Martin L Smith
Affiliation: Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Toward competency-based certification of clinical ethics consultants: a four-step processMartin L Smith
Department of Bioethics at the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Clin Ethics 21:14-22. 2010....
- Texas hospitals' experience with the Texas Advance Directives ActMartin L Smith
Cleveland Clinic, OH, USA
Crit Care Med 35:1271-6. 2007..This study was undertaken to determine awareness of and experience with the medical appropriateness review process at Texas Hospital Association (THA) member hospitals from 1999 to 2004...
- The goals of ethics consultation: rejecting the role of "ethics police"Martin L Smith
Department of Bioethics, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Am J Bioeth 7:42-4. 2007
- National practices regarding payment to research subjects for participating in pediatric researchKathryn L Weise
Department of Pediatric Critical Care, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Pediatrics 110:577-82. 2002..Ethical issues of payment for participation of adult versus pediatric research subjects may differ. This empirical study sought to examine current payment practices for participation in pediatric research as reported by IRBs...
- Just whose autonomy is it?Mellar P Davis
Harry R Horvitz Center for Palliative Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:67s-69s. 2003
- Living donor liver transplantation: ethical considerationsCharles M Miller
Department of General Surgery, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA
Mt Sinai J Med 79:214-22. 2012..Our ethical justification will include a presentation of triangular or tripartite equipoise, a framework that aims to balance donor safety, expected recipient outcomes, and need...
- Advance care planning: Beyond the living willBarbara J Messinger-Rapport
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, OH 44195, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 76:276-85. 2009..The durable power of attorney for health care is a more versatile document. We advocate focusing less on "signing away" certain interventions and more on clarifying the goals of care in the ambulatory setting...
- Impact of a palliative care service on in-hospital mortality in a comprehensive cancer centerAhmed Elsayem
Department of Palliative Care and Rehabilitation Medicine, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Palliat Med 9:894-902. 2006..These services are not available in many cancer centers and tertiary hospitals. The purpose of this study was to review the impact of a palliative care program, established in 1999, on overall in-hospital mortality...
- Manipulation of base excision repair to sensitize ovarian cancer cells to alkylating agent temozolomideMelissa L Fishel
Department of Pediatrics Section of Hematology Oncology, Herman B Wells Center for Pediatric Research, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Clin Cancer Res 13:260-7. 2007....
- Challenges in outpatient end-of-life care: wishes to avoid resuscitationJessica P Hwang
Department of General Internal Medicine, Ambulatory Treatment, and Emergency Care, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:4643-5. 2004
- Criteria for determining the appropriate method for an ethics consultationMartin L Smith
University of Texas, Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 77030, USA
HEC Forum 16:95-113. 2004
- Advance directives, due process, and medical futilityAnne L Flamm
Ann Intern Med 140:403-4; author reply 404. 2004
- Should possible disparities and distrust trump do-no-harm?Martin L Smith
University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, USA
Am J Bioeth 6:28-30; discussion W30-2. 2006