L S Aboussouan
Affiliation: Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Noninvasive positive pressure ventilation: Increasing use in acute careLoutfi S Aboussouan
Respiratory Institute, Cleveland Clinic
Cleve Clin J Med 77:307-16. 2010..In this review, we summarize how NIPPV has evolved, the current level of evidence that supports its use in various clinical situations, its potential contraindications, and its limitations in acute respiratory failure...
- Mechanisms of exercise limitation and pulmonary rehabilitation for patients with neuromuscular diseaseL S Aboussouan
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Respiratory Institute, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Chron Respir Dis 6:231-49. 2009..g., extremity training for task-specific performance, exercise training to enhance exercise performance, respiratory muscle training where respiratory muscle involvement contributes to the impairment)...
- Detection of alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency: a reviewLoutfi S Aboussouan
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Respiratory Institute, OH 44195, USA
Respir Med 103:335-41. 2009....
- Determinants of long-term mortality after prolonged mechanical ventilationLoutfi S Aboussouan
Department of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Harper University Hospital, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Lung 186:299-306. 2008..We therefore sought to assess the early determinants of long-term survival after discharge from a specialized respiratory unit...
- Disorders of pulmonary function, sleep, and the upper airway in Charcot-Marie-Tooth diseaseLoutfi S Aboussouan
Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 26900 Cedar Road, Suite 325 S, Beachwood, OH 44122, USA
Lung 185:1-7. 2007..The risk of progression to bilateral vocal cord dysfunction in CMT and the risk of aspiration with laryngeal neuropathy may limit the therapeutic options available for vocal cord paralysis...
- Determinants of time-to-weaning in a specialized respiratory care unitLoutfi S Aboussouan
Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Harper University Hospital, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA
Chest 128:3117-26. 2005..As the decision-making process in long-term respiratory care units often depends on time-based outcomes, we sought to identify independent predictors of time-to-weaning (TTW) in a hospital-based specialized respiratory care unit...
- Respiratory disorders in neurologic diseasesLoutfi S Aboussouan
Department of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, OH 44195, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 72:511-20. 2005..Often the first signs are sleep disturbances and nocturnal desaturation. Although the diseases are diverse, common principles apply in their management...
- alpha1-Antitrypsin deficiency . 5: intravenous augmentation therapy: current understandingJ K Stoller
Division of Medicine, Section of Respiratory Therapy, Cleveland Clinic Lerner School of Medicine, Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Thorax 59:708-12. 2004..The biochemical and clinical efficacy of intravenous augmentation therapy in alpha(1)-antitrypsin deficiency is reviewed, adverse events experienced with this treatment are considered, and its cost effectiveness is discussed...
- Objective measures of the efficacy of noninvasive positive-pressure ventilation in amyotrophic lateral sclerosisL S Aboussouan
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Harper Hospital, 3 Hudson, 3990 John R, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Muscle Nerve 24:403-9. 2001..002). Although NIPPV has no impact on the rate of decline of lung function and may have deleterious effects on spirometric measures, it may improve quality of life and survival...
- Alpha1-antitrypsin deficiencyJames K Stoller
Department of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Lancet 365:2225-36. 2005..Evidence suggests that this approach is safe, slows the decline of lung function, could reduce infection rates, and might enhance survival. However, uncertainty about the cost-effectiveness of this expensive treatment remains...
- Effect of acute aminophylline administration on diaphragm function in high cervical tetraplegia: a case reportAmy T Bascom
Wayne State University School of Medicine, Department of Anatomy, Room 9335 Scott Hall, 540 East Canfield, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Chest 127:658-61. 2005..The subject was successfully weaned from ventilatory support. We conclude that administration of aminophylline facilitated weaning from ventilatory support in this tetraplegic patient...
- Posthypoxic ventilatory decline during NREM sleep: influence of sleep apneaAmal M Omran
Medical Service, John D. Dingell Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Appl Physiol 96:2220-5. 2004....