Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Columbia University
- Stromal cells mediate retinoid-dependent functions essential for renal developmentC Mendelsohn
Columbia University, Department of Urology, New York, NY 10032, USA
Development 126:1139-48. 1999..Since c-ret signaling is required for ureteric bud morphogenesis, loss of c-ret expression is a likely cause of impaired ureteric bud branching in RARalpha beta2(-) mutants...
- The Tnfrh1 (Tnfrsf23) gene is weakly imprinted in several organs and expressed at the trophoblast-decidua interfaceLorraine Clark
Institute for Cancer Genetics, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, USA
BMC Genet 3:11. 2002..Although other genes in this chromosomal region show conserved synteny with genes on human Chr11p15.5, there are no obvious human orthologues of Tnfrh1 or Tnfrh2...
- Going in circles: conserved mechanisms control radial patterning in the urinary and digestive tractsCathy Mendelsohn
Department of Urology, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Clin Invest 116:635-7. 2006..Deletion of Tbx18 resulted in defective urothelial differentiation at the level of the ureter, suggesting that Tbx18 acts via mesenchyme as an important regulator of A-P patterning in the urinary tract...
- Functional obstruction: the renal pelvis rulesCathy Mendelsohn
Department of Urology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Clin Invest 113:957-9. 2004..New animal models reveal molecular pathways important for peristalsis and point to the central role of the renal pelvis in urine transport...
- Stromal progenitors are important for patterning epithelial and mesenchymal cell types in the embryonic kidneyRandy Levinson
Department of Urology, Columbia University, 650 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Semin Cell Dev Biol 14:225-31. 2003....
- Non-cell-autonomous retinoid signaling is crucial for renal developmentCarolina Rosselot
Department of Urology, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032 USA
Development 137:283-92. 2010....
- Nephric duct insertion is a crucial step in urinary tract maturation that is regulated by a Gata3-Raldh2-Ret molecular network in miceIan Chia
Department of Urology, Columbia University, 1130 St Nicholas Avenue, New York, NY 10032, USA
Development 138:2089-97. 2011....
- Ret-dependent cell rearrangements in the Wolffian duct epithelium initiate ureteric bud morphogenesisXuan Chi
Department of Genetics and Development, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Dev Cell 17:199-209. 2009..Thus, both Ret-dependent cell movements and Ret-independent changes in the Wolffian duct epithelium contribute to ureteric bud formation...
- Retinoid inactivation: survival factor for male germ cellsWilliam S Blaner
Department of Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Endocrinology 148:4557-9. 2007
- Regulated expression of ATF5 is required for the progression of neural progenitor cells to neuronsJames M Angelastro
Department of Pathology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Neurosci 23:4590-600. 2003..These findings indicate that ATF5 blocks the differentiation of neuroprogenitor cells into neurons and must be downregulated to permit this process to occur...
- The development of the bladder trigone, the center of the anti-reflux mechanismRenata Viana
Columbia University, Department of Urology, 650 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Development 134:3763-9. 2007..These studies suggest that urinary tract development occurs differently than previously thought, providing new insights into the mechanisms underlying normal and abnormal development...
- Lack of major involvement of human uroplakin genes in vesicoureteral reflux: implications for disease heterogeneitySongshan Jiang
Epithelial Biology Unit, Ronald O Perelman Department of Dermatology, Kaplan Comprehensive Cancer Center, New York University Medical School, New York, New York, USA
Kidney Int 66:10-9. 2004..Recent studies indicate that genetic ablation of mouse uroplakin (UP) III gene, which encodes a 47 kD urothelial-specific integral membrane protein forming urothelial plaques, causes VUR and hydronephrosis...
- Pathways of vitamin A delivery to the embryo: insights from a new tunable model of embryonic vitamin A deficiencyLoredana Quadro
Institute of Cancer Research, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Endocrinology 146:4479-90. 2005..Finally, we demonstrate that accumulation of embryonic vitamin A stores does not depend on the expression of RBP in the fetal liver...
- Distal ureter morphogenesis depends on epithelial cell remodeling mediated by vitamin A and RetEkatherina Batourina
Department of Urology, Columbia University, 630 West 168th Street, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nat Genet 32:109-15. 2002..Our studies indicate that formation of the trigonal wedge may be essential for correct insertion of the distal ureters into the bladder, and that these events are mediated by the vitamin A and Ret signaling pathways...
- c-kit delineates a distinct domain of progenitors in the developing kidneyKai M Schmidt-Ott
Department of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA
Dev Biol 299:238-49. 2006..These data suggest that ureteric bud-derived SCF elicits growth-promoting effects in the metanephric kidney by expanding one or more components of the interstitial c-kit-positive progenitor pool...
- Distinct and sequential tissue-specific activities of the LIM-class homeobox gene Lim1 for tubular morphogenesis during kidney developmentAkio Kobayashi
Program in Developmental Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Development 132:2809-23. 2005..We also demonstrate that the nephric duct is essential for the elongation and maintenance of the adjacent Mullerian duct, the anlage of the female reproductive tract...
- Foxd1-dependent signals control cellularity in the renal capsule, a structure required for normal renal developmentRandy S Levinson
Department of Urology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Development 132:529-39. 2005....
- Apoptosis induced by vitamin A signaling is crucial for connecting the ureters to the bladderEkatherina Batourina
Columbia University, Department of Urology, 650 West 168th Street, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nat Genet 37:1082-9. 2005..These studies provide an explanation for ureter defects underlying some forms of obstruction in humans and redefine the current model of ureter maturation...
- CORE--ANIMAL FACILITYCathy Mendelsohn; Fiscal Year: 2002..To facilitate the sharing of animals, data and ideas between the individual research projects. ..
- Molecular Events in Urinary Tract FormationCathy Mendelsohn; Fiscal Year: 2009..Understanding the normal mechanism by which RA and Ret regulate ureter insertion will lead to a deeper understand of the causes of LUT obstruction in humans. ..
- Molecular Events in Urinary Tract FormationCathy Mendelsohn; Fiscal Year: 2007..Results of these experiments will ultimately provide insight into the cellular and molecular defects causing urogenital abnormalities. ..
- Molecular Events in Urinary Tract FormationCathy L Mendelsohn; Fiscal Year: 2010..These findings should help in our general understanding of the abnormalities underlying urinary tract birth defects in humans and may help to identify new ways to intervene or repair urinary tract malformations in newborns. ..