Affiliation: Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Stroke Legislation Impacts Distribution of Certified Stroke Centers in the United StatesKen Uchino
From the Cerebrovascular Center, Neurological Insitute K U, S M, I L K and Department of Quantitative Health Sciences J D S, Cleveland Clinic, OH
Stroke 46:1903-8. 2015....
- Does the sex of acute stroke patients influence the effectiveness of rt-PA?Fawaz Al-Hussain
Department of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
BMC Neurol 14:60. 2014..To investigate this we studied a series of stroke patients receiving IV rt-PA and undergoing acute transcranial doppler (TCD) examination...
- Paroxysmal rhinorrhea after medullary infarctKen Uchino
Cerebrovascular Center, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Case Rep Neurol 4:28-30. 2012..We report a case of unilateral intermittent rhinorrhea that started after an ischemic stroke in the ipsilateral lateral medulla and cerebellum. Rhinorrhea might be mediated by dysfunction of the sympathetic autonomic system...
- Dabigatran association with higher risk of acute coronary events: meta-analysis of noninferiority randomized controlled trialsKen Uchino
Cerebrovascular Center, Neurological Institute, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Ave, Mail Code S80, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Arch Intern Med 172:397-402. 2012..We systematically evaluated the risk of MI or acute coronary syndrome (ACS) with the use of dabigatran...
- Protocol adherence and safety of intravenous thrombolysis after telephone consultation with a stroke centerKen Uchino
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Stroke Institute, Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 19:417-23. 2010..Our findings indicate the need for improved protocol adherence for stroke thrombolysis in patients presenting to small community hospitals...
- Transient ischemic attack after tissue plasminogen activator: aborted stroke or unnecessary stroke therapy?Ken Uchino
UPMC Stroke Institute, Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Cerebrovasc Dis 29:57-61. 2010..The frequency with which intravenous thrombolysis for acute ischemic stroke results in normal clinical and radiographic status is currently unknown...
- Lower pretreatment cerebral blood volume affects hemorrhagic risks after intra-arterial revascularization in acute strokeArchit Bhatt
Department of Neurology, Division of Cerebrovascular Diseases, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, USA
Neurosurgery 63:874-8; discussion 878-9. 2008..We sought to determine whether pretreatment computed tomography perfusion parameters might help to identify patients at a higher risk of developing intracranial hemorrhage after intra-arterial stroke revascularization treatment...
- Safety, feasibility, and short-term follow-up of drug-eluting stent placement in the intracranial and extracranial circulationRishi Gupta
Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Stroke 37:2562-6. 2006..We report our technical success rate and short-term restenosis rates after stenting with DESs in the intracranial and extracranial circulation...
- Reduced pretreatment ipsilateral middle cerebral artery cerebral blood flow is predictive of symptomatic hemorrhage post-intra-arterial thrombolysis in patients with middle cerebral artery occlusionRishi Gupta
Department of Neurology, Stroke Institute, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 200 Lothrop St, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Stroke 37:2526-30. 2006..We hypothesized that patients with lower prethrombolysis cerebral blood flow (CBF) were at a higher risk of symptomatic ICH (sICH)...
- Multimodal reperfusion therapy for acute ischemic stroke: factors predicting vessel recanalizationRishi Gupta
Department of Neurology, Stroke Institute, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pennsylvania, USA
Stroke 37:986-90. 2006..Endovascular therapies using mechanical and pharmacological modalities for large vessel occlusions in acute stroke are rapidly evolving. Our aim was to determine whether one modality is associated with higher recanalization rates...
- Addition of hyperacute MRI AIDS in patient selection, decreasing the use of endovascular stroke therapyDolora Wisco
From the Cerebrovascular Center, Neurological Institute D W, K U, J G, S A, P G, C R N, S M, J M, M W, E C C, F H, G T, M B, P R, M S H and Imaging Institute T M, P R, Cleveland Clinic, OH Division of Neurology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada M S Department of Stroke Medicine, Kawasaki Medical School, Kurashiki, Japan J A and Cerebrovascular Center, Nagasaki University Hospital, Nagasaki City, Japan Y T
Stroke 45:467-72. 2014..We implemented a protocol to perform pretreatment MRI on patients with large-vessel occlusion eligible for EST to aid in patient selection...
