H H Fernandez
Affiliation: Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Nonmotor complications of Parkinson diseaseHubert H Fernandez
Movement Disorders Program, Center for Neurological Restoration, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 79:S14-8. 2012..Thus, a balance must be struck between controlling nonmotor manifestations and motor features of the disease...
- The Frequency of Nonmotor Symptoms among Advanced Parkinson Patients May Depend on Instrument Used for AssessmentNelson Hwynn
University of Florida Center for Movement Disorders and Neurorestoration, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32607, USA
Parkinsons Dis 2011:290195. 2011..Conclusion The frequency of NMS among advanced PD patients and correlation between patients and caregivers varied with the instrument used. The overall correlation between patient and caregiver was greater with NMS-Q than NMS-S...
- Levodopa-carbidopa intestinal gel in advanced Parkinson's disease open-label study: interim resultsHubert H Fernandez
Center for Neurological Restoration, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Ave, U 2, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 19:339-45. 2013..Interim results from this advanced PD cohort demonstrate that LCIG produced meaningful clinical improvements. LCIG was generally well-tolerated; however, device and procedural complications, while generally of mild severity, were common...
- Updates in the medical management of Parkinson diseaseHubert H Fernandez
Center for Neurological Restoration, S31, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 79:28-35. 2012..A cure remains elusive. However, promising interventions and agents are emerging. As an example, people who exercise regularly are less likely to develop Parkinson disease, and if they develop it, they tend to have slower progression...
- Levodopa-carbidopa intestinal gel for treatment of advanced Parkinson's diseaseH H Fernandez
Department of Neurology, Center for Neurological Restoration, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44122, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 27:907-19. 2011..The inability of perorally administered levodopa to provide more physiologic continuous dopaminergic stimulation (CDS) is a leading hypothesis to explain these complications...
- Usefulness of screening tools for predicting driving performance in people with Parkinson's diseaseSherrilene Classen
Institute for Mobility, Activity and Participation, University of Florida, PO Box 100164, Gainesville, FL 32611 0164, USA
Am J Occup Ther 65:579-88. 2011..We used screening tests administered by a certified driving rehabilitation specialist and by Parkinson's disease (PD) specialty neurologists to develop a model to predict on-road outcomes for patients with PD...
- Mood and motor effects of thalamic deep brain stimulation surgery for essential tremorJ Graff-Radford
Department of Neurology, University of Florida Movement Disorders Center, McKnight Brain Institute, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Eur J Neurol 17:1040-6. 2010..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of unilateral and bilateral ventralis intermedius (Vim) deep brain stimulation (DBS) on mood and motor function...
- Useful field of view as a reliable screening measure of driving performance in people with Parkinson's disease: results of a pilot studyS Classen
National Older Driver Research and Training Center, Department of Occupational Therapy, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Traffic Inj Prev 10:593-8. 2009....
- Aspiration and swallowing in Parkinson disease and rehabilitation with EMST: a randomized trialM S Troche
PO Box 117420, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Neurology 75:1912-9. 2010..The current study's objective was to test the treatment outcome of a 4-week device-driven EMST program on swallow safety and define the physiologic mechanisms through measures of swallow timing and hyoid displacement...
- Valproate for the treatment of medication-induced impulse-control disorders in three patients with Parkinson's diseaseC W Hicks
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, Cleveland, OH, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 17:379-81. 2011..Based on these encouraging preliminary observations, future controlled clinical trials investigating the efficacy of valproate for ICDs in PD are recommended...
- Perceptual characteristics of Parkinsonian speech: a comparison of the pharmacological effects of levodopa across speech and non-speech motor systemsE K Plowman-Prine
Department of Neurology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
NeuroRehabilitation 24:131-44. 2009..No significant differences were obtained between medicated states ('on'/'off') for any of the 35 individual speech dimensions and speech-sign clusters. Global motor function significantly improved following dopaminergic medications...
- Is 6 months of neuroleptic withdrawal sufficient to distinguish drug-induced parkinsonism from Parkinson's disease?T T Lim
Center for Neurological Restoration, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Int J Neurosci 123:170-4. 2013..The majority of the literature uses the 6-month timeframe between the neuroleptic withdrawal and resolution of the symptoms of parkinsonism...
- Istradefylline as monotherapy for Parkinson disease: results of the 6002-US-051 trialH H Fernandez
Department of Neurology, University of Florida Movement Disorders Center, PO Box 100236, 100 South Newell Dr, L3 100, Gainesville, FL 32610 0236, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 16:16-20. 2010..6002-US-051 was a 12-week, double-blind study evaluating the safety and efficacy of istradefylline, a selective A(2A) adenosine receptor antagonist, as monotherapy in patients with Parkinson's disease (PD)...
- Brain penetration effects of microelectrodes and DBS leads in STN or GPiJ M Mann
Department of Neurology, University of Florida College of Medicine Shands Hospital, Movement Disorders Center, McKnight Brain Institute, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 80:794-7. 2009..Secondarily, to evaluate whether the longevity of the MER and lead placement effects were influenced by target location (subthalamic nucleus (STN) or globus pallidus interna (GPi))...