Genomes and Genes
Satoshi H Namekawa
Affiliation: Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
- Detection of nascent RNA, single-copy DNA and protein localization by immunoFISH in mouse germ cells and preimplantation embryosSatoshi H Namekawa
Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Protoc 6:270-84. 2011..This procedure (sample preparation and staining) requires 1-1.5 d to complete and will facilitate detailed examination of spatial relationships between chromatin epitopes, DNA and RNA during the dynamic transition from gamete to embryo...
- Telomeric RNAs mark sex chromosomes in stem cellsLi Feng Zhang
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114 and Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114
Genetics 182:685-98. 2009..Furthermore, RNA accumulation increases in Dicer-deficient stem cells, suggesting direct or indirect links to RNAi. We propose that telomeric RNAs are tied to cell differentiation and may be used to mark pluripotency and disease...
- Two-step imprinted X inactivation: repeat versus genic silencing in the mouseSatoshi H Namekawa
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Mol Cell Biol 30:3187-205. 2010..Our model incorporates aspects of the so-called classical, de novo, and preinactivation hypotheses and suggests that Xist RNA functions relatively late during preimplantation mouse development...
- X-inactivation and X-reactivation: epigenetic hallmarks of mammalian reproduction and pluripotent stem cellsBernhard Payer
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Hum Genet 130:265-80. 2011..Here we summarize recent progress in the study of X-inactivation and X-reactivation during mammalian reproduction and development as well as in pluripotent stem cells...
- Sex chromosome silencing in the marsupial male germ lineSatoshi H Namekawa
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:9730-5. 2007..These results reveal a common gametogenic program in two diverse clades of mammals and support the idea that male germ-line silencing may have provided an ancestral form of mammalian dosage compensation...
- Postmeiotic sex chromatin in the male germline of miceSatoshi H Namekawa
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, 02114, USA
Curr Biol 16:660-7. 2006..We conclude that chromosome-wide X silencing continues from meiosis to the end of spermiogenesis, and we discuss implications for proposed mechanisms of imprinted X-inactivation...