Laura S Sadowski
Affiliation: Cook County Hospital and Rush Medical College
- Obesity and asthma morbidity in a community-based adult cohort in a large urban area: the Chicago Initiative to Raise Asthma Health Equity (CHIRAH)Leslie C Grammer
Division of Allergy Immunology, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Asthma 47:491-5. 2010....
- The world studies of abuse in the family environment (WorldSAFE): a model of a multi-national study of family violenceLaura S Sadowski
Department of Social Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
Inj Control Saf Promot 11:81-90. 2004..Thiruvananthapuram (India) formerly Trivandrum: Government Medical College, M.K.C. Nair (MD) and Rajamohanan Pillai (MD). Vellore (India): Christian Medical College, L. Jeyaseelan (PhD) and Abraham Peedicayil (MD)...
- Effect of a housing and case management program on emergency department visits and hospitalizations among chronically ill homeless adults: a randomized trialLaura S Sadowski
Collaborative Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Stroger Hospital of Cook County, 1900 W Polk St, Room 1606, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
JAMA 301:1771-8. 2009..Homeless adults, especially those with chronic medical illnesses, are frequent users of costly medical services, especially emergency department and hospital services...
- Ethnic disparities in asthma morbidity in ChicagoArthur T Evans
Collaborative Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Cook County Stroger Hospital and Rush Medical College, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
J Asthma 46:448-54. 2009..The role of ethnicity and socioeconomic status in explaining variations in asthma morbidity is unclear...
- The influence of caregiver's psychosocial status on childhood asthma and obesityLisa K Sharp
Department of Medicine, Section of Health Promotion Research, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60608, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 103:386-94. 2009..The prevalence of childhood asthma and childhood overweight has increased in the last 2 decades, disproportionately burdening ethnic minority children and those living in poverty with no clear understanding of underlying mechanisms...
- Intimate partner violence and the role of socioeconomic indicators in WorldSAFE communities in Chile, Egypt, India and the PhilippinesShrikant I Bangdiwala
Department of Biostatistics and Injury Prevention Research Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
Inj Control Saf Promot 11:101-9. 2004....
- The health impact of supportive housing for HIV-positive homeless patients: a randomized controlled trialDavid Buchanan
John Stroger Hospital of Cook County formerly Cook County Hospital, Chicago, IL, and Rush University, Chicago, USA
Am J Public Health 99:S675-80. 2009..We assessed the health impact of a housing and case management program, the Chicago Housing for Health Partnership, for homeless people with HIV...
- Azithromycin for acute bronchitis: a randomised, double-blind, controlled trialArthur T Evans
Collaborative Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Cook County Hospital and Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Lancet 359:1648-54. 2002..The value of azithromycin for treatment of acute bronchitis is unknown, even though this drug is commonly prescribed. We have investigated this question in a randomised, double-blind, controlled trial...
- Parental language and asthma among urban Hispanic childrenGiselle S Mosnaim
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 120:1160-5. 2007..Many Hispanics in the United States have limited English proficiency and prefer communicating in Spanish. Language barriers are known to adversely affect health care quality and outcomes...
- The impact of an enhanced interpreter service intervention on hospital costs and patient satisfactionElizabeth A Jacobs
Collaborative Research Unit, John H Stroger Jr Hospital of Cook County, 1900 West Polk Street, 16th Floor, Chicago, IL, USA
J Gen Intern Med 22:306-11. 2007..However, little is known about the costs they might bear because of unaddressed language barriers or the costs of providing language access services...
- Teaching cardiac examination skills. A controlled trial of two methodsChristopher A Smith
Department of Medicine, John H Stroger Jr Hospital of Cook County Cook County Hospital Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill 60612, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:7-12. 2006..To determine if structured teaching of bedside cardiac examination skills improves medical residents' examination technique and their identification of key clinical findings...
- Coping with asthma in immigrant Hispanic families: a focus group studyGiselle Mosnaim
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 97:477-83. 2006..Furthermore, such knowledge is necessary to develop culturally appropriate interventions for these families...
- World studies of abuse in the family environment--risk factors for physical intimate partner violenceL Jeyaseelan
Department of Biostatistics, Christian Medical College, Vellore, India
Inj Control Saf Promot 11:117-24. 2004..To identify risk factors for physical intimate partner violence against women in Chile, India, Egypt and the Philippines...
- Physical intimate partner violence in Chile, Egypt, India and the PhilippinesFatma Hassan
Faculty of Medicine, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt
Inj Control Saf Promot 11:111-6. 2004..Violence against women is recognized by globally as a serious health and social problem that impedes development...
- Training and field methods in the WorldSAFE collaboration to study family violenceWanda M Hunter
Injury Prevention Research Center, Department of Social Medicine University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
Inj Control Saf Promot 11:91-100. 2004..Our objectives are to share successes and difficulties encountered in training and field work and to offer recommendations for similar undertakings...
- Spousal physical violence against women during pregnancyAbraham Peedicayil
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore, India
BJOG 111:682-7. 2004..To determine the prevalence of physical violence during pregnancy and the factors associated with it...