Ganesaratnam K Balendiran
Affiliation: City of Hope National Medical Center
- Fibrates inhibit aldose reductase activity in the forward and reverse reactionsGanesaratnam K Balendiran
Division of Immunology, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope National Medical Center, 1450 E Duarte Road, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 70:1653-63. 2005..Alternatively, these findings demonstrate that AR plays a significant role in the fibrate metabolism under various scenarios...
- The role of glutathione in cancerGanesaratnam K Balendiran
Division of Immunology, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, 1450 East Duarte Road, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Cell Biochem Funct 22:343-52. 2004..Here we present a number of studies investigating the role of glutathione in promoting cancer, impeding chemotherapy, and the use of glutathione modulation to enhance anti-neoplastic therapy...
- Inhibiting wild-type and C299S mutant AKR1B10; a homologue of aldose reductase upregulated in cancersMalkhey Verma
Division of Immunology, Beckman Research Institute, City of Hope National Medical Center, 1450 E Duarte Road, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 584:213-21. 2008..The reaction of the mutant AKR1B10 is inhibited by fenofibric acid, but manifests pure non-competitive inhibition kinetics that are different from those demonstrated for the wild-type enzyme...
- WY 14,643 inhibits human aldose reductase activitySara Klemin
Division of Immunology, Beckman Research Institute and City of Hope National Medical Center, 1450 E Duarte Road, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem 21:569-73. 2006..In addition, this observation indicates that AR, AR-like proteins and aldo-keto reductase (AKR) members may be involved in the WY 14,643 mechanism of action when it is administered as PPAR agonist...
- High-resolution crystal structure of AKR11C1 from Bacillus halodurans: an NADPH-dependent 4-hydroxy-2,3-trans-nonenal reductaseTobias Marquardt
Biomolecular Research, Paul Scherrer Institut, 5232 Villigen, Switzerland
J Mol Biol 354:304-16. 2005..We suggest that AKR11C1 is the first structurally characterized member of a new class of AKRs with specificity for substrates with long aliphatic tails...
- Crystal structure of the restriction-modification system control element C.Bcll and mapping of its binding siteMichael R Sawaya
UCLA DOE Laboratory of Structural Biology and Molecular Medicine, 205 Boyer Hall, Box 951570, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Structure 13:1837-47. 2005..The C.Bcll-DNA model proposed suggests that DNA bending might play an important role in gene regulation, and that Glu27 and Asp31 in C.Bcll might function critically in the regulation...