Affiliation: Colorado State University
- Follow-up study of dogs and cats with asymptomatic Cryptococcus gattii infection or nasal colonizationC Duncan
Department of LACS, WCVM, University of Saskatchewan, 52 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, SK, S7N 5B4, Canada
Med Mycol 43:663-6. 2005..Factors influencing the transition from exposure to disease require further investigation...
- Histologic characteristics and KIT staining patterns of equine cutaneous mast cell tumorsL Clarke
Colorado State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, 300 West Drake Ave, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA Email
Vet Pathol 51:560-2. 2014..Associated clinical disease was uncommon and no tumors exhibited malignant behavior. Overall, KIT staining pattern and histologic features were not associated with poor clinical outcome or abnormal tumor behavior...
- Hepatic neosporosis in a dog treated for pemphigus foliaceusLaura L Hoon-Hanks
1Colleen G Duncan, CSU Diagnostic Medical Center, 300 West Drake Avenue, Fort Collins, CO 80524
J Vet Diagn Invest 25:807-10. 2013..caninum occurring with the administration of glucocorticoid therapy. The severe complication in the present case highlights the importance of early detection and mitigation of common infections in immunosuppressed animals. ..
- Multiple strains of Coxiella burnetii are present in the environment of St. Paul Island, AlaskaC Duncan
Veterinary Diagnostic Lab, Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Transbound Emerg Dis 60:345-50. 2013..Further work is needed to elucidate information regarding the ecology of this organism in this region, particularly in association with the coastal environment. ..
- Apoptosis in normal and Coxiella burnetii-infected placentas from Alaskan northern fur seals (Callorhinus ursinus)E Myers
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO, USA
Vet Pathol 50:622-5. 2013..burnetii in host macrophages to reduce apoptosis may also be utilized in trophoblasts. The significance of decreased trophoblastic apoptosis for the northern fur seal fetus requires further investigation...
- Novel polyomaviral infection in the placenta of a northern fur seal (Callorhinus ursinus) on the Pribilof Islands, Alaska, USAColleen Duncan
Colorado State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, 300 West Drake Ave, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
J Wildl Dis 49:163-7. 2013..The significance of this novel virus for the infected animal is unknown, but the virus does not appear to be very prevalent within the placentas from newborn northern fur seal pups...
- Coxiella burnetii in northern fur seal (Callorhinus ursinus) placentas from St. Paul Island, AlaskaColleen Duncan
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80524, USA
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 12:192-5. 2012....
- Leptospirosis and tularaemia in raccoons (Procyon lotor) of Larimer County, [corrected] ColoradoC Duncan
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80526, USA
Zoonoses Public Health 59:29-34. 2012..Further studies are needed to better characterize the prevalence and epidemiology of both organisms within the region...
- Persistent Bovine viral diarrhea virus infection in wild cervids of ColoradoColleen Duncan
Colorado State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, Fort Collins, CO 80523 1619, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 20:650-3. 2008..Consideration of a potential wild animal reservoir is important in the design and implementation of BVDV management practices in cattle...
- Passive, opportunistic wildlife disease surveillance in the Rocky Mountain Region, USAC Duncan
Animal Population Health Institute, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523 1681, USA
Transbound Emerg Dis 55:308-14. 2008....
- Histopathologic and immunohistochemical findings in two white-tailed deer fawns persistently infected with Bovine viral diarrhea virusColleen Duncan
Colorado State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 20:289-96. 2008..In contrast to cattle, lymphocytes exhibited only very rare positive staining...
- Abomasal and uterine adenocarcinomas with ovarian metastasis in a captive elk (Cervus elaphus nelsoni)Colleen Duncan
Colorado State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 19:560-3. 2007....
- Clinical characteristics and predictors of mortality for Cryptococcus gattii infection in dogs and cats of southwestern British ColumbiaColleen Duncan
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Can Vet J 47:993-8. 2006..Case fatality rates in both species were high. Further investigation into effective treatment regimes is warranted...
- Cryptococcus gattii in wildlife of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, CanadaC Duncan
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, WCVM, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
J Wildl Dis 42:175-8. 2006..The relative proportion of nasal colonization in wild mammal species is consistent with findings in domestic animals, suggesting that animals may be good indicators of environmental organisms...
- Surveillance for Cryptococcus gattii in horses of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, CanadaColleen Duncan
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO, USA
Med Mycol 49:734-8. 2011..As this organism continues to disseminate in the Pacific Northwest it is important for veterinarians to be familiar with the disease as early diagnosis may enable more effective treatment...
- Prevalence of selected zoonotic and vector-borne agents in dogs and cats in Costa RicaAndrea V Scorza
Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Colorado State University, 300 West Drake Road, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Vet Parasitol 183:178-83. 2011..3% and 3.5% of the serum samples, respectively. The prevalence of enteric zoonotic parasites in San Isidro de El General in Costa Rica is high in companion animals and this information should be used to mitigate public health risks...
- Cryptococcus albidus infection in a California sea lion (Zalophus californianus)Shannon McLeland
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523 USA
J Wildl Dis 48:1030-4. 2012..albidus was thought to have contributed to mortality in this sea lion, along with concurrent bacterial pneumonia. Cryptococcus albidus should be considered as a potential pathogen with a role in marine mammal morbidity and mortality...
- Leptospirosis in fox squirrels (Sciurus niger) of Larimer County, Colorado, USAKatherine Dirsmith
College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, 1601 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
J Wildl Dis 49:641-5. 2013..Further investigation into the role of wildlife in the ecology of leptospirosis within the region is warranted...
- Sub-clinical infection and asymptomatic carriage of Cryptococcus gattii in dogs and cats during an outbreak of cryptococcosisC Duncan
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, WCVM, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
Med Mycol 43:511-6. 2005..Identification of sub-clinical infection and nasal colonization is an important step in the characterization of the outbreak of clinical cryptococcosis on Vancouver Island...
- Epizootic hemorrhagic disease in yaks (Bos grunniens)Hana Van Campen
Colorado State University, Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratories, CSU VDL, 300 West Drake Road, Fort Collins, CO 80526, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 25:443-6. 2013..The findings indicate that yaks are susceptible to infection with EHDV-2 and exhibit the clinical signs, and gross and histologic lesions of hemorrhagic disease observed in other ruminant species...
- Serologic survey for cross-species pathogens in urban coyotes (Canis latrans), Colorado, USAAshley Malmlov
1 Department of Microbiology, Immunology, Pathology, Colorado State University, 1644 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
J Wildl Dis 50:946-50. 2014..gondii (IgM), or L. interrogans serotypes other than Grippotyphosa. With 88% of animals exposed to at least one pathogen, our results suggest that coyotes may serve as important reservoirs and sentinels for etiologic agents. ..