L S Covey
Affiliation: Columbia University
- An exploration of site effects in a multisite trial of OROS-methylphenidate for smokers with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorderLirio S Covey
New York State Psychiatric Institute, Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 37:392-9. 2011....
- Divergence by ADHD subtype in smoking cessation response to OROS-methylphenidateLirio S Covey
New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University Medical Center, Psychiatry, Clinical Therapeutics, New York, NY, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 13:1003-8. 2011..Divergence in treatment response is a potential indicator of qualitative heterogeneity. This study examined smoking cessation response by ADHD subtype to osmotic-release oral system methylphenidate (OROS-MPH)...
- OROS-methylphenidate or placebo for adult smokers with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: racial/ethnic differencesLirio S Covey
New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University Medical Center, 1051 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10032, United States
Drug Alcohol Depend 110:156-9. 2010..To explore racial/ethnic difference in OROS-methylphenidate (OMPH) efficacy when added to nicotine patch and counseling for treating nicotine dependence among smokers with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)...
- A comparison of abstinence outcomes among gay/bisexual and heterosexual male smokers in an intensive, non-tailored smoking cessation studyLirio S Covey
New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University Medical Center, 1051 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10032, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 11:1374-7. 2009..This study examined abstinence outcome in response to a high intensity smoking cessation program not specifically tailored to LGB smokers...
- Smoking cessation and inattention or hyperactivity/impulsivity: a post hoc analysisLirio S Covey
New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 10:1717-25. 2008..Combined bupropion and nicotine patch treatment appears to be helpful for smokers with inattention but not smokers with hyperactivity/inattention symptoms. The reasons for this divergent treatment response warrant further investigation...
- Smokers' response to combination bupropion, nicotine patch, and counseling treatment by race/ethnicityLirio S Covey
New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York City, New York, USA
Ethn Dis 18:59-64. 2008..Evidence on how to tailor nicotine dependence treatment to specific race/ethnic groups is limited. The present study investigated responses to established smoking cessation treatments among African American, Hispanic, and White adults...
- A randomized trial of bupropion and/or nicotine gum as maintenance treatment for preventing smoking relapseLirio S Covey
Smoking Cessation Program, New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Addiction 102:1292-302. 2007..To investigate the efficacy of maintenance treatment with bupropion and/or nicotine gum for reducing smoking relapse...
- Tobacco cessation among patients with depressionL S Covey
Department of Clinical Psychology in Psychiatry, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Prim Care 26:691-706. 1999..Based on the author's experience with this population of smokers, recommendations for assessing smokers' vulnerability to depression, their level of nicotine dependence, and psychological and pharmacological aids for smokers are offered...
- Advances in non-nicotine pharmacotherapy for smoking cessationL S Covey
New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York 10032, USA
Drugs 59:17-31. 2000..Thus, available evidence indicates that non-nicotine drug treatments offer a promising panoply of therapeutic strategies for the addicted smoker...
- A randomized trial of sertraline as a cessation aid for smokers with a history of major depressionLirio S Covey
New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University, 1051 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Psychiatry 159:1731-7. 2002..Specifically, sertraline's efficacy for smoking abstinence and its effects on withdrawal symptoms were evaluated...
- Current perspectives on smoking cessation among substance abusersMaria A Sullivan
Department of Psychiatry, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York State Psychiatric Institute at Columbia University, NY 10032, USA
Curr Psychiatry Rep 4:388-96. 2002..Smoking cessation is indicated for substance dependent persons already in recovery and may protect against relapse to the illicit drug of abuse...
- Nicotine dependence: the role for antidepressants and anxiolyticsMaria A Sullivan
New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York 10032, USA
Curr Opin Investig Drugs 3:262-71. 2002..The norepinephrinergic effects of nicotine may account for increased attentiveness and improved performance in repetitive tasks, while its anxiolytic effects are likely mediated through GABA and the endorphins...
- Smoking cessation and the course of major depression: a follow-up studyA H Glassman
Department of Clinical Psychopharmacology, New York State Psychiatric Institute, 1051 Riverside Drive, 10032, New York, NY, USA
Lancet 357:1929-32. 2001..However, these studies confound effects of abstinence and history of depression. We aimed to assess whether there is an increased risk of depression and for how long that increase lasts...
- Response: getting tough with smokingLirio S Covey
Sci Pract Perspect 2:40-2. 2003
- History of depression and smoking cessation: a rejoinderLirio S Covey
Nicotine Tob Res 8:315-9. 2006
- Lack of effect of D2 dopamine receptor TaqI A polymorphism on smoking cessationIvan Berlin
Departement de Pharmacologie, Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire Pitié Salpêtrière, Paris, France
Nicotine Tob Res 7:725-8. 2005..The present study reports on results of a similar smoking cessation study and uses the same methods and data analysis in a larger number of smokers. It fails to replicate the effect of DRD2 TaqI A polymorphism on smoking cessation...
- Pre-cessation depressive mood predicts failure to quit smoking: the role of coping and personality traitsIvan Berlin
Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire Pitié Salpêtrière, Université Pierre and Marie Curie Paris 6 and INSERM U 677, Paris, France
Addiction 101:1814-21. 2006..To examine whether mood, personality and coping predict smoking cessation and whether the associations of personality and coping are mediated through depressed mood...
- MAINTENANCE TREATMENT FOR PREVENTION OF SMOKING RELAPSELirio Covey; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..