H P Wiedemann
Affiliation: Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome: low-stretch ventilation improves survivalH P Wiedemann
Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 67:435-40. 2000..Mortality in the low-tidal-volume group was 31.0%, compared with 39.8% in the traditional-tidal-volume group, a 22% difference (P = .007)...
- Relative cost and outcomes in the intensive care unit of acute lung injury (ALI) due to pandemic influenza compared with other etiologies: a single-center studyJonathan Wiesen
Resident, Internal Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, USA
Ann Intensive Care 2:41. 2012..abstract:..
- A perspective on the fluids and catheters treatment trial (FACTT). Fluid restriction is superior in acute lung injury and ARDSHerbert P Wiedemann
Department of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, OH 44195, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 75:42-8. 2008..No significant differences were observed in the incidence of death by 60 days or of nonpulmonary organ failure at 28 days except for days of central nervous system failure, which were fewer in the conservative-strategy group...
- Comparison of two fluid-management strategies in acute lung injuryHerbert P Wiedemann
Department of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Ave, Desk A 90, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
N Engl J Med 354:2564-75. 2006..Optimal fluid management in patients with acute lung injury is unknown. Diuresis or fluid restriction may improve lung function but could jeopardize extrapulmonary-organ perfusion...
- Emerging systemic pharmacologic approaches in acute respiratory distress syndromeHerbert P Wiedemann
Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Desk A 90, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Respir Care Clin N Am 9:419-35. 2003..Active basic and clinical research continues, and it is hoped that these investigations will lead to new therapies that can be applied by the clinician to improve clinical outcomes for patients who have ALI and ARDS...
- Enteral omega-3 fatty acid, gamma-linolenic acid, and antioxidant supplementation in acute lung injuryTodd W Rice
Division of Allergy, Pulmonary, and Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
JAMA 306:1574-81. 2011....
- Listeria monocytogenes tricuspid valve endocarditis with septic pulmonary emboli in a liver transplant recipientR K Avery
Department of Infectious Disease and Transplant Center, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Transpl Infect Dis 1:284-7. 1999..The possible relationship between susceptibility to Listeria infection and the discontinuation of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole prophylaxis is of interest...
- Prognostic and pathogenetic value of combining clinical and biochemical indices in patients with acute lung injuryLorraine B Ware
DivisionAllergy, Pulmonary, and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232 2650, USA
Chest 137:288-96. 2010..We hypothesized that a combination of biologic and clinical markers would be superior to either biomarkers or clinical factors alone in predicting ALI/ARDS mortality and would provide insight into the pathogenesis of clinical ALI/ARDS...
- The bronchopulmonary pathology of alpha-1 antitrypsin (AAT) deficiency: findings of the Death Review Committee of the national registry for individuals with Severe Deficiency of Alpha-1 AntitrypsinJoseph F Tomashefski
Department of Pathology, MetroHealth Medical Center and Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44109 1998, USA
Hum Pathol 35:1452-61. 2004....
- Pulmonary-artery versus central venous catheter to guide treatment of acute lung injuryArthur P Wheeler
Vanderbilt University, Nashville, USA
N Engl J Med 354:2213-24. 2006..The balance between the benefits and the risks of pulmonary-artery catheters (PACs) has not been established...
- Incidence of ARDS in an adult population of northeast OhioAlejandro C Arroliga
Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio 44195, USA
Chest 121:1972-6. 2002..To assess the incidence of the ARDS in a well-defined adult population...
- Mortality in individuals with severe deficiency of alpha1-antitrypsin: findings from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute RegistryJames K Stoller
Department of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Ave, A90, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Chest 127:1196-204. 2005..2 years)...
- Partial liquid ventilation in adult patients with acute respiratory distress syndromeRobert M Kacmarek
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Harvard Medical School, and Respiratory Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:882-9. 2006..Partial liquid ventilation (PLV) using perfluorocarbons has been shown to improve oxygenation and decrease lung injury in various animal models...
- Use of sedatives, opioids, and neuromuscular blocking agents in patients with acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndromeAlejandro C Arroliga
Scott and White, and Texas A and M Health Science Center College of Medicine, Temple, TX, USA
Crit Care Med 36:1083-8. 2008....
- Reasons for nonenrollment in a clinical trial of acute lung injuryAndrea E Glassberg
The Permanente Medical Group, 39400 Paseo Padre Parkway, Fremont, CA 94538, USA
Chest 134:719-23. 2008..We examined the reasons for nonenrollment and the impact of the availability of a surrogate decision maker on critical care clinical trials enrollment...
- Severe acute respiratory syndrome, pulmonary function tests, and quality of life: lessons learnedAlejandro C Arroliga
Chest 128:1088-9. 2005
- Pulmonary artery catheter and fluid management in acute lung injury and the acute respiratory distress syndromeGustavo A Heresi
Department of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Clin Chest Med 27:627-35; abstract ix. 2006..In this article, we review the evidence on the use of the PAC in patients with ALI/ARDS, paying particular attention to the recently published fluid and catheter treatment trial by the ARDS Clinical Trials Network...