Affiliation: Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Dexamethasone, light anaesthesia, and tight glucose control (DeLiT) randomized controlled trialB B Abdelmalak
Department of General Anaesthesiology, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44102, USA www OR org
Br J Anaesth 111:209-21. 2013..We tested the primary hypotheses that major perioperative morbidity is reduced by three potential anti-inflammatory interventions: (i) low-dose dexamethasone, (ii) intensive intraoperative glucose control, and (iii) lighter anaesthesia...
- Intraoperative tissue oxygenation and postoperative outcomes after major non-cardiac surgery: an observational studyB B Abdelmalak
Department of General Anesthesiology, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Ave E 31, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Br J Anaesth 110:241-9. 2013..We tested the hypothesis that perioperative in patients undergoing major non-cardiac surgery is inversely related to serious surgical outcomes...
- Anesthesia for bronchoscopyBasem B Abdelmalak
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University, Ohio, USA
Curr Pharm Des 18:6314-24. 2012..Special situations, such as tracheoesophageal fistula and mediastinal masses, are also considered...
- Fospropofol, a new sedative anesthetic, and its utility in the perioperative periodBasem Abdelmalak
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University, OH, USA
Curr Pharm Des 18:6241-52. 2012..In light of current shortages of many anesthetic drugs, whether forspropofol can take the place of propofol in ICUs and operating rooms remains to be determined...
- Perioperative glycemic management in insulin pump patients undergoing noncardiac surgeryBasem Abdelmalak
Preoperative Anesthesia Consultation and Evaluation Clinic, Departments of General Anesthesiology and Outcomes Research, Director, Center for Sedation, Anesthesiology Institute, OH, USA
Curr Pharm Des 18:6204-14. 2012..Here we propose a comprehensive algorithm for perioperative glycemic management in insulin pump patients undergoing noncardiac surgery. Where applicable, we discuss the rationale behind the algorithm...
- Validation of the DeLiT Trial intravenous insulin infusion algorithm for intraoperative glucose control in noncardiac surgery: a randomized controlled trialBasem Abdelmalak
Department of General Anesthesiology E31, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Can J Anaesth 58:606-16. 2011..We therefore report the validation of the DeLit Trial insulin infusion algorithm...
- GlideScope® vs flexible fibreoptic scope for elective intubation in obese patientsB B Abdelmalak
Department of General Anesthesiology and Outcomes Researcht, Huron Hospital, Cleveland Clinic Health System, Cleveland, OH, USA
Anaesthesia 66:550-5. 2011..For experienced users, the time required to intubate the trachea in anaesthetised obese patients is similar with the GlideScope and a flexible bronchoscope...
- The prevalence of undiagnosed diabetes in non-cardiac surgery patients, an observational studyBasem Abdelmalak
Department of General Anesthesiology, Anesthesiology Institute, Cleveland Clinic, OH 44195, USA
Can J Anaesth 57:1058-64. 2010....
- Dexmedetomidine for anesthetic management of anterior mediastinal massBasem Abdelmalak
Section of Anesthesia for Bronchoscopic Surgery, Department of General Anesthesiology, Anesthesiology Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Anesth 24:607-10. 2010..Maintaining spontaneous ventilation with dexmedetomidine as almost the sole anesthetic could be very advantageous and may reduce the risk of complete airway obstruction in the anesthetic management of AMMs...
- Dexmedetomidine supplemented with local anesthesia for awake laryngoplastyBasem Abdelmalak
Departments of General Anesthesiology and Outcomes Research, Anesthesiology Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Clin Anesth 21:442-3. 2009..Dexmedetomidine as a single agent for sedation and anxiolysis for awake laryngoplasty in a patient with unilateral vocal fold paralysis is presented...
- Dexmedetomidine as sole sedative for awake intubation in management of the critical airwayBasem Abdelmalak
Department of General Anesthesiology, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Clin Anesth 19:370-3. 2007..Dexmedetomidine appears to be a useful agent for sedation during awake fiberoptic intubation in difficult airway patients...
- Respiratory arrest after successful neodymium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser treatment of subglottic tracheal stenosisBasem Abdelmalak
Department of General Anesthesiology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Anesth Analg 95:485-6, table of contents. 2002..Respiratory arrest was caused, presumably, by airway narrowing due to delayed tissue edema secondary to thermal injury by deep penetration of the laser beam...
- Anesthesia and airway management for removing pulmonary self-expanding metallic stentsD John Doyle
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, Department of General Anesthesiology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Clin Anesth 21:529-32. 2009....
- Design and Organization of the Dexamethasone, Light Anesthesia and Tight Glucose Control (DeLiT) Trial: a factorial trial evaluating the effects of corticosteroids, glucose control, and depth-of-anesthesia on perioperative inflammation and morbidity from Basem Abdelmalak
Department of Outcomes Research, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
BMC Anesthesiol 10:11. 2010..We are studying three interventions that potentially modulate perioperative inflammation: corticosteroids, tight glucose control, and light anesthesia...
- Upper extremity arteriovenous fistula does not affect pulse oximetry readingsRafi Avitsian
Department of General Anaesthesiology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Nephrology (Carlton) 11:410-2. 2006..The authors conducted a prospective case-control study to measure changes in these parameters in the upper extremity of patients who have had an AVF...