Gene L Colice
- The misuse of asthma drugsGene L Colice
The George Washington University School of Medicine, Director, Pulmonary, Critical Care and Respiratory Services, Washington Hospital Center, 110 Irving St, NW, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Expert Rev Respir Med 7:307-20. 2013....
- The CHOICE survey: high rates of persistent and uncontrolled asthma in the United StatesGene L Colice
Washington Hospital Center, Washington and The George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 108:157-62. 2012..Surveys have consistently shown that many patients with asthma do not have their disease well controlled...
- Acute cough: a diagnostic and therapeutic challengePeter V Dicpinigaitis
Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY, USA
Cough 5:11. 2009..The current strategies for acute cough management need to be reassessed, with a focus on developing new, reliable products and formulations with proven efficacy and safety...
- The newly developed inhaled corticosteroid ciclesonide for the treatment of asthmaGene L Colice
Pulmonary, Critical Care and Respiratory Services, Washington Hospital Center, 110 Irving Street, NW, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 7:2107-17. 2006..Clinical trials suggest that ciclesonide effectively controls asthma and has a favourable safety profile...
- New developments in inhaled corticosteroidsGene L Colice
Pulmonary, Critical Care and Respiratory Services, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 27:332-40. 2006..An ICS with high plasma protein binding and rapid clearance might pose much less risk for systemic adverse effects than currently available drugs in this class...
- Physiologic evaluation of the patient with lung cancer being considered for resectional surgery: ACCP evidenced-based clinical practice guidelines (2nd edition)Gene L Colice
Director, Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Respiratory Services, Washington Hospital Center, 110 Irving St NW, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Chest 132:161S-77S. 2007..This section of the guidelines is intended to provide an evidence-based approach to the preoperative physiologic assessment of a patient being considered for surgical resection of lung cancer...
- New drugs for asthmaGene L Colice
Department of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Respiratory Services, Washington Hospital Center, 110 Irving Street, NW, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Respir Care 53:688-96; discussion 696-8. 2008..Developing new drugs to treat asthma, particularly with novel anti-inflammatory properties, should be a priority...
- Albuterol HFA for the management of obstructive airway diseaseGene L Colice
Professor of Medicine, The George Washington University School of Medicine and Director, Pulmonary, Critical Care and Respiratory Services Washington Hospital Center 110 Irving Street, NW Washington, DC 20010, USA
Expert Rev Respir Med 2:149-59. 2008..The highly favorable safety profile of albuterol has not been altered with reformulation. The propellant HFA-134a appears to be devoid of safety concerns...
- Emerging therapeutic options for asthmaGene L Colice
Washington Hospital Center, 110 Irving St NW, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Am J Manag Care 17:S82-9. 2011..Although more studies are necessary to ensure the efficacy and safety of both pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic approaches, there is future promise for therapeutic advances in severe, persistent asthma...
- Categorizing asthma severity: an overview of national guidelinesGene L Colice
Pulmonary, Critical Care and Respiratory Services, Washington Hospital Center, District of Columbia 20010, USA
Clin Med Res 2:155-63. 2004....
- A respiratory therapist-directed protocol for managing inpatients with asthma and COPD incorporating a long-acting bronchodilatorGene L Colice
Pulmonary Service, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, District of Columbia, 20010, USA
J Asthma 42:29-34. 2005..The addition of formoterol to a respiratory therapist-directed protocol for administering bronchodilators reduced health care resource use and adverse events for patients with asthma and COPD...
- Treatment costs of community-acquired pneumonia in an employed populationGene L Colice
Pulmonary, Critical Care and Respiratory Services, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC, USA
Chest 125:2140-5. 2004..Work-loss cost estimates indicate that the treatment of CAP also has a large economic impact. The purpose of this study was to assess the medical and prescription drug (treatment) costs of managing CAP in an employed population...
- Costs and resource use of mild persistent asthma patients initiated on controller therapyGene L Colice
The George Washington University School of Medicine and Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC, USA
J Asthma 45:293-9. 2008..The treatment of mild persistent asthma is controversial...
- Incorporating tiotropium into a respiratory therapist-directed bronchodilator protocol for managing in-patients with COPD exacerbations decreases bronchodilator costsGail S Drescher
Pulmonary Services Department, Washington Hospital Center, 110 Irving Street NW, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Respir Care 53:1678-84. 2008..Tiotropium is used in maintenance treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), but there are no guidelines on when to start tiotropium following an exacerbation...
