Affiliation: Columbia University
- Substance use and high risk sexual behaviors among women in psychosocial outpatient and methadone maintenance treatment programsSusan Tross
Columbia University Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 35:368-74. 2009....
- NIDA's Clinical Trials Network: an opportunity for HIV research in community substance abuse treatment programsSusan Tross
HIV Center for Clinical and Behavioral Studies, New York State Psychiatric Institute, NY 10032, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 37:283-93. 2011..This article presents the HIV activities of the CTN during its first 10 years...
- Effectiveness of HIV/STD sexual risk reduction groups for women in substance abuse treatment programs: results of NIDA Clinical Trials Network TrialSusan Tross
Department of Psychiatry, HIV Center for Clinical and Behavioral Studies, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 48:581-9. 2008..Because drug-involved women are among the fastest growing groups with AIDS, sexual risk reduction intervention for them is a public health imperative...
- Predictors of relationship power among drug-involved womenAimee N C Campbell
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY, USA
AIDS Behav 16:1532-41. 2012..Results contribute to the understanding of factors which may influence relationship power and to their potential role in HIV sexual risk reduction interventions...
- Substance use, childhood sexual abuse, and sexual risk behavior among women in methadone treatmentLisa R Cohen
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York, USA lc21302columbia edu
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 35:305-10. 2009..Substance use and a history of childhood sexual abuse (CSA) are risk factors for unprotected sex among women, yet questions remain as to how their combined influence may differentially affect sexual risk...
- Female condom skill and attitude: results from a NIDA Clinical Trials Network gender-specific HIV risk reduction studyAimee N C Campbell
New York State Psychiatric Institute, Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 23:329-40. 2011..The study supports the use of female condom skill instruction via brief, hands-on exercises, as well as further research to enhance attitudinal change to reduce sexual risk...
- Relationship power and sexual risk among women in community-based substance abuse treatmentAimee N C Campbell
Substance Abuse Division, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Urban Health 86:951-64. 2009..Possible explanations for these findings are discussed, and future research directions for examining power constructs and developing interventions targeting relationship power among drug-involved women are suggested...
- Comparison of HIV/AIDS-specific quality of life change in Zimbabwean patients at western medicine versus traditional African medicine care sitesTonya N Taylor
Department of Psychiatrics, HIV Center for Clinical and Behavioral Studies, New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 49:552-6. 2008....
- Multisite effectiveness trials of treatments for substance abuse and co-occurring problems: have we chosen the best designs?Edward V Nunes
Columbia University Department of Psychiatry, New York State Psychiatric Institute, National Drug Abuse Clinical Trials Network, Long Island Node, New York, NY, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 38:S97-112. 2010..Based on this review, recommendations are generated to inform the design of future effectiveness trials on treatments for substance abuse, HIV risk, and other behavioral health problems...
- A randomized, open-label, controlled trial of gabapentin and phenobarbital in the treatment of alcohol withdrawalJohn J Mariani
Department of Psychiatry, Division on Substance Abuse, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Am J Addict 15:76-84. 2006..Given gabapentin's favorable pharmacokinetic profile, further study of its effectiveness in treating alcohol withdrawal is warranted...
- Substance use disorders and HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment intervention: research and practice considerationsAimee N C Campbell
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY 10032, USA
Soc Work Public Health 28:333-48. 2013....
- Randomized controlled trial of a cognitive-behavioral intervention for HIV-positive persons: an investigation of treatment effects on psychosocial adjustmentAdam W Carrico
Department of Psychiatry, Health Psychology Program, University of California, San Francisco, 3333 California St, Suite 465, Box 0848, San Francisco, CA 94143 0848, USA
AIDS Behav 13:555-63. 2009..More intensive mental health interventions may be necessary to improve psychosocial adjustment among HIV-positive individuals...
- Reliability and validity of two HIV/AIDS-specific quality of life instruments adapted for use in HIV-positive ZimbabweansTonya N Taylor
HIV Center for Clinical and Behavioral Studies at New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
AIDS Care 21:598-607. 2009..The reliability and validity of most Shona-adapted HAT-QoL and MOS-HIV dimensions suggest that both instruments are likely useful in measuring the QoL of rural, Shona-speaking populations in Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Zambia, and Botswana...
- A review of HIV/AIDS system-level interventionsJose A Bauermeister
HIV Center for Clinical and Behavioral Studies, New York State Psychiatric Institute, and Columbia University, Unit 15, 1051 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10032, USA
AIDS Behav 13:430-48. 2009..Based on our findings, we propose recommendations for future work in developing and evaluating system-level interventions...
- Alcohol consumption patterns: gay and lesbian urban ethnic minority membersSean R Chappin
Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, New York, USA
Subst Abus 31:71-3. 2010..Although there have been reports of increased rates of alcohol use and alcohol related problems in the lesbian and gay population, this is not reflected in this sample...
- Social factors associated with AIDS and SARSDon C Des Jarlais
Beth Israel Medical Center, 160 Water Street, 24th Floor, New York, NY 10038, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 11:1767-9. 2005..We conducted a survey of 928 New York City area residents to assess knowledge and worry about AIDS and SARS. Specific sociodemographic groups of persons were more likely to be less informed and more worried about contracting the diseases...
- Effects of behavioral intervention on substance use among people living with HIV: the Healthy Living Project randomized controlled studyF Lennie Wong
University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Addiction 103:1206-14. 2008..Reductions in substance use were examined in response to an intensive intervention with people living with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) (PLH)...
- AIDS research in the NIDA Clinical Trials Network: emerging resultsJames L Sorensen
Drug Alcohol Depend 89:310-3. 2007