Donald A Malone
Affiliation: Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Deep brain stimulation of the ventral capsule/ventral striatum for treatment-resistant depressionDonald A Malone
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, Center for Neurological Restoration, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Biol Psychiatry 65:267-75. 2009..We investigated the use of deep brain stimulation (DBS) of the ventral capsule/ventral striatum (VC/VS) for treatment refractory depression...
- Use of deep brain stimulation in treatment-resistant depressionDonald A Malone
Center for Behavioral Health, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 77:S77-80. 2010..While such research should benefit from the recent US Food and Drug Administration approval of deep brain stimulation for severe obsessive-compulsive disorder, it must adhere to strict principles for appropriate patient selection...
- Neuropsychological outcome after deep brain stimulation in the ventral capsule/ventral striatum for highly refractory obsessive-compulsive disorder or major depressionCynthia S Kubu
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 91:374-8. 2013..We describe the neuropsychological outcome in 21 patients (10 OCD and 11 MDD) who received DBS in the anterior limb of the internal capsule/ventral striatum (VC/VS)...
- Effects of electroconvulsive therapy on brain functional activation and connectivity in depressionErik B Beall
Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J ECT 28:234-41. 2012..The present study investigated brain function before and after electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) in patients with major depressive disorder (MDD) and demonstrated the effect of treatment on cortical activation patterns...
- Axonal pathways linked to therapeutic and nontherapeutic outcomes during psychiatric deep brain stimulationJ Luis Lujan
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Hum Brain Mapp 33:958-68. 2012..As such, the goal of this study was to develop a method for identifying axonal pathways whose activation is most likely necessary for achieving therapeutic benefits during DBS...
- Deep brain stimulation of the ventral striatum/anterior limb of the internal capsule in thalamic pain syndrome: study protocol for a pilot randomized controlled trialEla B Plow
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and Center for Neurological Restoration, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue, ND20, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Trials 14:241. 2013..Instead, we hypothesize that targeting structures representing emotion and affective behavior-ventral striatum/anterior limb of the internal capsule, may alleviate disability...
- A comprehensive review of the use of deep brain stimulation (DBS) in treatment of psychiatric and headache disordersMurat Altinay
Department of Psychiatry, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA
Headache 55:345-50. 2015..It has been utilized among various psychiatric and neurological illnesses, in particular headache disorders. This article reviews the most relevant data regarding DBS for psychiatric and primary headache disorders...
- A practical approach to prescribing antidepressantsElizabeth Shultz
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, Cleveland Clinic Clinical Instructor, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
Cleve Clin J Med 80:625-31. 2013....
- Cerebral stimulation for the affective component of neuropathic painAndre G Machado
Center for Neurological Restoration, Neurological Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA
Neuromodulation 16:514-8. 2013....
- Where in the brain is depression?Mayur Pandya
Department of Psychiatry and Center for Behavioral Health, Neurological Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA
Curr Psychiatry Rep 14:634-42. 2012..In future studies, this distributed nature of depression needs to be further investigated, primary and secondary areas affected need to be identified, and new paradigms to explain complex mental functions need to be explored...
- Behavioral neurosurgeryDonald A Malone
Department of Psychiatry, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Adv Neurol 99:241-7. 2006