- The endotracheal tube cuff-leak test as a predictor for postextubation stridorEric J Kriner
Section of Respiratory Therapy, Washington Hospital Center, DC 20010, USA
Respir Care 50:1632-8. 2005..The endotracheal tube (ETT) cuff-leak test (CLT) has been proposed as a relatively simple, noninvasive method for detecting the presence of laryngeal edema prior to tracheal extubation...
- Follow-up and surveillance of the lung cancer patient following curative-intent therapyGene L Colice
Critical Care and Respiratory Services, Washington Hospital Center, 110 Irving Street NW, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Chest 123:272S-283S. 2003..Smoking cessation is recommended for all patients following curative-intent therapy for lung cancer...
- Impact of exercise-related respiratory symptoms in adults with asthma: Exercise-Induced Bronchospasm Landmark National SurveyJonathan P Parsons
Department of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care, and Sleep Disorders, Ohio State University Asthma Center, Columbus, 34210, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 32:431-7. 2011..Findings from this survey support the need for better communication about the proper evaluation and management of EIB in the community and in asthma patients...
- Categorizing asthma severity and monitoring control of chronic asthmaGene L Colice
Director, Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Respiratory Services, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Curr Opin Pulm Med 8:4-8. 2002..Assessing airway inflammation using either sputum eosinophilia or exhaled nitric oxide levels has added little to clinical methods for determining asthma severity, but may be useful in monitoring the activity of the disease...
- The seduction of asthma severity categorizationGene L Colice
Chest 124:2054-6. 2003
- Withdrawal of albuterol inhalers containing chlorofluorocarbon propellantsLeslie Hendeles
College of Pharmacy and the Pediatric Pulmonary Division, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610 0486, USA
N Engl J Med 356:1344-51. 2007
- The physiologic evaluation of patients with lung cancer being considered for resectional surgeryMichael A Beckles
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
Chest 123:105S-114S. 2003..Combining LVRS and lung cancer resection should probably be limited to those patients with heterogeneous emphysema, particularly emphysema limited to the lobe containing the tumor...
- Overview of methodology for lung cancer evidence review and guideline developmentDouglas C McCrory
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705, USA
Chest 123:3S-6S. 2003....
- Economic burden of respiratory infections in an employed populationHoward G Birnbaum
Analysis Group Economics, Boston, MA 02199, USA
Chest 122:603-11. 2002..While respiratory infections are a leading cause of morbidity, there is little information on the costs of medically treating these conditions, or on their workplace impact...
- Initial evaluation of the patient with lung cancer: symptoms, signs, laboratory tests, and paraneoplastic syndromesMichael A Beckles
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
Chest 123:97S-104S. 2003..Also described are the common features of the various paraneoplastic syndromes associated with lung cancer...
- Follow-up and surveillance of the lung cancer patient following curative intent therapy: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guideline (2nd edition)Jeffrey Rubins
Pulmonary 111N, One Veterans Dr, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
Chest 132:355S-367S. 2007..To develop an evidence-based approach to follow-up of patients after curative intent therapy for lung cancer...
- Inhaled corticosteroids: past lessons and future issuesDavid B Allen
Division of Endocrinology, University of Wisconsin Children s Hospital, Madison 53792 4108, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 112:S1-40. 2003....
- Initial evaluation of the patient with lung cancer: symptoms, signs, laboratory tests, and paraneoplastic syndromes: ACCP evidenced-based clinical practice guidelines (2nd edition)Stephen G Spiro
Department of Respiratory Medicine, University College Hospital, Grafton Way, London WC1E 6AU, UK
Chest 132:149S-160S. 2007..This chapter of the guidelines is intended to provide an evidence-based assessment of the initial evaluation of patients recognized as having lung cancer and the recognition of paraneoplastic syndromes...
- Use of the health plan employer data and information set for measuring and improving the quality of asthma careErwin W Gelfand
Department of Pediatrics, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 97:298-305. 2006..To discuss the Health Plan Employer Data and Information Set (HEDIS) criteria for measuring performance in asthma care and to review new strategies to improve the quality of asthma care...
- Can you get more than you paid for with lung cancer screening?Gene L Colice
Chest 130:632-3. 2006
- Small airway disease: a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigmaGene L Colice
J Allergy Clin Immunol 118:337-9. 2006
- A focus on the asthma HEDIS measure and its implications for clinical practiceThomas J Davies
Immediate Past Chairman, Integrated Healthcare Association, Oakland, California 94659, USA
Manag Care Interface 19:29-36. 2006....
- Oral corticosteroids in poorly controlled asthmaGene L Colice
J Allergy Clin Immunol 115:200-1. 2005