- The location of pretreatment hyperdense middle cerebral artery sign predicts the outcome of intraarterial thrombectomy for acute strokeShumei Man
Cerebrovascular Center, Neurological Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
J Neuroimaging 25:263-8. 2015..We aimed to investigate whether hyperdense middle cerebral artery sign (HMCAS) on preintervention nonenhanced CT (NECT) predicts IA therapy outcome for acute stroke...
- Predictors of infarct growth after endovascular therapy for acute ischemic strokeShumei Man
Cerebrovascular Center, Neurological Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio
J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 24:401-7. 2015..The core infarct also grows at a variable rate despite recanalization. We aim to study the factors that are associated with infarct growth after IA therapy...
- Endovascular treatment of basilar artery occlusion by manual aspiration thrombectomyBrian T Jankowitz
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Neurointerv Surg 2:110-4. 2010..Intravenous and intra-arterial therapy have altered the natural history of this disease; however, clinical results remain poor. Therefore, exploring more aggressive and innovative management is warranted...
- Mechanical approaches combined with intra-arterial pharmacological therapy are associated with higher recanalization rates than either intervention alone in revascularization of acute carotid terminus occlusionRidwan Lin
Stroke Institute, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Stroke 40:2092-7. 2009..Historically, pharmacological thrombolysis alone has low recanalization rates. We sought to determine whether adjunctive mechanical approaches achieve better vessel recanalization and functional outcome...
- Diffusion-weighted imaging volume as the best predictor of the diffusion-perfusion mismatch in acute stroke patients within 8 hours of onsetJunya Aoki
Cerebrovascular Center, Neurological Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio
J Neuroimaging 25:217-25. 2015..Diagnostic accuracies of standard NCCT, CTA, CTA-SI, FLAIR, and DWI to detect the diffusion-perfusion mismatch (DPM) were compared...
- Post-intervention TCD examination may be useful to predict outcome in acute ischemic stroke patients with successful intra-arterial interventionJunya Aoki
Cerebrovascular Center, Neurological Institute, Cleveland Clinic, OH, USA Electronic address
J Neurol Sci 334:26-9. 2013..Some acute stoke patients have a poor outcome despite successful arterial recanalization. We hypothesized that transcranial Doppler (TCD) findings from the rescued artery might predict poor outcome in patients with recanalization...
- Aortic dissection presenting as an acute ischemic stroke for thrombolysisKen Uchino
Department of Neurology, University of Texas Houston Medical School, Houston, TX, USA
J Neuroimaging 15:281-3. 2005..An experienced sonographer with skills to perform rapid intra- and extracranial examinations may help to change the treatment plan for acute stroke patients...
- Collateral flow and brain changes on computed tomography angiography predict infarct volume on early diffusion-weighted imagingJunya Aoki
Cerebrovascular Center, Neurological Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio Electronic address
J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 23:2845-50. 2014..We investigated whether a computed tomography (CT)-based score could predict a large infarct (≥ 80 mL) on early diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging (DWI)...
- Emergent stenting of extracranial internal carotid artery occlusion in acute stroke has a high revascularization rateTudor G Jovin
Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Stroke Institute, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Stroke 36:2426-30. 2005..In selected cases, revascularization with carotid artery stenting has been reported, but the safety, recanalization rate, and clinical outcomes in consecutive case series are not known...
- Quantitative perihematomal blood flow in spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage predicts in-hospital functional outcomeAshis H Tayal
Department of Neurology and University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Stroke Institute, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Stroke 38:319-24. 2007..We correlated perihematomal CBF in a retrospective series of 42 subacute spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage patients undergoing xenon computed tomography with in-hospital discharge status and mortality...
