factors to examine their relation to ischemic stroke...
- The role of herpes simplex virus type 2 and other genital infections in the acquisition of HIV-1 among high-risk women in northern TanzaniaSaidi H Kapiga
Department of Population and International Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Infect Dis 195:1260-9. 2007....
- A letter to the editor in reply to "susceptibility to guillain-barre syndrome is associated to polymorphisms of CD1 genes" by Caporale et al. in the J of Neuroimmunology (2006), 177:112-118Heejung Bang
J Neuroimmunol 186:201-2. 2007
- Association of diabetes, homocysteine, and HDL with cognition and disability after strokeGeorge C Newman
Department of Neurology, Albert Einstein Medical Center, 5401 Old York Road, Suite 300, Philadelphia, PA 19141, USA
Neurology 69:2054-62. 2007..To delineate factors associated with cognitive function following stroke and test the hypothesis that vascular risk factors associated with oxidative stress impair recovery...
- Association of C-reactive protein and microalbuminuria (from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys, 1999 to 2004)Abhijit V Kshirsagar
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, University of North Carolina Kidney Center, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Am J Cardiol 101:401-6. 2008..In conclusion, elevated CRP levels were associated with microalbuminuria in a large, nationally representative data set. Vascular inflammation, as measured by CRP, may be a common contributor to early heart and kidney disease...
- A Unified Approach of Cost-Effectiveness AnalysisHeejung Bang; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed methods do not compete with one another but are complementary, because they fulfill different tasks and would collectively provide a more comprehensive perspective for economic evaluations. ..
- A Unified Approach of Cost-Effectiveness AnalysisHeejung Bang; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed methods do not compete with one another but are complementary, because they fulfill different tasks and would collectively provide a more comprehensive perspective for economic evaluations. ..