Joseph P Crowe
Affiliation: Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- The importance of preoperative breast MRI for patients newly diagnosed with breast cancerJoseph P Crowe
Department of General Surgery Breast Center, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, USA
Breast J 15:52-60. 2009..Preoperative bMRI for patients newly diagnosed with breast cancer identified previously occult and separate tumors in 13% of patients, resulting in surgical treatment change for many...
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy update: one hundred forty-nine procedures and clinical outcomesJoseph P Crowe
Department of General Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Ave, A80, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Arch Surg 143:1106-10; discussion 1110. 2008..To describe our experience with patients who underwent the nipple-sparing mastectomy procedure developed and standardized at our institution and to report clinical outcomes for those patients with a breast cancer diagnosis...
- HER2 status in bilateral breast cancerJoseph P Crowe
Departments of General Surgery Breast Center, The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Int J Fertil Womens Med 51:219-23. 2006..The purpose of this study was to identify correlates of HER2 status for patients with bilateral breast cancer...
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy: technique and results of 54 proceduresJoseph P Crowe
Departments of General Surgery and Plastic Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic Breast Center, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Arch Surg 139:148-50. 2004..Neoplastic involvement of the NAC can be predicted before surgery and assessed during the operation, and sustained postoperative viability of the NAC is likely with appropriate surgical technique...
- A data model to predict HER2 status in breast cancer based on the clinical and pathologic profiles of a large patient population at a single institutionJoseph P Crowe
Department of General Surgery Breast Center, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Desk A 80, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Breast 15:728-35. 2006..Correlates of HER2 amplification were higher Scarff-Bloom-Richardson grade, younger age at diagnosis, and a comedo ductal carcinoma in situ component...
- Race is a fundamental prognostic indicator for 2325 northeastern Ohio women with infiltrating breast cancerJoseph P Crowe
Department of General Surgery, Breast Center, The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Breast J 11:124-8. 2005..The prognostic significance of race was not dependent on a concomitant relationship with socioeconomic status...
- Loss of breast cancer metastasis suppressor 1 protein expression predicts reduced disease-free survival in subsets of breast cancer patientsDavid G Hicks
Department of Clinical and Anatomic Pathology, General Surgery-Breast Center, Lerner Research Institute, The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:6702-8. 2006..BRMS1 staining could potentially be used in patient stratification in conjunction with other prognostic markers. Further, mechanisms other than genomic deletion account for loss of BRMS1 gene expression in breast tumors...
- The 2003 revised TNM staging system for breast cancer: results of stage re-classification on survival and future comparisons among stage groupsPedro F Escobar
Departments of General Surgery Breast Center, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 14:143-7. 2007..We hypothesize these TNM staging changes would result in more TNM Stage IIB, IIIA, and IIIB tumors and that disease-specific survival estimates would change under the new staging system...
- Identification of breast cancer in patients with pathologic nipple discharge: does ductoscopy predict malignancy?Lana D Louie
Department of Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44106 5047, USA
Am J Surg 192:530-3. 2006..The purpose of the current study was to review characteristics of patients with nipple discharge who underwent ductoscopy-assisted excisional biopsy who had a final diagnosis of carcinoma...
- Prognostic significance of residual breast disease and axillary node involvement for patients who had primary induction chemotherapy for advanced breast cancerPedro F Escobar
Department of General Surgery Breast Center, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, The Cleveland Clinic Breast Center, 9500 Euclid Avenue, A10, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 13:783-7. 2006....
- Fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) as primary methodology for the assessment of HER2 Status in adenocarcinoma of the breast: a single institution experienceRaymond R Tubbs
Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation and the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Diagn Mol Pathol 16:207-10. 2007..0 or more in at least 80% of tumor cells, was observed in 3% (20/742) of the cases. These data may be helpful as benchmarks for other institutions initiating primary FISH analysis for HER2 genotyping...
- Does core needle breast biopsy accurately reflect breast pathology?Joseph P Crowe
Cleveland Clinic Breast Center and the Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, A 80, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Surgery 134:523-6; discussion 526-8. 2003..The purpose of this study was to determine the degree of agreement between histology obtained at CB and that obtained at a subsequent excisional procedure (EP). We hypothesized a high degree of agreement...
- Does ultrasound core breast biopsy predict histologic finding on excisional biopsy?Joseph P Crowe
Cleveland Clinic Breast Center, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Ave, A10, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Am J Surg 186:397-9. 2003..The purpose of this study was to determine whether ultrasound-guided core breast biopsy accurately predicts the histologic finding of a subsequent excisional procedure...