- Platelet C4d is associated with acute ischemic stroke and stroke severityNidhi Mehta
University of Pittsburgh School of the Health Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Stroke 39:3236-41. 2008..We compared the prevalence of platelet C4d and investigated the clinical associations of platelet C4d in patients with acute ischemic stroke...
- Argatroban tPA stroke study: study design and results in the first treated cohortRebecca M Sugg
Department of Neurology, University of Texas Houston Medical School, 6431 Fannin, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Arch Neurol 63:1057-62. 2006..Argatroban is a direct thrombin inhibitor that safely augments the benefit of rtPA in animal stroke models. There are no human data on this combination...
- High-resolution MRI vessel wall imaging in varicella zoster virus vasculopathyEsteban Cheng-Ching
Department of Neuroradiology, Imaging Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA
J Neurol Sci 351:168-73. 2015..Follow-up HRMR showed improvement of stenosis, with reduced vessel wall thickening and enhancement at multiple times after treatment. HRMR has the potential to assist in diagnosis and treatment of VZV vasculopathy. ..
- Intra-arterial therapy for acute ischemic stroke under general anesthesia versus monitored anesthesia careSeby John
Cerebrovascular Center, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Cerebrovasc Dis 38:262-7. 2014..The reasons for this association have not been systematically studied...
- Extracranial-intracranial bypass surgery for stroke prevention in hemodynamic cerebral ischemia: the Carotid Occlusion Surgery Study randomized trialWilliam J Powers
Department of Neurology, Box 7025, Room 2131, 170 Manning Dr, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
JAMA 306:1983-92. 2011..Patients with symptomatic atherosclerotic internal carotid artery occlusion (AICAO) and hemodynamic cerebral ischemia are at high risk for subsequent stroke when treated medically...
- Safety and feasibility of a lower dose intravenous TPA therapy for ischemic stroke beyond the first three hoursKen Uchino
Stroke Program, Department of Neurology, University of Texas Houston Medical School, USA
Cerebrovasc Dis 19:260-6. 2005..The risk/benefit ratio is more unfavorable beyond this time, but some patients might still benefit. We designed a pilot study with the hypothesis that lower dose TPA might be safe in selected patients treated beyond 3 h...
- Last resort: case of clot translocation in intra-arterial stroke therapySeby John
Cerebrovascular Center, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Neurointerv Surg 6:e50. 2014..While uncommon, strategies to overcome this are important to keep in mind during acute stroke intervention. ..
- The stroke 8: a daily checklist for inpatient stroke managementIrene Katzan
From the Neurological Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH Speck Technologies, Cleveland, OH and Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ
Crit Pathw Cardiol 14:1-6. 2015..We have found the Stroke 8 to be a valuable tool in the daily inpatient management of patients with acute stroke. ..
- Acute endovascular reperfusion therapy in ischemic stroke: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsToshiya Osanai
Cerebrovascular Center, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, United States of America
PLoS ONE 10:e0122806. 2015..Randomized controlled trials (RCTs) of endovascular therapy for acute ischemic stroke have had inconsistent results. We evaluated the efficacy and safety of endovascular therapy in published RCTs...
- Centenarian middle cerebral artery occlusion treated with intra-arterial mechanical embolectomyChristopher L Cummings
Cerebrovascular Center, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Neurointerv Surg 4:e23. 2012..The patient improved, and ultimately returned to a baseline modified Rankin Scale score of 3. With careful selection, elderly patients may benefit from acute stroke therapies and may be considered on a case by case basis...
- Moyamoya disease in Washington State and CaliforniaKen Uchino
Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Neurology 65:956-8. 2005..2 (95% CI: 1.3 to 2.4) for African Americans, and 0.5 (95% CI: 0.3 to 0.8) for Hispanics. The incidence of moyamoya in Washington and California was lower than reported in Japan, but the rate among US Asians is similar...