D C Paik
Affiliation: Columbia University
- Ongoing angiogenesis in blood vessels of the abdominal aortic aneurysmDavid C Paik
Department of Ophthalmology and Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Exp Mol Med 36:524-33. 2004..The upregulation of av mRNA and the avb3 integrin in blood vessels surrounded by a matrix expressing tenascin, indicates that angiogenesis is an ongoing process in the mature aortic aneurysm...
- Initial studies using aliphatic beta-nitro alcohols for therapeutic corneal cross-linkingDavid C Paik
Department of Ophthalmology, Edward S Harkness Eye Institute, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:1098-105. 2009..Thus, this study was undertaken to evaluate these agents as potential pharmacologic alternatives to UVAR...
- Phlegmonous gastritis and group A streptococcal toxic shock syndrome in a patient following functional endoscopic sinus surgeryDavid C Paik
Department of Surgery, Christiana Care Health System, Christiana Hospital, Newark, DE, USA
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 11:545-9. 2010..The etiology remains unclear, although Streptococcus species is isolated frequently. The optimum treatment has not been delineated clearly but likely involves a combination of antibiotics with or without surgical resection...
- The nitrite/collagen reaction: non-enzymatic nitration as a model system for age-related damageD C Paik
Harkness Eye Institute, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Connect Tissue Res 42:111-22. 2001..Thus, we propose non-enzymatic nitration as an in vitro model system for human collagen age-related damage...
- Aliphatic beta-nitroalcohols for therapeutic corneoscleral cross-linking: chemical mechanisms and higher order nitroalcoholsDavid C Paik
Department of Ophthalmology, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:836-43. 2010..The present study was performed to identify the specific chemistry involved under physiologic conditions, with the intent of identifying more effective agents...
- Nitrite-induced cross-linking alters remodeling and mechanical properties of collagenous engineered tissuesDavid C Paik
Department of Ophthalmology, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Connect Tissue Res 47:163-76. 2006..Thus, we concluded that NEN reactions may contribute to alterations in the biomechanical properties of collagen-containing tissues consistent with the age-related functional decline observed in human disease...
- Short chain aliphatic beta-nitro alcohols for corneoscleral cross-linking: corneal endothelial toxicity studiesDavid C Paik
Dept of Ophthalmology, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, 635 W 165th St, Rm 840, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Refract Surg 24:S741-7. 2008..The present study was conducted to determine the cytotoxic threshold for these agents in vitro and to draw comparisons to commonly used topical ophthalmic agents...
- Aliphatic beta-nitro alcohols for non-enzymatic collagen cross-linking of scleral tissueDavid C Paik
Department of Ophthalmology, Edward S Harkness Eye Institute, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA
Exp Eye Res 87:279-85. 2008..Since beta-nitro alcohols are known to have reasonable toxicity profiles, these agents could find utility as pharmacologic cross-linking agents for scleral thinning disease...
- The nitrite/elastin reaction: implications for in vivo degenerative effectsD C Paik
Department of Surgery, Columbia University, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, USA
Connect Tissue Res 36:241-51. 1997....
- Oxindolealanine in age-related human cataractsLilia A Rousseva
Department of Ophthalmology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Exp Eye Res 85:861-8. 2007..The results suggest that OIA levels are elevated in human cataractous lenses thus providing further evidence to implicate tryptophan oxidation in this process...
- Consumption of cured meats and prospective risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in womenRui Jiang
Department of Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 87:1002-8. 2008..Nitrites generate oxidative-nitrative stress and were shown in animal models to cause emphysema. Prospective epidemiologic data on cured meats and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), however, are sparse...
- Nitrite-modified extracellular matrix proteins deleteriously affect retinal pigment epithelial cell function and viability: a comparison study with nonenzymatic glycation mechanismsZhen Wang
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Illinois 60115, USA
Curr Eye Res 30:691-702. 2005..As a comparison, retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) cell behavior on glycolaldehyde-modified matrices (GMM) was also studied...