Affiliation: Columbia University
- Ebola policies that hinder epidemic response by limiting scientific discourseRamin Asgary
Departments of Population Health and Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York Armed Forces Surveillance Center, Silver Spring, Maryland Department of Medicine, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, New York Global Health Division, International Development Group, Research Triangle Institute, Washington, DC Military HIV Research Program, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Bethesda, Maryland
Am J Trop Med Hyg 92:240-1. 2015....
- Breast cancer screening among homeless women of New York City shelter-based clinicsRamin Asgary
Department of Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York Electronic address
Womens Health Issues 24:529-34. 2014..Millions of Americans experience homelessness annually. Data on breast cancer screening among homeless women is extremely limited...
- Teaching immigrant and refugee health to residents: domestic global healthRamin Asgary
Department of Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
Teach Learn Med 25:258-65. 2013..Half a million immigrants enter the United States annually. Clinical providers generally lack training in immigrant health...
- Socio-medical challenges of asylum seekers prior and after coming to the USRamin Asgary
Program in Health and Human Rights, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 15:961-8. 2013..Refugee asylum seekers face complex social and medical challenges. We evaluated 30 consecutive asylees in New York for socio-demographic and health backgrounds, characteristics of torture, presentations and medico legal path...
- Ethical and professional considerations providing medical evaluation and care to refugee asylum seekersRamin Asgary
Department of Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Am J Bioeth 13:3-12. 2013..We review existing resources to address these concerns and offer suggestions...
- Global health training starts at home: a unique US-based global health clinical elective for residentsRamin Asgary
Department of Medical Education, Global Health Center, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1255, New York, NY 10029, USA
Med Teach 34:e445-51. 2012..Many physicians planning to work in global health lack adequate formal training. Globalized cities create opportunities to integrate global health training into residency programs, preparing clinicians for less supported experiences abroad...
- Lack of patient risk counselling and a broader provider training affect malaria control in remote Somalia Kenya border: Qualitative assessmentRamin Asgary
Department of Medicine and Preventive Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Glob Public Health 7:240-52. 2012..Wider-ranging ongoing training could enable providers to properly diagnose and manage differential diagnoses to manage malaria better...
- Domestic global health: a curriculum teaching medical students to evaluate refugee asylum seekers and torture survivorsRamin Asgary
a Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, New York, USA
Teach Learn Med 25:348-57. 2013..Seven to 12% of foreign-born patients in the United States has experienced torture. We aimed to teach medical students to identify and care for asylum seekers/torture survivors...
- On-site comprehensive curriculum to teach reproductive health to female adolescents in KenyaMargaret Gaughran
1 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, New York, New York
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 23:358-64. 2014..Rates of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and unplanned pregnancy are high in Kenya, and limited reproductive health education exists in schools...
- Women's health disparities in Honduras: indicators and determinantsJoan Price
Global Health Center, WHO Collaborating Centre in Children s Environmental Health, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 20:1931-7. 2011..Health data about indigenous women in the remote highland communities of Honduras are lacking. Our objective was to assess women's health indicators and to suggest potential interventions...
- Colorectal cancer screening among the homeless population of New York City shelter-based clinicsRamin Asgary
Ramin Asgary is with the Department of Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY Victoria Garland and Blanca Sckell are with the Department of Community Medicine, Lutheran Family Health Centers, New York, NY Andrea Jakubowski is with the Department of Medical Education, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
Am J Public Health 104:1307-13. 2014..We determined colorectal cancer (CRC) screening rates, predictors, and barriers in 2 major New York City shelter-based clinics...
- Communicable and non-communicable diseases among recent immigrants with implications for primary care; a comprehensive immigrant health approachRamin Asgary
Department of Preventive Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 13:990-5. 2011..Providers should balance their focus on communicable and non-communicable diseases. We recommend practice-based training and on-site comprehensive health services...
- Barriers to health care access among refugee asylum seekersRamin Asgary
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 22:506-22. 2011..Asylum seekers have poor access to health care. Qualitative data portraying their experience is lacking...
- The response of academic medical centers to the 2010 Haiti earthquake: the Mount Sinai School of Medicine experienceJonathan A Ripp
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 86:32-5. 2012..Through this process, AMCs can play an important role in disaster response...
- Community perception, misconception, and discord regarding prevention and treatment of infection with human immunodeficiency virus in Addis Ababa, EthiopiaRamin Asgary
Department of Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York Department of Medicine, Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Connecticut Hunter College, City University of New York, New York, New York The Worldwide Orphan Foundation, Maplewood, New Jersey
Am J Trop Med Hyg 90:153-9. 2014..Ongoing community education via local initiatives, nation-wide structural and environmental strategies, and efforts tailored toward Ethiopian society to reconcile treatment with faith are crucial...