M S Hickey
Affiliation: Colorado State University
- Does prior acute exercise affect postexercise substrate oxidation in response to a high carbohydrate meal?Wiley Long
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, and Department of Health and Exercise Science, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Nutr Metab (Lond) 5:2. 2008..The purpose of this study was to determine whether prior exercise attenuates the usual meal-induced decline in lipid oxidation...
- Insulin activation of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase in human skeletal muscle in vivoM S Hickey
Human Performance Laboratory and Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina 27858 4353, USA
J Appl Physiol 83:718-22. 1997....
- Plasma leptin and exercise: recent findingsM S Hickey
Department of Health and Exercise Science, Colorado State University, Fort Collins 80523, USA
Sports Med 31:583-9. 2001..Special emphasis will be placed on those studies in which energy intake/balance was carefully controlled...
- Effect of short-term exercise training on insulin-stimulated PI 3-kinase activity in human skeletal muscleJ A Houmard
Human Performance Laboratory and Department of Exercise and Sport Science, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina 27858, USA
Am J Physiol 277:E1055-60. 1999..3 +/- 0.1-fold). There was no change in fasting PI 3-kinase activity. These data suggest that an enhancement of insulin signal transduction in skeletal muscle may contribute to the improvement in insulin action with exercise...
- Impact of hyperinsulinemia on myosin heavy chain gene regulationJ A Houmard
Human Performance Laboratory, Department of Exercise and Sport Science and School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina 27858, USA
J Appl Physiol 86:1828-32. 1999..In contrast, type IIX MHC mRNA increased (P < 0.05) with hyperinsulinemia compared with the fasted condition. These data indicate that hyperinsulinemia rapidly increases type IIx MHC mRNA in human skeletal muscle...
- Fiber type and citrate synthase activity in the human gastrocnemius and vastus lateralis with agingJ A Houmard
Human Performance Laboratory, Department of Exercise and Sport Science, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina 27858, USA
J Appl Physiol 85:1337-41. 1998..No changes in fiber type were evident with age in either muscle. These data suggest a reduction in oxidative enzyme activity in human skeletal muscle with the aging process; this relationship may be muscle-group specific...
- Metabolic and anthropometric factors related to skeletal muscle UCP3 gene expression in healthy human adultsD J Calsbeek
Department of Physiology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 283:E631-7. 2002..The factors that contribute to fiber-specific differences in UCP3 mRNA expression will need to be examined in future studies...