Brendan M Reilly
Affiliation: Cook County Hospital and Rush Medical College
- Firm-based trial to improve central venous catheter insertion practicesJulio A Miranda
Department of Medicine, Cook County Stroger Hospital, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Hosp Med 2:135-42. 2007..Central venous catheters placed in femoral veins increase the risk of complications. At our institution, residents place most catheters in the femoral vein...
- Translating clinical research into clinical practice: impact of using prediction rules to make decisionsBrendan M Reilly
Cook County Stroger Hospital and Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Ann Intern Med 144:201-9. 2006..These considerations should inform future development, evaluation, and use of all clinical prediction or decision rules...
- A piece of my mind. In memoriamBrendan M Reilly
JAMA 292:1153-4. 2004
- Inconvenient truths about effective clinical teachingBrendan M Reilly
Department of Medicine, Cook County Stroger Hospital, Rush Medical College, Chicago IL 60612, USA
Lancet 370:705-11. 2007
- Physical examination in the care of medical inpatients: an observational studyBrendan M Reilly
Department of Medicine, Cook County Hospital and Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Lancet 362:1100-5. 2003..Little is known about the clinical importance of skilled physical examination in the care of patients in hospital...
- Clinical problem-solving. Easy to see but hard to findBrendan M Reilly
Department of Medicine, Cook County Hospital and Rush Medical College, Chicago, USA
N Engl J Med 348:59-64. 2003
- Impact of a clinical decision rule on hospital triage of patients with suspected acute cardiac ischemia in the emergency departmentBrendan M Reilly
Department of Medicine, Room 2129, 1835 W Harrison St, Cook County Hospital, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
JAMA 288:342-50. 2002..Emergency department (ED) physicians often are uncertain about where in the hospital to triage patients with suspected acute cardiac ischemia. Many patients are triaged unnecessarily to intensive or intermediate cardiac care units...
- Evaluating the performance of inpatient attending physicians: a new instrument for today's teaching hospitalsChristopher A Smith
Department of Medicine, Cook County, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Gen Intern Med 19:766-71. 2004..We developed a new instrument to evaluate attending physicians on medical inpatient services and tested its reliability and validity...
- Prospective cohort study of central venous catheters among internal medicine ward patientsWilliam E Trick
Department of Medicine, Stroger Hospital of Cook County and Rush Medical College, 1900 W Polk Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Am J Infect Control 34:636-41. 2006..Central venous catheter (CVC) use is less well described for patients outside the intensive care unit. We evaluated CVCs and the associated bloodstream infection rate among patients admitted to the general medical service...
- Triage of patients with chest pain in the emergency department: a comparative study of physicians' decisionsBrendan M Reilly
Departments of Medicine and Emergency Medicine, Cook County Hospital and Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Am J Med 112:95-103. 2002..Little is known about physicians' triage decisions for patients with chest pain in the emergency department. We sought to understand better the variability and accuracy of physicians' triage decisions...
- The impact of evidence on physicians' inpatient treatment decisionsBrian P Lucas
Department of Medicine, John H Stroger, Jr Hospital of Cook County and Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Gen Intern Med 19:402-9. 2004..We investigated whether physicians would change inpatient treatment if presented with the results of a literature search...
- Clinical problem-solving. On the threshold--a diagnosis of exclusionPeter Clarke
Department of Medicine, Cook County Hospital, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
N Engl J Med 352:919-24. 2005
- Glycemic and lipid control among patients with diabetes at six U.S. public hospitalsLisa D Chew
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Washington Harborview Medical Center, 325 9th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 19:1060-75. 2008..While public hospital systems care for large numbers of socioeconomically vulnerable and ethnically diverse populations who have diabetes, little is known about the quality of diabetes care provided in these sites...
- Physical examination: bewitched, bothered and bewilderedBrendan M Reilly
Med J Aust 182:375-6. 2005..Next to nothing is known about physical findings' impact on patient care...
- Assessment of patients with chest painBrendan M Reilly
Ann Intern Med 141:325; author reply 326. 2004
- The essence of EBMBrendan M Reilly
BMJ 329:991-2. 2004