Adam N Mamelak
Affiliation: City of Hope National Medical Center
- Choriocarcinoma brain metastasis in a patient with viable intrauterine pregnancy. Case reportAdam N Mamelak
Department of Neurosurgery, Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena, California, USA
J Neurosurg 97:477-81. 2002..Coordinated multidisciplinary treatment of mother and fetus by members of the neurosurgery, medical oncology, neonatology, and obstetrics services facilitated a good outcome in this case...
- Magnetoencephalography-directed surgery in patients with neocortical epilepsyAdam N Mamelak
Huntington Medical Research Institutes, Pasadena California, USA
J Neurosurg 97:865-73. 2002..To help elucidate the value of MEG, the authors have critically reviewed their experience with whole-head MEG in the case management of patients undergoing epilepsy surgery...
- Human memory strength is predicted by theta-frequency phase-locking of single neuronsUeli Rutishauser
Computation and Neural Systems and Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California 91125, USA
Nature 464:903-7. 2010..These findings provide a link between the known modulation of theta oscillations by many memory-modulating behaviours and circuit mechanisms of plasticity...
- Activity of human hippocampal and amygdala neurons during retrieval of declarative memoriesUeli Rutishauser
Computation and Neural Systems, Division of Biology and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:329-34. 2008..We thus conclude that human MTL neurons contain information about both components of memory. These data support a continuous strength of memory model of MTL function: the stronger the neuronal response, the better the memory...
- Infratentorial supracerebellar resection of a pineal tumor using a high definition video exoscope (VITOM®)Adam N Mamelak
Department of Neurosurgery, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, 8700 Beverly Boulevard, Suite 8003, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
J Clin Neurosci 19:306-9. 2012....
- Single-neuron correlates of atypical face processing in autismUeli Rutishauser
Department of Neurosurgery, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA Department of Neurology, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA Computation and Neural Systems Program, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA Electronic address
Neuron 80:887-99. 2013....
- Statistical parameters of epileptiform brain activity differentiate frontal and temporal lobe patientsWarren S Merrifield
Huntington Medical Research Institutes, MEG Laboratory, 10 Pico Street, Pasadena, CA 91105, USA
Epilepsy Res 74:74-8. 2007..Frontal lobe patients had a larger spatial distribution of interictal spikes when compared to temporal lobe patients. Statistical properties from interictal spike data may differentiate patients with frontal and temporal lobe epilepsy...
- Lack of association of cytomegalovirus with human brain tumorsSean K Lau
Department of Pathology, City of Hope National Medical Center, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Mod Pathol 18:838-43. 2005..None of the carcinomas or sarcomas evaluated were positive for CMV by immunohistochemistry, in situ hybridization, or PCR. The findings of the present study suggest that CMV is not significantly associated with brain tumors in humans...
- Representation of retrieval confidence by single neurons in the human medial temporal lobeUeli Rutishauser
1 Department of Neurosurgery, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA 2 Department of Neurology, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA 3 Department of Biomedical Sciences, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA 4 Computation and Neural Systems Program, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, USA 5 Division of Biology and Biological Engineering, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, USA
Nat Neurosci 18:1041-50. 2015..Together, our results indicate a trial-by-trial relationship between a specific group of neurons and declared memory strength in humans. We suggest that VS and MS neurons are a substrate for declarative memories. ..
- Initial clinical experience with a high-definition exoscope system for microneurosurgeryAdam N Mamelak
Department of Neurosurgery, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
Neurosurgery 67:476-83. 2010..Advances in rigid-lens telescope systems provide an alternative method for magnification and illumination that may replace or supplement the operating microscope...
- Fluorescence lifetime spectroscopy for guided therapy of brain tumorsPramod V Butte
Department of Neurosurgery, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Neuroimage 54:S125-35. 2011....
- Single-surgeon fully endoscopic endonasal transsphenoidal surgery: outcomes in three-hundred consecutive casesAdam N Mamelak
Department of Neurosurgery, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, 8631 W Third St, Ste 800E, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Pituitary 16:393-401. 2013..Endoscopic outcomes appear to be better than those reported in microscope-based series, regardless of a one or two surgeon technique...
