Affiliation: Columbia University
- Evolving applications of light therapyMichael Terman
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York State Psychiatric Institute, 1051 Riverside Drive, Unit 50, New York, NY 10032, USA
Sleep Med Rev 11:497-507. 2007....
- Bright light therapy: side effects and benefits across the symptom spectrumM Terman
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 60:799-808; quiz 809. 1999..This study broadens the purview to a set of 88 physical and subjective symptoms that might emerge, remit, or remain unchanged relative to baseline, thus reducing bias toward assessment of presumed side effects...
- Controlled trial of naturalistic dawn simulation and negative air ionization for seasonal affective disorderMichael Terman
Department of Biopsychology, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:2126-33. 2006..This trial assessed two novel nonpharmaceutical treatments for winter depression-naturalistic dawn simulation and high-density negative air ionization-delivered during the final hours of sleep...
- Light therapy for seasonal and nonseasonal depression: efficacy, protocol, safety, and side effectsMichael Terman
Clinical Chronobiology, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY 10032, USA
CNS Spectr 10:647-63; quiz 672. 2005..Importantly, light therapy provides a compatible adjunct to antidepressant medication, which can result in accelerated improvement and fewer residual symptoms...
- A controlled trial of timed bright light and negative air ionization for treatment of winter depressionM Terman
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York 10032, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 55:875-82. 1998..Past studies, however, have lacked adequate placebo controls or sufficient power to detect group differences. The importance of time of day of treatment--specifically, morning light superiority--has remained controversial...
- Jet lag: clinical features, validation of a new syndrome-specific scale, and lack of response to melatonin in a randomized, double-blind trialR L Spitzer
New York State Psychiatric Institute, NY 10032, USA
Am J Psychiatry 156:1392-6. 1999..The goals of this study were to validate a new rating scale for measuring severity of jet lag and to compare the efficacy of contrasting melatonin regimens to alleviate jet lag...
- Twilights widen the range of photic entrainment in hamstersZiad Boulos
New York State Psychiatric Institute and Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York 10032, USA
J Biol Rhythms 17:353-63. 2002....
- Circadian time of morning light administration and therapeutic response in winter depressionJ S Terman
New York State Psychiatric Institute, 1051 Riverside Dr, Unit 50, New York, NY 10032, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 58:69-75. 2001..CONCLUSION: The antidepressant effect of light is potentiated by early-morning administration in circadian time, optimally about 8.5 hours after melatonin onset or 2.5 hours after the sleep midpoint...
- Light therapy for bipolar disorder: a case series in womenDorothy Sit
Women s Behavioral HealthCARE, Department of Psychiatry, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Bipolar Disord 9:918-27. 2007..To perform a dose-ranging safety and efficacy study of bright light therapy for depression in women with bipolar disorder (BD)...
- Randomized clinical trial of bright light therapy for antepartum depression: preliminary findingsC Neill Epperson
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, University Towers Suite 2H, 100 York Street, New Haven, CT 06511, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 65:421-5. 2004..Bright light therapy was shown to be a promising treatment for depression during pregnancy in a recent open-label study. In an extension of this work, we report findings from a double-blind placebo-controlled pilot study...
- Dimensions of temperament and bright light response in seasonal affective disorderNamni Goel
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, 10032, New York, NY, USA
Psychiatry Res 119:89-97. 2003..This is the first study to demonstrate that HA is state- rather than trait-dependent in seasonal affective disorder. The TPQ dimensions of temperament do not predict response to light therapy...
- Depressive symptomatology differentiates subgroups of patients with seasonal affective disorderNamni Goel
Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
Depress Anxiety 15:34-41. 2002..Lightly pigmented eyes, in particular, may serve to enhance photic input during winter and allay depressive symptoms in vulnerable populations...
- An open trial of morning light therapy for treatment of antepartum depressionDan A Oren
Pychiatry Department, Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA
Am J Psychiatry 159:666-9. 2002..No pharmacotherapy is specifically approved for antepartum depression; novel treatment approaches may be welcome. The authors explored the use of morning bright light therapy for antepartum depression...
- Brightening depressionAnna Wirz-Justice
Science 303:467-9. 2004
- Short-wavelength sensitivity of the human circadian system to phase-advancing lightVictoria L Revell
J Biol Rhythms 20:270-2. 2005
- Chronotherapeutics (light and wake therapy) in affective disordersAnna Wirz-Justice
Psychol Med 35:939-44. 2005..3) Given the urgent need for new strategies to treat patients with residual depressive symptoms, clinical trials of wake therapy and/or adjuvant light therapy, coupled with follow-up studies of long-term recurrence, are a high priority...
- Controlled trial of bright light and negative air ions for chronic depressionNamni Goel
Department of Psychology, 207 High Street, Judd Hall, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT 06459, USA
Psychol Med 35:945-55. 2005..Both methods have shown clinical success for seasonal affective disorder (SAD)...
- LIGHT THERAPY FOR SEASONAL AFFECTIVE DISORDERMichael Terman; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- LIGHT THERAPY FOR SEASONAL AFFECTIVE DISORDERMichael Terman; Fiscal Year: 1990..The study aims to estimate reliably the proportion of S.A.D. patients who show clinically significant improvement under Light Therapy, and the magnitude of the effect relative to a set of credible comparison "placebo" conditions...
- LIGHTION THERAPY FOR SEASONAL AFFECTIVE DISORMichael Terman; Fiscal Year: 2003....