Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Columbia University
- Solid tumor differentiation therapy - is it possible?Filemon Dela Cruz
Division of Pediatric Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, USA
Oncotarget 3:559-67. 2012....
- Hiwi mediated tumorigenesis is associated with DNA hypermethylationSara Siddiqi
Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbia University, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e33711. 2012....
- Adjuvant chemotherapy in 2011 for patients with soft-tissue sarcomaIgor Matushansky
Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center, 177 Fort Washington Avenue, Milstein Hospital Building 6 435, New York, NY 10032, USA
Nat Rev Clin Oncol 8:434-8. 2011..This Perspectives article examines data that support or refute the use of adjuvant chemotherapy in the treatment of soft-tissue sarcomas...
- MFH classification: differentiating undifferentiated pleomorphic sarcoma in the 21st CenturyIgor Matushansky
Department of Medicine, Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 9:1135-44. 2009..This manuscript will highlight MFH's troubled history, discuss recent advances, and comment as to what the coming years may promise and what further needs to be done to make sure that progress continues...
- A context dependent role for Wnt signaling in tumorigenesis and stem cellsIgor Matushansky
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
Cell Cycle 7:720-4. 2008..In this review, we will highlight the diverse effect of Wnt signaling on three types of tissue stem cells and their corresponding malignancies...
- Derivation of sarcomas from mesenchymal stem cells via inactivation of the Wnt pathwayIgor Matushansky
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Clin Invest 117:3248-57. 2007..Our results provide mechanistic insights regarding the cell of origin of MFH, establish what we believe is a novel tumor suppressor role for Wnt signaling, and identify a potential therapeutic differentiation strategy for sarcomas...
- A developmental model of sarcomagenesis defines a differentiation-based classification for liposarcomasIgor Matushansky
Department of Pathology, Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbia University, 1130 St Nicholas Avenue, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Pathol 172:1069-80. 2008..Our results indicate that a degree of developmental maturity can be quantitatively assigned to solid tumors, supporting the notion that transformation of a solid tumor stem cell can occur at distinct stages of maturation...
- PPARγ agonists enhance ET-743-induced adipogenic differentiation in a transgenic mouse model of myxoid round cell liposarcomaElizabeth Charytonowicz
Department of Pathology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
J Clin Invest 122:886-98. 2012....
- Epigenetic remodeling of chromatin architecture: exploring tumor differentiation therapies in mesenchymal stem cells and sarcomasSara Siddiqi
Integrated Program, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, New York, USA
Curr Stem Cell Res Ther 5:63-73. 2010..This review will focus on the importance of epigenetic chromatin remodeling in the context of mesenchymal stem cells, sarcoma tumorigenesis and differentiation therapy...
- The AKT-mTOR pathway plays a critical role in the development of leiomyosarcomasEva Hernando
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Nat Med 13:748-53. 2007....
- Chromatin structure predicts epigenetic therapy responsiveness in sarcomaJoslyn Mills
Department of Pathology, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 10:313-24. 2011..Our results provide the first demonstration of a gene set that can predict responsiveness to HDACI/DNA-MI and links this responsiveness mechanistically to the baseline chromatin structure...
- Characterization and comparison of the properties of sarcoma cell lines in vitro and in vivoJoslyn Mills
Department of Pathology, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Hum Cell 22:85-93. 2009..Integration of functional genomics or other more sophisticated assays of cell lines may help bridge the differences in vitro and in vivo...
- A transgenic, mesodermal specific, Dkk1 mouse model recapitulates a spectrum of human congenital limb reduction defectsFilemon Dela Cruz
Division of Pediatric Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, Columbia University Medical Center, 161 Fort Washington Ave, IP 7, New York, NY 10032, USA
Differentiation 83:220-30. 2012..We believe Prx1-Dkk1 mice may prove useful in the future to study the mechanisms underlying the development of congenital limb reduction defects...
- Chemotherapy use in elderly patients with soft tissue sarcoma: a population-based studyIgor Matushansky
Departments of Medicine, Columbia University, NY, USA
Cancer Invest 31:83-91. 2013..Consistent with clinical trials, we found minimal use of chemotherapy. Clinical factors were associated with chemotherapy receipt in nonmetastatic STS...
- Piwis and piwi-interacting RNAs in the epigenetics of cancerSara Siddiqi
Integrated Program, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
J Cell Biochem 113:373-80. 2012..This review will highlight the current evidence supporting the importance of Piwi and piRNAs in the epigenetics of cancer and provide a potential model for the role of Piwi and piRNAs in tumorigenesis...
- MicroRNAs in chromosomal translocation-associated solid tumors: learning from sarcomasFilemon Dela Cruz
Division of Pediatric Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York 10032, USA
Discov Med 12:307-17. 2011..The methodological approaches utilized in the study of miR biology and development of miR-based treatment regimens can serve as a paradigm for future investigations in other translocation-associated solid tumors...
- Mechanisms of sarcomagenesisIgor Matushansky
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 19:427-49, v. 2005..Finally, the ways in which these advances in basic science are translating into and redefining clinical practice are highlighted...
- CDK6 blocks differentiation: coupling cell proliferation to the block to differentiation in leukemic cellsIgor Matushansky
Department of Cell Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Oncogene 22:4143-9. 2003..Our findings suggest that studying the relative roles of CDK6 and CDK4 in other types of malignant cells will be important in designing approaches for cell cycle inhibition and differentiation therapy in cancer...
- PU.1 and pRB interact and cooperate to repress GATA-1 and block erythroid differentiationNatasha Rekhtman
Department of Cell Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Mol Cell Biol 23:7460-74. 2003..1 antagonizes GATA-1 is by binding to it at GATA-1 target genes and tethering to these sites a corepressor that blocks transcriptional activity and thereby erythroid differentiation...
- Reversal of tumorigenicity and the block to differentiation in erythroleukemia cells by GATA-1Kevin S Choe
Department of Cell Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Cancer Res 63:6363-9. 2003..We also show that the gene for the cell cycle inhibitor p21 is transcriptionally regulated by GATA-1 and is a likely downstream effector of GATA-1 that helps to promote differentiation and proliferation arrest...
- Beta-catenin as a tumor suppressor in sarcomagenesis.Igor Matushansky; Fiscal Year: 2006....