Affiliation: City University of New York
- Seroprevalence of Epstein-Barr virus infection in U.S. children ages 6-19, 2003-2010Jennifer Beam Dowd
Epidemiology and Biostatistics, CUNY School of Public Health at Hunter College, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e64921. 2013..There are no national estimates of EBV seroprevalence in the United States. Our objective was to estimate the overall prevalence and sociodemographic predictors of EBV among U.S. children and adolescents aged 6-19...
- Cytomegalovirus is associated with reduced telomerase activity in the Whitehall II cohortJennifer B Dowd
Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Hunter College, CUNY School of Public Health, 2180 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10035, USA
Exp Gerontol 48:385-90. 2013..The results demonstrate that CMV seropositivity and subclinical reactivation predict lower TA. Future longitudinal studies should test whether the association of CMV with lower TA contributes to accelerated telomere shortening over time...
- Consistency and precision of cancer reporting in a multiwave national panel surveyAnna Zajacova
Department of Sociology, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY, USA
Popul Health Metr 8:20. 2010..abstract:..
- Sleep duration, sleep quality, and biomarkers of inflammation in a Taiwanese populationJennifer Beam Dowd
CUNY School of Public Health, Hunter College, City University of New York, USA
Ann Epidemiol 21:799-806. 2011..Short and long sleep duration and sleep quality are associated with health including all-cause mortality, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and obesity. Inflammation may play a role in mediating these associations...
- Does self-reported health bias the measurement of health inequalities in U.S. adults? Evidence using anchoring vignettes from the Health and Retirement StudyJennifer Beam Dowd
School of Public Health, Hunter College, City University of New York CUNY, NY 10010, USA
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 66:478-89. 2011..We use anchoring vignettes to test and adjust for reporting differences by education, race/ethnicity, and gender in self-reported health in 6 domains (pain, sleep, mobility, memory, shortness of breath, and depression)...
- Cytomegalovirus antibodies in dried blood spots: a minimally invasive method for assessing stress, immune function, and agingJennifer B Dowd
Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Hunter College, CUNY School of Public Health, 425 E, 25th St, New York, NY 10010, USA
Immun Ageing 8:3. 2011..abstract:..
- Deeper and wider: income and mortality in the USA over three decadesJennifer B Dowd
Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Hunter College, City University of New York, CUNY School of Public Health, New York, NY 10010, USA
Int J Epidemiol 40:183-8. 2011..The goal of the current study was to estimate and compare the shape of the relationship between income and mortality in the USA for the 1970s, the 1980s and the 1990s...
- Predictors of inflammation in U.S. children aged 3-16 yearsJennifer Beam Dowd
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Hunter College, School of Public Health, City University of New York, New York, New York 10010, USA
Am J Prev Med 39:314-20. 2010..Little is known about the correlates of low-grade inflammation in U.S. children...
- Does self-rated health mean the same thing across socioeconomic groups? Evidence from biomarker dataJennifer Beam Dowd
Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Hunter College, City University of New York, NY 10010, USA
Ann Epidemiol 20:743-9. 2010..We test whether levels of biological risk differ by SES for those with the same SRH...
- Education and levels of salivary cortisol over the day in US adultsJennifer B Dowd
School of Public Health, Hunter College, City University of New York CUNY, 425 E 25th St Box 926, New York, NY, 10010, USA
Ann Behav Med 41:13-20. 2011..Dysregulation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis is hypothesized to be an important pathway linking socioeconomic position and chronic disease...
- Socio-economic status, cortisol and allostatic load: a review of the literatureJennifer B Dowd
School of Health Sciences, Hunter College, City University of New York, New York, NY 10010, USA
Int J Epidemiol 38:1297-309. 2009..This article reviews the literature testing associations between SES and cortisol, an important biomarker of stress, as well as the summary index of allostatic load (AL)...
- Early origins of health disparities: burden of infection, health, and socioeconomic status in U.S. childrenJennifer Beam Dowd
Hunter College, School of Health Sciences, and CUNY Institute for Demographic Research, 425 E 25th St, New York, NY 10010, USA
Soc Sci Med 68:699-707. 2009..Differential exposure and/or susceptibility to infections may be one mechanism through which early social factors get embodied and shape later-life health outcomes...
- Discovering how environmental exposures alter genes could lead to new treatments for chronic illnessesKenneth Olden
City University of New York School of Public Health at Hunter College, in New York City, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 30:833-41. 2011..This initiative could lead to new ways to prevent and treat such illnesses...
- Did national folic acid fortification reduce socioeconomic and racial disparities in folate status in the US?Jennifer Beam Dowd
Center for Social Epidemiology and Population Health, Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
Int J Epidemiol 37:1059-66. 2008..The purpose of this study is to determine the impact of the 1998 US Food and Drug Administration folic acid fortification policy on disparities in folate status in the United States...
- Socioeconomic differentials in immune responseJennifer Beam Dowd
Hunter College, School of Health Sciences, City University of New York CUNY, New York, NY, USA
Epidemiology 20:902-8. 2009..Here we test whether SES is related to cell-mediated immunity, as measured by the host's ability to keep persistent cytomegalovirus (CMV) antibody levels in a quiescent state...
- Under the Skin: Understanding the Role of Stress and Immune Function in Health DiJENNIFER DOWD; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will test whether these immune and infection markers are related to psychosocial and economic stressors and whether they mediate the relationship between SES and health outcomes including mortality. ..