Affiliation: City University of New York
- Making the connections: community capacity for tobacco control in an urban African American communityCheryl Merzel
Lehman College and The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Gillet Hall Room 431, 250 Bedford Park Boulevard West, Bronx, NY 10468 1589, USA
Am J Community Psychol 41:74-88. 2008..Findings indicate that the community is viewed as rich in human and social resources. A strong sense of community identity and connectedness underlies this reserve and serves as a catalyst for action...
- Adherence to antiretroviral therapy among older children and adolescents with HIV: a qualitative study of psychosocial contextsCheryl Merzel
Lehman College and The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Bronx, New York 10468 1589, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 22:977-87. 2008..The study illustrates the interplay of maturational issues with other contextual psychosocial factors as influences on adherence among older children and adolescents...
- Identifying women at-risk for smoking resumption after pregnancyCheryl Merzel
Lehman College and The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, New York, USA
Matern Child Health J 14:600-11. 2010..Former smokers should be included in prenatal and postnatal tobacco education and counseling services...
- Translating public health knowledge into practice: development of a lay health advisor perinatal tobacco cessation programKevin C English
Department of Sociomedical Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 16:E9-E19. 2010....
- Access to health services in an urban community: does source of care make a difference?Cheryl Merzel
Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, Department of Sociomedical Sciences, Harlem Health Promotion Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Urban Health 79:186-99. 2002..Socioeconomic factors remain important influences on gaining entry into the health care system...
- Using the interactive systems framework to support a quality improvement approach to dissemination of evidence-based strategies to promote early detection of breast cancer: planning a comprehensive dynamic trialBruce D Rapkin
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 3300 Kossuth Avenue, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
Am J Community Psychol 50:497-517. 2012..Results will inform on-going policy debate about interventions needed to promote population-level screening. More generally, this project is intended to advance understanding of research paradigms necessary to study dissemination...
- Effect of an STD/HIV behavioral intervention on women's use of the female condomNancy Van Devanter
Division of Sociomedical Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, 600 W 168th St, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Public Health 92:109-15. 2002..This study assessed the effectiveness of a sexually transmitted disease (STD)/HIV behavior change intervention in increasing women's use of the female condom...
- Reconsidering community-based health promotion: promise, performance, and potentialCheryl Merzel
Center for Applied Public Health, Department of Sociomedical Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Public Health 93:557-74. 2003..The effectiveness of HIV programs appears to be related in part to extensive formative research and an emphasis on changing social norms...
- Developing and sustaining community-academic partnerships: lessons from Downstate New York Healthy StartCheryl Merzel
Department of Sociomedical Sciences, Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, New York, New York 10032, USA
Health Promot Pract 8:375-83. 2007..The project demonstrates the potential of employing community-academic partnerships as a valuable mechanism for implementing community-based health promotion programs...