Affiliation: Children's Hospital and Research Center
- Combined chelation therapy with deferasirox and deferoxamine in thalassemiaAshutosh Lal
Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital and Research Center, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Blood Cells Mol Dis 50:99-104. 2013..03±0.01 μM, p=0.006). The simultaneous administration of DFO and DFX rapidly reduced systemic and myocardial iron, and provided an excellent control of the toxic labile plasma iron species without an increase in toxicity...
- Association of chromosome damage detected as micronuclei with hematological diseases and micronutrient statusAshutosh Lal
Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, 5700 Martin Luther King Jr Way, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Mutagenesis 26:57-62. 2011..Understanding the link between micronutrient status and MN frequency will contribute towards determining optimal micronutrient intake to preserve long-term health...
- Bone mineral density in children with sickle cell anemiaAshutosh Lal
Children s Hospital and Research Center at Oakland, Oakland, California 94609, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 47:901-6. 2006..We evaluated bone mineral density (BMD) and risk factors for poor bone mineralization in children with sickle cell anemia (SCA)...
- Lipoic acid and acetyl-carnitine reverse iron-induced oxidative stress in human fibroblastsAshutosh Lal
Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, California, USA
Redox Rep 13:2-10. 2008..We conclude that LA is highly effective in reversing oxidative stress arising from iron overload and that its antioxidant efficacy is further enhanced in combination with ALCAR...
- Heterogeneity of hemoglobin H disease in childhoodAshutosh Lal
Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital and Research Center Oakland, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
N Engl J Med 364:710-8. 2011..Early diagnosis during newborn screening or infancy has enabled the observation of the natural history of hemoglobin H disease, a subtype of α-thalassemia...
- Measuring chromosome breaks in patients with thalassemiaTal Offer
Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1054:439-44. 2005..Our findings indicate that higher levels of micronuclei frequencies are present in thalassemic RBCs...
- A multicomponent nutrient bar promotes weight loss and improves dyslipidemia and insulin resistance in the overweight/obese: chronic inflammation blunts these improvementsJoyce C McCann
Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, California, USA Children s National Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA and Processed Foods Research Unit, U S Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service Western Regional Research Center, Albany, California, USA
FASEB J 29:3287-301. 2015....
- A nutrient-dense, high-fiber, fruit-based supplement bar increases HDL cholesterol, particularly large HDL, lowers homocysteine, and raises glutathione in a 2-wk trialMichele L Mietus-Snyder
Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, California, 94609, USA
FASEB J 26:3515-27. 2012..These results lay the groundwork for mechanistic/deconstruction experiments to identify critical bar components and putative synergistic combinations responsible for observed effects...
- Clinical assay of four thiol amino acid redox couples by LC-MS/MS: utility in thalassemiaJung H Suh
Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 877:3418-27. 2009..The method was used to assess thiol redox states in plasma and erythrocytes isolated from healthy subjects and thalassemia patients...
- The role of fetal hemoglobin-enhancing agents in thalassemiaAshutosh Lal
Department of Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital and Research Center at Oakland, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Semin Hematol 41:17-22. 2004..The clinical trials of decitabine in thalassemia must carefully evaluate the dose and route of administration, and address concerns about long-term side effects...