Affiliation: Children's Memorial Hospital
- Role of brain inflammation in epileptogenesisJieun Choi
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neurology, Northwestern University Children s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL 2300 Children s Plaza, Box 51, Children s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Yonsei Med J 49:1-18. 2008..We provide an overview of the current knowledge that implicates brain inflammation as a common predisposing factor in epilepsy, particularly childhood epilepsy...
- Environmental enrichment reverses the impaired exploratory behavior and altered gene expression induced by early-life seizuresSookyong Koh
Children s Memorial Hospital, Children s Memorial Research Center, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
J Child Neurol 20:796-802. 2005..Real-time quantitative reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction confirmed our microarray data on select genes. Our results provide an experimental basis for promoting enriching education programs for children with epilepsy...
- Depressive behavior and selective down-regulation of serotonin receptor expression after early-life seizures: reversal by environmental enrichmentSookyong Koh
Pediatrics, Children s Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University Feinburg School of Medicine Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Epilepsy Behav 10:26-31. 2007..Our results suggest that seizures lead to increased susceptibility to depression through transcriptional regulation while environment, in turn, can interact with gene expression to influence the behavioral outcome of epilepsy...
- Cellular injury and neuroinflammation in children with chronic intractable epilepsyJieun Choi
Department of Pediatrics, Northwestern University Children s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL, USA
J Neuroinflammation 6:38. 2009....
- Early-life experience alters response of developing brain to seizuresCassandra Kazl
Department of Neurology, Children s Memorial Hospital, Children s Memorial Research Center, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Brain Res 1285:174-81. 2009....
- Microarray analysis of postictal transcriptional regulation of neuropeptidesDawn N Wilson
Division of Neurology, Children s Memorial Hospital, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
J Mol Neurosci 25:285-98. 2005..Also, suppression of tachykinin and corticotropin-releasing hormone might be effective in alleviating seizure-induced neuronal damage...
- Maturation-dependent behavioral deficits and cell injury in developing animals during the subacute postictal periodLauren M Mlsna
Neurobiology Program, Ann and Robert H Lurie Children s Hospital of Chicago Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Epilepsy Behav 29:190-7. 2013....
- Child Neurology: Dravet syndrome: when to suspect the diagnosisJohn J Millichap
Division of Neurology, Children s Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Neurology 73:e59-62. 2009..Early recognition and diagnosis of DS and management with appropriate anticonvulsants and treatment plan may reduce the seizure burden and improve long-term developmental outcome...
- Glial activation links early-life seizures and long-term neurologic dysfunction: evidence using a small molecule inhibitor of proinflammatory cytokine upregulationKathleen C Somera-Molina
Integrated Graduate Program, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neurology, Center for Drug Discovery and Chemical Biology, Northwestern Univrsity, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Epilepsia 48:1785-800. 2007....
- Temperature-sensitive Cav1.2 calcium channels support intrinsic firing of pyramidal neurons and provide a target for the treatment of febrile seizuresDaniel Radzicki
Department of Physiology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Neurosci 33:9920-31. 2013....
- Minocycline attenuates microglia activation and blocks the long-term epileptogenic effects of early-life seizuresJayne Abraham
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Memorial Hospital, Division of Neurobiology, Children s Memorial Research Center, IL, USA
Neurobiol Dis 46:425-30. 2012..Our results suggest that anti-inflammatory therapy after SE may be useful to block the epileptogenic process and mitigate the long-term damaging effects of early-life seizures...
- Characterization of a commonly used mouse model of SMA reveals increased seizure susceptibility and heightened fear response in FVB/N miceRocky G Gogliotti
Human Molecular Genetics Program, Children s Memorial Hospital Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Neurobiol Dis 43:142-51. 2011..This should be taken into account in pre-clinical studies that utilize this transgene, especially in therapy-treated SMA mice that have extended survival...
- Dravet syndrome (severe myoclonic epilepsy in infancy): a retrospective study of 16 patientsChristian Korff
Epilepsy Center, Children s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois 60614 3394, USA
J Child Neurol 22:185-94. 2007..Despite its reputation for seizure intractability, several treatment options may be particularly helpful, whereas others need to be avoided...
- Susceptibility to seizure-induced injury and acquired microencephaly following intraventricular injection of saporin-conjugated 192 IgG in developing rat brainSookyong Koh
MGH Epilepsy Service, Epilepsy Research Laboratory, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, VBK 830, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Exp Neurol 194:457-66. 2005....
- NBQX or topiramate treatment after perinatal hypoxia-induced seizures prevents later increases in seizure-induced neuronal injurySookyong Koh
Department of Neurology, Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Epilepsia 45:569-75. 2004....
- Are seizures harmful: what can we learn from animal models?Andrew J Cole
Epilepsy Research Laboratory, Massachusetts General Hospital, Department of Neurology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Prog Brain Res 135:13-23. 2002..In the future, we can anticipate that animal models will continue to be useful, especially when whole-animal preparations are used to generate material for detailed in vitro examination...
- Cryptogenic late-onset epileptic spasms or late infantile epileptogenic encephalopathy?Douglas R Nordli
Epilepsia 48:206-8. 2007
- MOLECULAR & CELLULAR CONSEQUENCES OF EARLY LIFE SEIZURESookyong Koh; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract not available ..
- Brain Inflammation in Childhood EpilepsySookyong Koh; Fiscal Year: 2007..Together these Aims are designed to test the central hypothesis that the epileptogenic effect of early life seizures is mediated by brain inflammation. ..