Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Columbia University
- Young and excitable: the function of new neurons in the adult mammalian brainFiona Doetsch
Departments of Pathology, Neurology and Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Columbia University, 630W 168th Street, NY, NY 10032, USA
Curr Opin Neurobiol 15:121-8. 2005..Current evidence suggests that adult-born immature neurons have distinct electrophysiological properties from old neurons, and proposed roles in a variety of functions including olfaction, learning and mood regulation...
- A niche for adult neural stem cellsFiona Doetsch
Harvard University, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, 16 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Curr Opin Genet Dev 13:543-50. 2003..Understanding the in vivo stem cell niche will provide a framework for the elucidation of stem cell function in the adult brain...
- The glial identity of neural stem cellsFiona Doetsch
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, 16 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Nat Neurosci 6:1127-34. 2003..Differentiation along the glial lineage may be a default state of development reflected in the progression of stem cells along the neuroepithelial-->radial glia-->astrocyte lineage...
- EGF converts transit-amplifying neurogenic precursors in the adult brain into multipotent stem cellsFiona Doetsch
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, 16 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Neuron 36:1021-34. 2002..Furthermore, purified C cells are 53-fold enriched for neurosphere generation. We conclude that transit-amplifying cells retain stem cell competence under the influence of growth factors...
- miR-124 regulates adult neurogenesis in the subventricular zone stem cell nicheLi Chun Cheng
Department of Pathology, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York, USA
Nat Neurosci 12:399-408. 2009..Sox9 overexpression abolished neuronal differentiation, whereas Sox9 knockdown led to increased neuron formation. Thus miR-124-mediated repression of Sox9 is important for progression along the SVZ stem cell lineage to neurons...
- Simultaneous prospective purification of adult subventricular zone neural stem cells and their progenyErika Pastrana
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:6387-92. 2009..Importantly, these cells constitute the neurosphere-forming population among SVZ astrocytes. This approach will be of great utility for future functional and molecular studies of the SVZ stem cell lineage...
- Prospective identification and purification of quiescent adult neural stem cells from their in vivo nichePaolo Codega
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA Columbia Stem Cell Initiative, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Neuron 82:545-59. 2014..Finally, small-molecule screening identified the GPCR ligands, S1P and PGD2, as factors that actively maintain the quiescent state of qNSCs...
- A specialized vascular niche for adult neural stem cellsMasoud Tavazoie
Department of Neuroscience, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York City, NY 10032 USA
Cell Stem Cell 3:279-88. 2008....
- Genetics of childhood disorders: XXXVIII. Stem cell research, part 2: reconstructing the brainFiona Doetsch
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 41:622-4. 2002
- Eyes wide open: a critical review of sphere-formation as an assay for stem cellsErika Pastrana
Departments of Pathology and Cell Biology, Neurology, and Neuroscience, Columbia Stem Cell Initiative, Center for Motor Neuron Biology and Disease, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Cell Stem Cell 8:486-98. 2011..We discuss theoretical and technical considerations of experimental design and interpretation that surround the use of this assay with any tissue...
- Lack of the cell-cycle inhibitor p27Kip1 results in selective increase of transit-amplifying cells for adult neurogenesisFiona Doetsch
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
J Neurosci 22:2255-64. 2002..We conclude that cell-cycle regulation of SVZ adult progenitors is remarkably cell-type specific, with p27Kip1 being a key regulator of the cell division of the transit-amplifying progenitors...
- Adult neural stem cells and their niche: a dynamic duo during homeostasis, regeneration, and agingVioleta Silva-Vargas
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, 630 West 168th Street, NYC, NY 10032, United States Columbia Stem Cell Initiative, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, 630 West 168th Street, NYC, NY 10032, United States
Curr Opin Neurobiol 23:935-42. 2013..Moreover niche signaling is bidirectional, with stem cells and their progeny and niche cells dynamically interacting with each other during homeostasis, regeneration and aging. ..
- Brain micro-ecologies: neural stem cell niches in the adult mammalian brainPatricio A Riquelme
Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Columbia University, 630 West 168th Street, New York City, NY 10032, USA
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 363:123-37. 2008..Here, we review the components of adult neural stem cell niches and how they act to regulate neurogenesis in these regions...
- Stem cells: from epigenetics to microRNAsLi Chun Cheng
Department of Pathology, Columbia University, 630 West 168th Street, New York, New York 10032, USA
Neuron 46:363-7. 2005....
- The transcriptional network for mesenchymal transformation of brain tumoursMaria Stella Carro
Institute for Cancer Genetics, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 463:318-25. 2010..These results show that the activation of a small regulatory module is necessary and sufficient to initiate and maintain an aberrant phenotypic state in cancer cells...
- A new twist for neurotrophins: endothelial-derived NT-3 mediates adult neural stem cell quiescenceVioleta Silva-Vargas
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, Neuroscience, Neurology, and Rehabilitation and Regenerative Medicine, Columbia Stem Cell Initiative, Columbia University, 630 West 168 th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Neuron 83:507-9. 2014..In this issue of Neuron, uncover that endothelial-derived NT-3 acts as a mediator of quiescence in the V-SVZ adult neural stem cell niche...
- Identification of neural stem cells in the adult vertebrate brainArturo Alvarez-Buylla
Department of Neurosurgery Research, Brain Tumor Research Center, University of California, San Francisco, CA, 94143 USA
Brain Res Bull 57:751-8. 2002..The very same cells that give birth to new neurons also seem to nurture their maturation and support their function...
- Multipotent neural stem cells reside into the rostral extension and olfactory bulb of adult rodentsAngela Gritti
Institute for Stem Cell Research, Department of Biotechnology, San Raffaele Hospital, 20132 Milan, Italy
J Neurosci 22:437-45. 2002..These findings demonstrate that stem cells are not confined to the forebrain periventricular region and indicate that stem cells endowed with different functional characteristics occur at different levels of the SVZ-RE pathway...
- Biology of Stem Cells in the Adult Mammalian BrainFiona Doetsch; Fiscal Year: 2010..3) We will clone and characterize specific libraries of miRNAs for each cell stage in the lineage of adult neurogenesis. These studies will yield key insights into the function of miRNAs in stem cells for adult neurogenesis. ..