Fernando E Viteri
Affiliation: Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute
- Weekly iron as a safe alternative to daily supplementation for nonanemic pregnant womenEsther Casanueva
Instituto Nacional de Perinatología Isidro Espinosa de los Reyes INPer, Mexico, D F, Mexico
Arch Med Res 37:674-82. 2006..We undertook this study to compare the effectiveness and safety of antenatal daily and weekly supplementation with iron, folic acid, and vitamin B(12) in healthy, pregnant women who were not anemic at gestational week 20...
- Antenatal iron supplements consumed daily produce oxidative stress in contrast to weekly supplementation in Mexican non-anemic womenFernando E Viteri
Department of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology, University of California at Berkeley, USA
Reprod Toxicol 34:125-32. 2012..Weekly supplementation with 120mg iron plus various amounts of folic acid similarly prevents significant anemia...
- INCAP studies of hematologic and gastrointestinal function in healthy individuals and those with protein-energy malnutrition and infectionFernando E Viteri
Department of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Food Nutr Bull 31:130-40. 2010..Environmental hygiene in populations reversed gut bacterial migration and improved GI function...
- INCAP studies of energy, amino acids, and proteinFernando E Viteri
Department of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology, University of California, Berkeley, USA
Food Nutr Bull 31:42-53. 2010..In rural adult populations the relationship between energy and protein intake, productivity and body composition, and the impact of environmental hygiene on nitrogen balance was demonstrated and measured...
- Importance of pre-pregnancy and pregnancy iron status: can long-term weekly preventive iron and folic acid supplementation achieve desirable and safe status?Fernando E Viteri
University of California at Berkeley, USA
Nutr Rev 63:S65-76. 2005....
- Why and how to use radioisotopes in human nutrition researchFernando E Viteri
University of California, Berkeley 94720 3104, USA
Forum Nutr 56:307-9. 2003..Examples on the use of radio and stable isotopes to study iron and zinc absorptions are given including the radiation exposure and risk calculations...
- Iron endowment at birth: maternal iron status and other influencesFernando E Viteri
Department of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology, University of California, Berkeley and Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, California 94609, USA
Nutr Rev 69:S3-16. 2011..In addition, neonatal health, particularly early in pregnancy, is briefly addressed, as are some important aspects of antenatal nutritional interventions that include iron...
- Iron and zinc absorption from two bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) genotypes in young womenCarmen M Donangelo
Western Human Nutrition Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, 1 Shields Avenue, 1155 Surge 4, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
J Agric Food Chem 51:5137-43. 2003..Selective breeding for high-zinc bean genotypes may improve zinc status. However, high-iron genotypes appear to have little effect on iron status when fed alone in single meals to women with low iron reserves...
- Considerations on the use of radioisotopes in human nutrition researchFernando E Viteri
Department of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, Calif, USA
Food Nutr Bull 23:7-16. 2002..Examples on the use of radio and stable isotopes to study iron and zinc absorptions are given including the radiation exposure and risk calculations...
- Adverse outcomes of poor micronutrient status in childhood and adolescenceFernando E Viteri
Department of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology, University of California at Berkeley, 94720, USA
Nutr Rev 60:S77-83. 2002..The results presented include responses to specific and multiple "experimental" interventions. A brief analysis of possible public health programs is presented, with emphasis on prevention...
- Nutrition and immunological status in long-term follow up of children with short bowel syndromeHoracio F González
Instituto de Desarrollo e Investigaciones Pediátricas, Hospital de Niños Sor María Ludovica, Calle 16 No 1069 1900, La Plata, Argentina
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 29:186-91. 2005..Subtle nutrition deficits could induce subclinical immune deficiencies; therefore, we studied long-term growth, nutrition status, and the state of the immune system in 10 patients with SBS after weaning PN for at least 2 years...
- Iron and oxidative stress in pregnancyEsther Casanueva
, Mexico, DF, Mexico
J Nutr 133:1700S-1708S. 2003..These risks are not observed in women supplemented with 120 mg iron once or twice per week. Studies on the influence of iron supplementation schemes on oxidative stress are needed...
- [Iron deficiency and anemia in pregnant women from Chaco, Argentina]María Del Carmen Morasso
Ministerio de Salud del Chaco, Republica Argentina
Arch Latinoam Nutr 52:336-43. 2002....
- Daily supplementation with iron increases lipid peroxidation in young women with low iron storesSarah M King
Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, 5700 Martin Luther King Jr Way, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 233:701-7. 2008..The increased indicators of lipid peroxidation with duration of supplementation and as iron status improved suggest that providing daily nearly 100 mg iron may not be a totally innocuous regimen for correcting iron depletion in women...
- Intermittent iron supplementation regimens are able to maintain safe maternal hemoglobin concentrations during pregnancy in VenezuelaJuan P Pena-Rosas
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA
J Nutr 134:1099-104. 2004..Intermittent iron and folic acid supplementation may be a valid strategy when used as a preventive intervention in prenatal care settings...
- Supplemental zinc lowers measures of iron status in young women with low iron reservesCarmen M Donangelo
, , Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Nutr 132:1860-4. 2002..However, use of a modest zinc supplement improves zinc indices, but also appears to induce a cellular iron deficiency and, possibly, further reduce iron status...
- [Iron and vitamin A deficiencies and prevalence of anemia in boys and girls between 6 to 24 months of age in Chaco, Argentina]María Del Carmen Morasso
Ministerio de Salud del Chaco, Republica Argentina
Arch Latinoam Nutr 53:21-7. 2003....