- Myeloma of the breastPedro F Escobar
Department of General Surgery-Breast Center, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Breast J 12:387-8. 2006
- The clinical applications of mammary ductoscopyPedro F Escobar
The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
Am J Surg 191:211-5. 2006..CONCLUSIONS: MD is useful in the management of PND, but its potential role in the early detection or management of breast cancer requires further investigation...
- The expression of the cytoskeletal focal adhesion protein paxillin in breast cancer correlates with HER2 overexpression and may help predict response to chemotherapy: a retrospective immunohistochemical studySarah M Short
Department of Anatomic and Clinical Pathology L25, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Breast J 13:130-9. 2007..Further study of a role for paxillin expression in predicting response to cytotoxic regimens or targeted treatments is warranted...
- The incidence of topoisomerase II-alpha genomic alterations in adenocarcinoma of the breast and their relationship to human epidermal growth factor receptor-2 gene amplification: a fluorescence in situ hybridization studyDavid G Hicks
Department of Anatomic Pathology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Hum Pathol 36:348-56. 2005..If TOP2A gene dosage can be confirmed to correlate with tumor responsiveness to anthracycline-based therapy in the clinical setting, FISH testing for TOP2A status may be warranted to aid in the selection of the most appropriate therapy...
- Ductoscopy-assisted microdochectomyPedro F Escobar
Department of General Surgery-Breast Center, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Int J Fertil Womens Med 49:222-4. 2004..In the present series of 40 cases, ductoscopy was used to guide the infusion of methylene blue dye, through the endoscope, to find the index duct, which is then removed through a small incision just inside the areola...
- Breast cancers with brain metastases are more likely to be estrogen receptor negative, express the basal cytokeratin CK5/6, and overexpress HER2 or EGFRDavid G Hicks
Clinical and Anatomic Pathology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, OH 44195, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 30:1097-104. 2006....
- Impact of postmastectomy radiation on locoregional recurrence in breast cancer patients with 1-3 positive lymph nodes treated with modern systemic therapyRahul D Tendulkar
Department of Radiation Oncology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 83:e577-81. 2012..Postmastectomy radiation therapy (PMRT) remains controversial for patients with 1-3 positive lymph nodes (LN+)...
- Axillary lymph node metastases in patients with a final diagnosis of ductal carcinoma in situTricia A Kelly
Cleveland Clinic Breast Center, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Department of General Surgery, A-80, 9500 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Am J Surg 186:368-70. 2003..CONCLUSIONS: These data do not support axillary lymph node removal of any type in patients with pure DCIS...
- Directed duct excision by using mammary ductoscopy in patients with pathologic nipple dischargeJill R Dietz
Departments of General Surgery and Biostatistics, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Surgery 132:582-7; discussion 587-8. 2002..Lesions deep within the ductal system can be identified and removed, which would likely have been missed by blind duct excision...
- Breast surgery: minimally invasive diagnosis and treatmentBarbara J Messinger-Rapport
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine and Section of Geriatric Medicine, Department of General Internal Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Desk A91, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Clin Geriatr Med 22:585-603. 2006....
- Schistosomiasis presenting with microcalcifications on mammographyPedro F Escobar
Department of General Surgery-Breast Center, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Breast J 11:489-90. 2005
- Prospective study of intraoperative mammary ductoscopy in patients undergoing partial mastectomy for breast cancerJulian A Kim
Department of General Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Ave, Desk A80, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Am J Surg 188:411-4. 2004....
- A prospective review of the decline of excisional breast biopsyJoseph P Crowe
The Cleveland Clinic Breast Center, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Am J Surg 184:353-5. 2002..CONCLUSIONS: Our data indicate that core biopsies are being performed more often than excisional biopsies. Nevertheless, one in three biopsies done at our institution is excisional...
- In vivo margin assessment during partial mastectomy breast surgery using raman spectroscopyAbigail S Haka
George R. Harrison Spectroscopy Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Cancer Res 66:3317-22. 2006....
- Meta-analysis of survival in African American and white American patients with breast cancer: ethnicity compared with socioeconomic statusLisa A Newman
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:1342-9. 2006....
- Integrating medical breast specialists into the traditional breast center practice model: a review of 11 years of experienceHolly J Smedira
Arch Intern Med 168:2042-5. 2008
- The unmet clinical need for new molecular genetic markers in the prognosis and therapeutic management of breast cancerDavid G Hicks
Arch Pathol Lab Med 129:1372-4. 2005