Fong Fong Chu
Affiliation: City of Hope National Medical Center
- Bacteria-induced intestinal cancer in mice with disrupted Gpx1 and Gpx2 genesFong Fong Chu
Department of Medical Oncology and Therapeutics Research, City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center, Duarte, California, USA
Cancer Res 64:962-8. 2004..The sensitivity exhibited in these mice suggests that peroxidative stress plays an important role in ileal and colonic pathology and inflammation, which can lead to tumorigenesis...
- Role of Se-dependent glutathione peroxidases in gastrointestinal inflammation and cancerFong Fong Chu
Department of Medical Oncology and Therapeutics Research, Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope, Duarte, CA 91010 3000, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 36:1481-95. 2004..This review summarizes the current view of GPX in inflammation and cancer with emphasis on the GI tract...
- Expression of lactoperoxidase in differentiated mouse colon epithelial cellsByung Wook Kim
Department of Cancer Biology, Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 52:1569-76. 2012..Also, Lpo DNA methylation is not correlated with gene expression...
- Microflora trigger colitis in mice deficient in selenium-dependent glutathione peroxidase and induce Gpx2 gene expressionR Steven Esworthy
Department of Medical Oncology and Experimental Therapeutics, City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Biol Chem 384:597-607. 2003..Our results suggest that ileal Gpx2 mRNA and GPX-2 activity levels are induced by luminal microflora. This response is consistent with a role for GPX as an anti-inflammatory activity...
- Colitis locus on chromosome 2 impacting the severity of early-onset disease in mice deficient in GPX1 and GPX2R Steven Esworthy
Department of Cancer Biology, Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope, Duarte, California, USA
Inflamm Bowel Dis 17:1373-86. 2011..The DKO mice on a B6 background have mild ileocolitis. We characterized the 129 DKO mice to identify a genetic locus affecting disease severity...
- Atherogenic diets exacerbate colitis in mice deficient in glutathione peroxidaseQiang Gao
Department of Radiation Biology, Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope, Duarte, California, USA
Inflamm Bowel Dis 16:2043-54. 2010..GPx1/2-double-knockout (DKO) mice deficient in 2 intracellular glutathione peroxidases, GPx1 and GPx2, on a C57BL/6 (B6) background, have mild ileocolitis on a conventional chow...
- Mutation accumulation in the intestine and colon of mice deficient in two intracellular glutathione peroxidasesDong Hyun Lee
Department of Biology and Department of Radiation Biology, City of Hope Cancer Center, Duarte, California 91010, USA
Cancer Res 66:9845-51. 2006..0% versus 40.1%; P < 0.001). Our results suggest that inflammation drives gene mutations, which leads to neoplastic transformation of intestinal epithelium in the B6.129 Gpx1/2-DKO mice but rarely in the B6 Gpx1/2-DKO mice...
- Analysis of candidate colitis genes in the Gdac1 locus of mice deficient in glutathione peroxidase-1 and -2R Steven Esworthy
Department of Radiation Biology, Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope, Duarte, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e44262. 2012..The aim of this study was to identify the best gene candidates within the Gdac1 locus contributing to the murine colitis phenotype...
- Epithelium-specific glutathione peroxidase, Gpx2, is involved in the prevention of intestinal inflammation in selenium-deficient miceR Steven Esworthy
Department of Medical Oncology and Therapeutics Research, City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center, Duarte, CA 91010 3000, USA
J Nutr 135:740-5. 2005..The results show that a trace amount of Gpx2 is protective against ileocolitis, and Se-deficient young Gpx1(+/-)Gpx2(-/-) mice will develop pathology and symptoms similar to Se-adequate Gpx1(-/-)Gpx2(-/-) mice...
- Methylation of polycomb target genes in intestinal cancer is mediated by inflammationMaria A Hahn
Division of Biology, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, Duarte, California 91010, USA
Cancer Res 68:10280-9. 2008..In summary, inflammation creates a signature of aberrant DNA methylation, which is observed later in the malignant tissue and is directed by the PcG complex...
- The Gdac1 locus modifies spontaneous and Salmonella-induced colitis in mice deficient in either Gpx2 or Gpx1 geneR Steven Esworthy
Department of Radiation Biology, Beckman Research Institute, City of Hope, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 65:1273-83. 2013..We conclude that the Gdac1 locus affects both spontaneous and S. Tm-induced colitis in 129 non-DKO mice, although in opposite directions. ..
- Nox1 causes ileocolitis in mice deficient in glutathione peroxidase-1 and -2Robert S Esworthy
Department of Radiation Biology and Beckman Research Institute, City of Hope, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 68:315-25. 2014..The milder disease in female het-TKO intestine is probably due to random or imprinted X-chromosome inactivation, which produces mosaic Nox1 expression. ..
- Inactivation of glutathione peroxidase activity contributes to UV-induced squamous cell carcinoma formationJennifer Walshe
Epithelial Pathobiology Group, Cancer Biology Programme, Diamantina Institute for Cancer, Immunology and Metabolic Medicine, University of Queensland, Queensland, Australia
Cancer Res 67:4751-8. 2007..These studies showed that Gpx2 deficiency predisposed mice to UV-induced CSCC formation. These results suggest that inactivation of GPX2 in human skin may be an early event in UV-induced SCC formation...
- Novel enrichment of tumor cell transfectants expressing high levels of type 4 glutathione peroxidase using 7alpha-hydroperoxycholesterol as a selection agentTamas Kriska
Department of Biochemistry, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 45:700-7. 2008..This approach should prove valuable for investigators interested in the peroxide regulatory properties of GPx4, in the context of both cytoprotection and redox signaling...
- The mechanism for Se-afforded protection against athero*Fong Fong Chu; Fiscal Year: 2002..The investigators will generate GpxS-knockout mice deficient in the plasma GPX isozyme, GPX-P, to study this activity as they have done for Gpx2-knockout mice. ..
- The role of glutathione peroxidase in the chemopreventi*Fong Fong Chu; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- The role of glutathione peroxidase in the pathogenesis of intestinal cancerFong Fong Chu; Fiscal Year: 2010..About a million Americans suffer IBD, and have higher risks for cancer. Study of this novel mouse IBD model may provide new information on the etiology and treatment of IBD and IBD-related cancer. ..