Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Columbia University
- Exceptional memory performance in the Long Life Family StudySandra Barral
Taub Institute for Research on Alzheimer s Disease and the Aging Brain, Columbia University Medical Center, Department of Neurology, New York, NY 10032, USA
Neurobiol Aging 34:2445-8. 2013..74, standard error = 0.19, p = 1.4 × 10(-4)). We demonstrated that there is a familial correlation of the EM endophenotype, suggesting that genetic variants might influence memory performance in long-lived families...
- No association of ALOX5AP polymorphisms with risk of MRI-defined brain infarctsSandra Barral
The Gertrude H Sergievsky Center, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Neurobiol Aging 33:629.e1-3. 2012..No association was found between SNPs and MRI-defined brain infarcts. Our data do not support the hypothesis that variants in ALOX5AP are associated with risk of MRI-defined brain infarcts...
- Genetic predisposition for femoral neck stress fractures in military conscriptsJohanna Korvala
Oulu Center for Cell Matrix Research, Biocenter and Department of Medical Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
BMC Genet 11:95. 2010..Genetic factors may increase the risk, but no major susceptibility genes have been identified. The purpose of this study was to search for possible genetic factors predisposing military conscripts to femoral neck stress fractures...
- Identification of novel loci for Alzheimer disease and replication of CLU, PICALM, and BIN1 in Caribbean Hispanic individualsJoseph H Lee
Taub Institute for Research on Alzheimer s Disease and the Aging Brain, Gertrude H Sergievsky Center, 630 W 168th St, New York, NY 10032, USA
Arch Neurol 68:320-8. 2011....
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene variants: possible association of the Val158Met variant with opiate addiction in Hispanic womenBronson E Oosterhuis
Laboratory of the Biology of Addictive Diseases, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 147:793-8. 2008..05) after correction for multiple testing. No significant association was found with haplotypes of the three most common SNPs. Linkage disequilibrium patterns were similar for the three ethnic/cultural groups...
- Cognitive function in families with exceptional survivalSandra Barral
The Gertrude H Sergievsky Center, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Neurobiol Aging 33:619.e1-7. 2012....
- Candidate sequence variants and fetal hemoglobin in children with sickle cell disease treated with hydroxyureaNancy S Green
Department of Pediatrics, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e55709. 2013..The sole approved pharmacologic therapy for this disease is hydroxyurea, with effects largely attributable to induction of fetal hemoglobin...
- Apolipoprotein E and familial longevityNicole Schupf
Taub Institute for Research on Alzheimer s Disease and the Aging Brain, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Neurobiol Aging 34:1287-91. 2013..Our findings support the hypothesis that both reduction in the frequency of the ε4 allele and increase in the frequency of the ε2 allele contribute to longevity...
- Precision and type I error rate in the presence of genotype errors and missing parental data: a comparison between the original transmission disequilibrium test (TDT) and TDTae statisticsSandra Barral
Laboratory of Statistical Genetics, Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
BMC Genet 6:S150. 2005..By precision score, we mean the absolute difference between disease gene position and the position of markers whose TDT statistic exceeds some threshold...
- Age-at-onset linkage analysis in Caribbean Hispanics with familial late-onset Alzheimer's diseaseJoseph H Lee
The Taub Institute on Alzheimer s Disease and the Aging Brain, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Neurogenetics 9:51-60. 2008..The novel loci at 5q15, 17q25.1, 13q33, and 17p13 and the previously reported loci at 7q36.3, 12q13, 14q23, and 14q32 need further investigation...
- ABCB1 (MDR1) genetic variants are associated with methadone doses required for effective treatment of heroin dependenceOrna Levran
Laboratory of the Biology of Addictive Diseases, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Hum Mol Genet 17:2219-27. 2008..026). These data suggest that specific ABCB1 variants may have clinical relevance by influencing the methadone dose required to prevent withdrawal symptoms and relapse in this population...
- The neuronal sortilin-related receptor gene SORL1 and late-onset Alzheimer's diseaseJoseph H Lee
Sergievsky Center, 630 W 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 8:384-91. 2008..However, putative variants have not yet been identified. Further research is necessary to determine its utility as a diagnostic marker of AD or as a target for new therapeutic approaches...
- Fetal hemoglobin levels in African American and Hispanic children with sickle cell disease at baseline and in response to hydroxyureaKatherine L Ender
Pediatric Hematology, Columbia University Medical Center, NY 10032, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 33:496-9. 2011..If generalizable, our results support combining these 2 groups in future clinical and translational analyses focused on HbF and response to HU in this ethnically mixed patient population...
- Emerging science of hydroxyurea therapy for pediatric sickle cell diseaseNancy S Green
Division of Pediatric Hematology Oncology Stem Cell Transplantation, Department of Pediatrics, Columbia University, New York, New York
Pediatr Res 75:196-204. 2014..Understanding the genetic and other factors underlying the variability in therapeutic effects of HU for pediatric SCD is critical for prospectively predicting good responders and for designing other effective therapies. ..
- CpG island methylator phenotype associates with low-degree chromosomal abnormalities in colorectal cancerYu Wei Cheng
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Clin Cancer Res 14:6005-13. 2008..Nevertheless, the relative importance of CIMP and chromosomal instability (CIN) for tumorigenesis has yet to be thoroughly investigated in sporadic colorectal cancers...
- TPH2 and TPH1: association of variants and interactions with heroin addictionDavid A Nielsen
Laboratory of Biology of the Addictive Diseases, The Rockefeller University, Box 171, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065, USA
Behav Genet 38:133-50. 2008..022), and with the TPH2 rs4290270 variant and heroin addiction (P=0.011). In the African-American group, a significant association of a specific TPH2 haplotype with heroin addiction also was found (SNPHAP, P=0.004; PHASE P=0.036)...