Laura S Sadowski
Affiliation: Cook County Hospital and Rush Medical College
- Obesity and asthma morbidity in a community-based adult cohort in a large urban area: the Chicago Initiative to Raise Asthma Health Equity (CHIRAH)Leslie C Grammer
Division of Allergy Immunology, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Asthma 47:491-5. 2010....
- The world studies of abuse in the family environment (WorldSAFE): a model of a multi-national study of family violenceLaura S Sadowski
Department of Social Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
Inj Control Saf Promot 11:81-90. 2004..Thiruvananthapuram (India) formerly Trivandrum: Government Medical College, M.K.C. Nair (MD) and Rajamohanan Pillai (MD). Vellore (India): Christian Medical College, L. Jeyaseelan (PhD) and Abraham Peedicayil (MD)...
- Effect of a housing and case management program on emergency department visits and hospitalizations among chronically ill homeless adults: a randomized trialLaura S Sadowski
Collaborative Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Stroger Hospital of Cook County, 1900 W Polk St, Room 1606, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
JAMA 301:1771-8. 2009..Homeless adults, especially those with chronic medical illnesses, are frequent users of costly medical services, especially emergency department and hospital services...
- Ethnic disparities in asthma morbidity in ChicagoArthur T Evans
Collaborative Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Cook County Stroger Hospital and Rush Medical College, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
J Asthma 46:448-54. 2009..The role of ethnicity and socioeconomic status in explaining variations in asthma morbidity is unclear...
- The influence of caregiver's psychosocial status on childhood asthma and obesityLisa K Sharp
Department of Medicine, Section of Health Promotion Research, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60608, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 103:386-94. 2009..The prevalence of childhood asthma and childhood overweight has increased in the last 2 decades, disproportionately burdening ethnic minority children and those living in poverty with no clear understanding of underlying mechanisms...
- Intimate partner violence and the role of socioeconomic indicators in WorldSAFE communities in Chile, Egypt, India and the PhilippinesShrikant I Bangdiwala
Department of Biostatistics and Injury Prevention Research Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
Inj Control Saf Promot 11:101-9. 2004....
- The health impact of supportive housing for HIV-positive homeless patients: a randomized controlled trialDavid Buchanan
John Stroger Hospital of Cook County formerly Cook County Hospital, Chicago, IL, and Rush University, Chicago, USA
Am J Public Health 99:S675-80. 2009..We assessed the health impact of a housing and case management program, the Chicago Housing for Health Partnership, for homeless people with HIV...
- Azithromycin for acute bronchitis: a randomised, double-blind, controlled trialArthur T Evans
Collaborative Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Cook County Hospital and Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Lancet 359:1648-54. 2002..The value of azithromycin for treatment of acute bronchitis is unknown, even though this drug is commonly prescribed. We have investigated this question in a randomised, double-blind, controlled trial...
- Parental language and asthma among urban Hispanic childrenGiselle S Mosnaim
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 120:1160-5. 2007..Many Hispanics in the United States have limited English proficiency and prefer communicating in Spanish. Language barriers are known to adversely affect health care quality and outcomes...
- The impact of an enhanced interpreter service intervention on hospital costs and patient satisfactionElizabeth A Jacobs
Collaborative Research Unit, John H Stroger Jr Hospital of Cook County, 1900 West Polk Street, 16th Floor, Chicago, IL, USA
J Gen Intern Med 22:306-11. 2007..However, little is known about the costs they might bear because of unaddressed language barriers or the costs of providing language access services...
- Teaching cardiac examination skills. A controlled trial of two methodsChristopher A Smith
Department of Medicine, John H Stroger Jr Hospital of Cook County Cook County Hospital Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill 60612, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:7-12. 2006..To determine if structured teaching of bedside cardiac examination skills improves medical residents' examination technique and their identification of key clinical findings...
- Coping with asthma in immigrant Hispanic families: a focus group studyGiselle Mosnaim
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 97:477-83. 2006..Furthermore, such knowledge is necessary to develop culturally appropriate interventions for these families...
- World studies of abuse in the family environment--risk factors for physical intimate partner violenceL Jeyaseelan
Department of Biostatistics, Christian Medical College, Vellore, India
Inj Control Saf Promot 11:117-24. 2004..To identify risk factors for physical intimate partner violence against women in Chile, India, Egypt and the Philippines...
- Physical intimate partner violence in Chile, Egypt, India and the PhilippinesFatma Hassan
Faculty of Medicine, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt
Inj Control Saf Promot 11:111-6. 2004..Violence against women is recognized by globally as a serious health and social problem that impedes development...
- Training and field methods in the WorldSAFE collaboration to study family violenceWanda M Hunter
Injury Prevention Research Center, Department of Social Medicine University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
Inj Control Saf Promot 11:91-100. 2004..Our objectives are to share successes and difficulties encountered in training and field work and to offer recommendations for similar undertakings...
- Spousal physical violence against women during pregnancyAbraham Peedicayil
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore, India
BJOG 111:682-7. 2004..9% of women experienced moderate to severe physical violence during pregnancy. Suspicion of infidelity, dowry harassment, husband being regularly drunk and low education of husband were the main risk factors for violence during pregnancy...