D B Kandel
Affiliation: Columbia University
- Age-related differences in cigarette smoking among whites and African-Americans: evidence for the crossover hypothesisDenise Kandel
Columbia University, Department of Psychiatry, 1051 Riverside Drive Unit 20, New York, NY 10032, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 118:280-7. 2011..We conducted analyses using national samples to identify factors that account for crossover and estimate their impact on crossover age...
- Sequencing of DSM-IV criteria of nicotine dependenceDenise B Kandel
Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Addiction 104:1393-402. 2009..To determine whether there is a sequence in which adolescents experience symptoms of nicotine dependence (ND) as per the DSM-IV...
- Educational attainment and smoking among women: risk factors and consequences for offspringDenise B Kandel
Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 104:S24-33. 2009..These efforts need to focus as much on social conditions that affect women's lives as on individual level interventions. These interventions would have beneficial effects not only for the women themselves but also for their offspring...
- On the development of nicotine dependence in adolescenceDenise B Kandel
Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, 722 W 168th St, New York, NY 10032, United States
Drug Alcohol Depend 91:26-39. 2007..The predictive significance of the initial smoking experience and parental dependence highlight the potential importance of genetic factors in the etiology of nicotine dependence...
- Urine nicotine metabolites and smoking behavior in a multiracial/multiethnic national sample of young adultsDenise B Kandel
Department of Sociomedical Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Am J Epidemiol 165:901-10. 2007..The availability of a noninvasive measure makes possible systematic testing of causal hypotheses generated by laboratory studies in the general population...
- Salivary cotinine concentration versus self-reported cigarette smoking: Three patterns of inconsistency in adolescenceDenise B Kandel
Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, New York, NY 10032, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 8:525-37. 2006..Depressed adolescent smokers may take in smaller doses of nicotine than nondepressed smokers; alternatively, depressed adolescents may metabolize nicotine more rapidly...
- Testing the Gateway HypothesisDenise B Kandel
Columbia University, Division of Epidemiology of Substance Abuse, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York City, NY 10032, USA
Addiction 101:470-2; discussion 474-6. 2006
- On the measurement of nicotine dependence in adolescence: comparisons of the mFTQ and a DSM-IV-based scaleDenise Kandel
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, 1051 Riverside Drive, Unit 20, New York, New York 11104, USA
J Pediatr Psychol 30:319-32. 2005....
- Racial/ethnic differences in cigarette smoking initiation and progression to daily smoking: a multilevel analysisDenise B Kandel
Department of Sociomedical Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health, and the Department of Psychiatry, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, and the New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Public Health 94:128-35. 2004..We sought to identify individual and contextual predictors of adolescent smoking initiation and progression to daily smoking by race/ethnicity...
- Prenatal effects of maternal smoking on daughters' smoking: nicotine or testosterone exposure?D B Kandel
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Public Health 89:1377-83. 1999..The purpose of this study was to specify the effect of prenatal fetal exposure to maternal cotinine and testosterone on daughters' smoking in adolescence and adulthood...
- Drug policies: improving the quality of the relevant debateD Kandel
Department of Psychiatry, University of Columbia, 722 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Addiction 97:655-7. 2002
- Ethnic differences in predictors of initiation and persistence of adolescent cigarette smoking in the National Longitudinal Survey of YouthPamela C Griesler
Department of Psychiatry, The New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University, 1051 Riverside Drive, Box 20, New York, NY 10032, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 4:79-93. 2002..To identify and compare predictors of adolescent smoking initiation and persistence among African American, Hispanic and White adolescents in a longitudinal national sample...
- Comorbidity between patterns of substance use dependence and psychiatric syndromesD B Kandel
Columbia University School of Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Department of Psychiatry 1051 Riverside Dr, Unit 20, New York 10032, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 64:233-41. 2001..Comorbidity of dependence on single and multiple drugs with psychiatric syndromes was examined in national samples from the National Household Survey on Drug Abuse (NHSDA)...
- Extent of smoking and nicotine dependence in the United States: 1991-1993D B Kandel
Department of Psychiatry and School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 2:263-74. 2000..Group-specific thresholds may be more appropriate criteria than an absolute threshold to define the risk for nicotine dependence...
- Predictors of cessation of marijuana use: an event history analysisK Chen
Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 50:109-21. 1998..There is also a very important experimental effect of the interview itself on the reported timing of a cessation. The effect of a social context favorable to marijuana use appears to reflect selection rather than social influence...
- Maternal smoking during pregnancy and psychopathology in offspring followed to adulthoodM M Weissman
New York State Psychiatric Institute, NY 10032, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 38:892-9. 1999..To extend findings from several independent reports of an association between maternal smoking during pregnancy and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, conduct disorder, and substance abuse in the offspring...
- Epidemiology and correlates of daily smoking and nicotine dependence among young adults in the United StatesMei Chen Hu
Dept of Sociomedical Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, 1051 Riverside Drive, Unit 20, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Public Health 96:299-308. 2006....
- Developmental trajectories of criteria of nicotine dependence in adolescenceMei Chen Hu
Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, 722 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, United States
Drug Alcohol Depend 98:94-104. 2008..The factors important for onset of dependence are not necessarily the same as those for sustained course...
- The NIMH Methods for the Epidemiology of Child and Adolescent Mental Disorders (MECA) Study: background and methodologyB B Lahey
Department of Psychiatry, University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 35:855-64. 1996..A collaborative study was conducted to develop methods for surveys of mental disorder and service utilization in unscreened population-based samples of children and adolescents...
- Comorbidity of psychiatric disorders and nicotine dependence among adolescents: findings from a prospective, longitudinal studyPamela C Griesler
New York State Psychiatric Institute, NY, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 47:1340-50. 2008..To examine prospectively the comorbidity of DSM-IV psychiatric disorders and nicotine dependence in adolescence...
- Does marijuana use cause the use of other drugs?Denise B Kandel
JAMA 289:482-3. 2003
- NICOTINE DEPENDENCE AMONG US YOUTHSDenise Kandel; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed study will generate a unique understanding of the epidemiology, natural history, correlates and etiology of smoking and nicotine dependence among young people ..
- Substance Dependence/Abuse in the U.S.PopulationDenise Kandel; Fiscal Year: 2004..Such questions by and large have not been treated in the epidemiological literature on drug use in the general population, which has focused almost exclusively on frequency measures of drug use. ..
- The Transition to Nicotine Dependence in AdolescenceDenise Kandel; Fiscal Year: 2005..The study will generate a unique understanding of the natural history, etiology and consequences of nicotine dependence among young people. ..
- Nicotine Dependence in Early AdulthoodDenise B Kandel; Fiscal Year: 2010..The findings will indicate when, with whom, and how to intervene in order to prevent and reduce progression to nicotine dependence. ..