Felix A Okah
Affiliation: Children's Mercy Hospital
- Perceptions of a strategy to prevent and relieve care provider distress in the neonatal intensive care unitFelix A Okah
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
Am J Perinatol 29:687-92. 2012....
- Ponderal index of the newborn: effect of smoking on the index of the small-for-gestational-age infantFelix A Okah
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, Kansas City, Missouri 64108, USA
Am J Perinatol 27:353-60. 2010..There is a need to use PI in exploring and defining previously observed associations between SGA and adult-onset obesity/metabolic syndrome...
- The autopsy: experience of a regional neonatal intensive care unitFelix A Okah
University of Kansas School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Kansas City, Kansas, USA
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 16:350-4. 2002..Physicians need to seek autopsy more conscientiously, with consideration for the emotional well-being of the family, and for its potential diagnostic and research value to science...
- Predicting adoption of home smoking restriction by inner-city black smokersFelix A Okah
Departments of Pediatrics, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City 64108, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 157:1202-5. 2003..To identify predictors of future adoption of home smoking restriction (HSR), given that 40% of inner-city smokers report current HSR...
- Risk factors for recurrent small-for-gestational-age birthFelix A Okah
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics University of Missouri, Kansas City School of Medicine, Kansas City, Missouri 64108, USA
Am J Perinatol 27:1-7. 2010..R-SGA is potentially preventable because of its association with potentially modifiable factors such as smoking and weight gain in pregnancy...
- Term-gestation low birth weight and health-compromising behaviors during pregnancyFelix A Okah
Children s Mercy Hospital and Clinics, University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine, Kansas City, Missouri 64108, USA
Obstet Gynecol 105:543-50. 2005..To estimate the association between term-gestation low birth weight (term-LBW) rates and increasing numbers of health-compromising behaviors during pregnancy...
- Are fewer women smoking during pregnancy?Felix A Okah
Children s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, University of Missouri, Kansas City School of Medicine, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
Am J Health Behav 29:456-61. 2005..To determine whether pregnancy-smoking rates have changed in last decade...
- The effect of health compromising behaviors on preterm birthsPaul C Dew
Department of Preventive Medicine, Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, 1750 Independence Ave, Kansas City, Missouri 64106, USA
Matern Child Health J 11:227-33. 2007....
- Role of mental illness in drug use by urban pregnant heavy smokersFelix A Okah
Section of Neonatal Perinatal Medicine, Children s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, Missouri 64108, USA
Am J Perinatol 21:299-304. 2004..Therefore, in addition to initiating social service intervention, the identification of drug abuse by pregnant smokers should prompt a mental health evaluation...
- Excess Hispanic fetal-infant mortality in a midwestern communityGerald L Hoff
Kansas City Health Department, Office of Epidemiology and Community Health Monitoring, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
Public Health Rep 124:711-7. 2009..We assessed excess fetal-infant mortality for Hispanic, non-Hispanic white, and non-Hispanic black populations in five contiguous counties of Missouri and Kansas...
- Cumulative and residual risks of small for gestational age neonates after changing pregnancy-smoking behaviorsFelix A Okah
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, Missouri 64108, USA
Am J Perinatol 24:191-6. 2007..Therefore, antismoking socialization during pregnancy should focus on preventing and stopping current pregnancy-smoking, irrespective of past behavior...
- Pre-pregnancy overweight status between successive pregnancies and pregnancy outcomesGerald L Hoff
Health Department, Office of Epidemiology and Community Health Monitoring, Kansas City, Missouri 64108 2666, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 18:1413-7. 2009....
- Effect of children on home smoking restriction by inner-city smokersFelix A Okah
University of Kansas Medical Center, Department of Pediatrics, Kansas City, Kansas 66160, USA
Pediatrics 109:244-9. 2002..However, in a national survey, only 12.5% of such homes are actually smoke-free. This study examined factors associated with home smoking restriction among inner-city smokers...
- The comprehensive care rounds: facilitating multidisciplinary communication among caregivers of complex patients in the neonatal intensive care unitVirginia D Boos
Department of Quality and Safety, Children s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, Kansas City, Kansas, USA
Adv Neonatal Care 10:301-6. 2010..The Comprehensive Care Round provides a forum for open communication among team members and builds on the hospital's efforts at systems approach to developing a culture of safety and quality...
- Smoking during pregnancy rates trends in a high smoking prevalence state, 1990-2009Gerald L Hoff
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, St Louis University, 3545 Lafayette Ave, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
South Med J 105:636-44. 2012..To assess the trends for smoking during pregnancy for whites and blacks in Missouri, a state with a high prevalence of smoking, for the period 1990-2009...
- Combining phenobarbital and indomethacin to improve early neonatal outcomes in the extremely low birth weight infantFelix A Okah
Section of Neonatal Perinatal Medicine, Children s Mercy Hospital and Clinics, Kansas City, Missouri 64108, USA
Am J Perinatol 22:11-7. 2005..37; 95% CI, 0.60 to 3.12). In conclusion, combination prophylaxis does not improve SIVH and early neonatal survival outcomes. Early exposure to indomethacin offers some benefits without any added risks...
- Demographic risk factors affecting emergency room visits caused by benzodiazepine poisoning in Kansas City, Missouri, from 2001 to 2007Yifei Liu
Division of Pharmacy Practice and Administration, The University of Missouri, Kansas City, Missouri 64108, USA
Int J Pharm Pract 19:166-70. 2011..The study objective was to identify demographic risk factors associated with emergency room visits caused by benzodiazepine poisoning...
- Changes in smoking behavior between first and second pregnanciesGerald L Hoff
Office of Epidemiology and Community Health Monitoring, Kansas City Health Department, Kansas City MO 64108, USA
Am J Health Behav 31:583-90. 2007..To assess changes in maternal smoking behavior at the second pregnancy...