A H Glassman
Affiliation: Columbia University
- Does treating post-myocardial infarction depression reduce medical mortality?Alexander H Glassman
New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University, NY 10032, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:711-2. 2005
- Schizophrenia, antipsychotic drugs, and cardiovascular diseaseAlexander H Glassman
Department of Clinical Psychiatry, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 66:5-10. 2005..Thus, it is prudent for the psychiatric community to be aware of psychiatric patients' baseline medical condition and their risk status for cardiovascular disease...
- Onset of major depression associated with acute coronary syndromes: relationship of onset, major depressive disorder history, and episode severity to sertraline benefitAlexander H Glassman
Department of Psychiatry, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 63:283-8. 2006..No evidence of harm was seen, and sertraline hydrochloride had an overall beneficial effect on mood that occurred primarily in patients with a history of episodes of major depressive disorder (MDD)...
- Depression and cardiovascular comorbidityAlexander H Glassman
Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Dialogues Clin Neurosci 9:9-17. 2007..There is strong evidence linking platelet activation, autonomic activity and inflammatory markers to both depression and heart disease, but why these links exist is far less clear...
- Sertraline treatment of major depression in patients with acute MI or unstable anginaAlexander H Glassman
Department of Clinical Psychopharmacology, New York State Psychiatric Institute, 1051 Riverside Dr, Unit 116, New York, NY 10032, USA
JAMA 288:701-9. 2002..However, no published evidence exists that antidepressant drugs are safe or efficacious in patients with unstable ischemic heart disease...
- Heart rate variability in acute coronary syndrome patients with major depression: influence of sertraline and mood improvementAlexander H Glassman
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 64:1025-31. 2007..Although selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors may reduce mortality post-ACS, little is known about their effects on HRV...
- Depression and nicotine: preclinical and clinical evidence for common mechanismsR P Laje
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, 1051 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10032, USA
Curr Psychiatry Rep 3:470-4. 2001....
- Depression and cardiovascular diseaseA Glassman
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and 14 Surgeons, New York, USA
Pharmacopsychiatry 41:221-5. 2008..However, that evidence is not definitive and the reason behind the association between depression and cardiovascular morbidity and mortality remains uncertain...
- Smoking cessation and the course of major depression: a follow-up studyA H Glassman
Department of Clinical Psychopharmacology, New York State Psychiatric Institute, 1051 Riverside Drive, 10032, New York, NY, USA
Lancet 357:1929-32. 2001..However, these studies confound effects of abstinence and history of depression. We aimed to assess whether there is an increased risk of depression and for how long that increase lasts...
- Psychiatric characteristics associated with long-term mortality among 361 patients having an acute coronary syndrome and major depression: seven-year follow-up of SADHART participantsAlexander H Glassman
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New Yourk, NY, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 66:1022-9. 2009..We observed the participants of the Sertraline Antidepressant Heart Attack Randomized Trial (SADHART) to establish features of MDD associated with long-term mortality...
- Review of the cardiovascular effects of heterocyclic antidepressantsA H Glassman
Department of Clinical Psychopharmacology, New York State Psychiatric Institute, NY 10032
J Clin Psychiatry 54:16-22. 1993..They share this property with Type 1A antiarrhythmic compounds, and a variety of Type 1 antiarrhythmics have recently been shown to increase mortality in postmyocardial infarction patients.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Smokers' response to combination bupropion, nicotine patch, and counseling treatment by race/ethnicityLirio S Covey
New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York City, New York, USA
Ethn Dis 18:59-64. 2008..Evidence on how to tailor nicotine dependence treatment to specific race/ethnic groups is limited. The present study investigated responses to established smoking cessation treatments among African American, Hispanic, and White adults...
- A randomized trial of bupropion and/or nicotine gum as maintenance treatment for preventing smoking relapseLirio S Covey
Smoking Cessation Program, New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Addiction 102:1292-302. 2007..To investigate the efficacy of maintenance treatment with bupropion and/or nicotine gum for reducing smoking relapse...
- Assessment and treatment of depression in patients with cardiovascular disease: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Working Group ReportKarina W Davidson
Department of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 622 W 168th St, PH9 Center, Room 941, New York, NY 10032, USA
Psychosom Med 68:645-50. 2006..The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute convened an interdisciplinary working group of experts to develop recommendations for the assessment and treatment of depression in patients with coronary heart disease (CHD)...