- Expanded endonasal approach for the clipping of a ruptured basilar aneurysm and feeding artery to a cerebellar arteriovenous malformationDoniel Drazin
Department of Neurosurgery, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, 8631 West Third Street, Suit 800E, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
J Clin Neurosci 19:144-8. 2012..Endoscopic transclival approaches should be considered in the management of complex basilar trunk aneurysms...
- Single-trial learning of novel stimuli by individual neurons of the human hippocampus-amygdala complexUeli Rutishauser
Computation and Neural Systems, Division of Biology and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California 91125, USA
Neuron 49:805-13. 2006..The neurons retain memory for the stimulus for 24 hr. Thus, neurons in the MTL contain information sufficient for reliable novelty-familiarity discrimination and also show rapid plasticity as a result of single-trial learning...
- Targeted delivery of antitumoral therapy to glioma and other malignancies with synthetic chlorotoxin (TM-601)Adam N Mamelak
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Maxine Dunitz Neurosurgical Institute, Department of Neurosurgery, Los Angeles, CA8631 W Third Street, Suite 800E, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Expert Opin Drug Deliv 4:175-86. 2007..Due to its small size, selective tumor binding properties, minimal toxicity and relative ease of manipulation, CTX represents a potentially important targeting agent for many cancers...
- Complications of epilepsy surgery in the first 8 years after neurosurgical trainingA Chris Heller
Epilepsy and Brain Mapping Program, Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena, CA 91105, USA
Surg Neurol 71:631-7, discussion 637. 2009..As elective surgery, however, there is little tolerance for complications. We have reviewed the early operative experience of a single epilepsy surgeon to identify the presence or absence of a surgical learning curve...
- Locoregional therapies for gliomaAdam N Mamelak
Department of General and Oncological Surgery, City of Hope Cancer Center Duarte, California, USA
Oncology (Williston Park) 19:1803-10; discussion 1810, 1816-7, 1821-2. 2005..This paper will review the current state of the art of available locoregional therapies for glioma, with a particular focus on convection-enhanced delivery, targeted toxin, and other biologic strategies...
- Spatial selectivity in human ventrolateral prefrontal cortexDaniel S Rizzuto
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, 1200 East California Blvd, Pasadena, California 91125, USA
Nat Neurosci 8:415-7. 2005..Our results also indicate that prefrontal cortex may be a source of control signals for neuroprosthetic applications...
- Online detection and sorting of extracellularly recorded action potentials in human medial temporal lobe recordings, in vivoUeli Rutishauser
Computation and Neural Systems, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, 91125, USA
J Neurosci Methods 154:204-24. 2006..This method will allow the development of "closed-loop" experiments, which immediately adapt the experimental stimuli and/or tasks to the neural response observed...
- Imaging glioma extent with 131I-TM-601David C Hockaday
Neurosurgery Section, Department of General and Oncological Surgery, City of Hope Cancer Center, Duarte, California 91010, USA
J Nucl Med 46:580-6. 2005..We evaluated imaging and biodistribution data from this trial to assess whether 131I-TM-601 might be useful in determining tumor extent...
- Phase I single-dose study of intracavitary-administered iodine-131-TM-601 in adults with recurrent high-grade gliomaAdam N Mamelak
Maxine Dunitz Neurosurgical Institute, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:3644-50. 2006..We evaluated the safety, biodistribution, and dosimetry of intracavitary-administered 131I-TM-601 in patients with recurrent glioma...
- Novel method for visualizing and modeling the spatial distribution of neural stem cells within intracranial gliomaDavid Lin
Division of Hematology and Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation, City of Hope National Medical Center and Beckman Research Institute, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Neuroimage 37:S18-26. 2007..We estimate that NSC-mediated therapy would eradicate 70-90% of the primary tumor mass and the majority of invasive tumor foci. Our method may serve as a model for optimizing the efficacy of NSC-based glioma therapy...
- Humans with hippocampus damage display severe spatial memory impairments in a virtual Morris water taskRobert S Astur
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Yale University, P O Box 208042, 330 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06520 8042, USA
Behav Brain Res 132:77-84. 2002..Hence, it is apparent across species and irrespective of which hemisphere is damaged that the human HPC is critical for spatial/relational memory...