- Assessment and treatment of depression in patients with cardiovascular disease: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute working group reportKarina W Davidson
Department of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA, and Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal Research Center, Quebec, Canada
Ann Behav Med 32:121-6. 2006
- The American Heart Association science advisory on depression and coronary heart disease: an exploration of the issues raisedJ Thomas Bigger
Department of Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 77:S12-9. 2010..Referral to a practice with the knowledge and resources to manage depression promotes successful management of depressed patients with CHD...
- A randomized trial of sertraline as a cessation aid for smokers with a history of major depressionLirio S Covey
New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University, 1051 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Psychiatry 159:1731-7. 2002..Specifically, sertraline's efficacy for smoking abstinence and its effects on withdrawal symptoms were evaluated...
- Advances in non-nicotine pharmacotherapy for smoking cessationL S Covey
New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York 10032, USA
Drugs 59:17-31. 2000..Thus, available evidence indicates that non-nicotine drug treatments offer a promising panoply of therapeutic strategies for the addicted smoker...
- Antipsychotic drugs: prolonged QTc interval, torsade de pointes, and sudden deathA H Glassman
Department of Clinical Psychopharmacology, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York 10032, USA
Am J Psychiatry 158:1774-82. 2001..The authors review the mechanisms and establish the risk of torsade de pointes and sudden death with antipsychotic drugs...
- Clinical management of cardiovascular risks during treatment with psychotropic drugsAlexander H Glassman
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 63:12-7. 2002..Screening for cardiac vulnerability at baseline, as well as at regular intervals during treatment if the patient has certain risk factors, is important when treating patients with psychotropic agents...
- Priority actions to improve the care of persons with co-occurring substance abuse and other mental disorders: a call to actionCHARLES P O'BRIEN
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 3900 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6178, USA
Biol Psychiatry 56:703-13. 2004
- Pharmacoeconomic analysis of sertraline treatment of depression in patients with unstable angina or a recent myocardial infarctionCHRISTOPHER M O'CONNOR
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 66:346-52. 2005....
- Assessing cardiovascular risks versus clinical benefits of atypical antipsychotic drug treatmentHerbert Y Meltzer
Department of Psychiatry and Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tenn 37212, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 63:25-9. 2002..This article discusses both risks and benefits of antipsychotic treatment and presents a treatment algorithm to aid the clinician in choosing medications for the psychotic patient...
- Platelet/endothelial biomarkers in depressed patients treated with the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor sertraline after acute coronary events: the Sertraline AntiDepressant Heart Attack Randomized Trial (SADHART) Platelet SubstudyVictor L Serebruany
Sinai Center for Thrombosis Research, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21215, USA
Circulation 108:939-44. 2003..Accordingly, we serially assessed the release of established platelet/endothelial biomarkers in patients treated with sertraline vs placebo in the Sertraline AntiDepressant Heart Attack Randomized Trial (SADHART)...
- Enhanced platelet/endothelial activation in depressed patients with acute coronary syndromes: evidence from recent clinical trialsVictor L Serebruany
Sinai Center for Thrombosis Research, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21215, USA
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 14:563-7. 2003..These findings may contribute to the unfavorable outcome associated with clinical depression in patients with ACS...
- Influence of depression and effect of treatment with sertraline on quality of life after hospitalization for acute coronary syndromeJ Robert Swenson
University of Ottawa Heart Institute and Department of Psychiatry, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Cardiol 92:1271-6. 2003..Sertraline was associated with clinically meaningful improvement in multiple quality-of-life domains in patients with acute coronary syndrome and recurrent depression...
- Relationship between release of platelet/endothelial biomarkers and plasma levels of sertraline and N-desmethylsertraline in acute coronary syndrome patients receiving SSRI treatment for depressionVictor L Serebruany
HeartDrug Research Laboratories, Johns Hopkins University, 7600 Osler Dr, Suite 307, Towson, MD 21204, USA
Am J Psychiatry 162:1165-70. 2005....
- Antidepressants in coronary heart disease: SSRIs reduce depression, but do they save lives?Alexander H Glassman
JAMA 297:411-2. 2007
- Where there is depression, there is inflammation... sometimes!Alexander H Glassman
Biol Psychiatry 62:280-1. 2007
- Depression as a risk factor for post-MI mortalityRobert M Carney
J Am Coll Cardiol 44:472; author reply 473-4. 2004
- Mood disorders in the medically ill: scientific review and recommendationsDwight L Evans
School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 423 Guardian Drive, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Biol Psychiatry 58:175-89. 2005....