Patrick J Gavin
Affiliation: Children's Memorial Hospital
- Fatal endocarditis in a neonate caused by the dematiaceous fungus Phialemonium obovatum: case report and review of the literaturePatrick J Gavin
Division of Infectious Diseases, Children s Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60614, USA
J Clin Microbiol 40:2207-12. 2002..Thus, the diagnosis and treatment of unusual fungal pathogens present a significant challenge to clinicians and microbiologists alike. Early referral of such isolates to a specialist reference laboratory is advisable...
- Intravenous ribavirin treatment for severe adenovirus disease in immunocompromised childrenPatrick J Gavin
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Pediatrics, Children s Memorial Hospital and Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60614, USA
Pediatrics 110:e9. 2002..The most common adverse effect of intravenous ribavirin is reversible mild anemia. The use of cidofovir in severe adenovirus infection has been limited by adverse effects, the most significant of which is nephrotoxicity...
- Neural larva migrans caused by the raccoon roundworm Baylisascaris procyonisPatrick J Gavin
Children s Memorial Hospital and Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 21:971-5. 2002..procyonis infection live in proximity to humans, which suggests that the risk of human infection is probably substantial. In the absence of effective treatment, prevention of infection remains the most important public health strategy...
- Raccoon roundworm (Baylisascaris procyonis)Patrick J Gavin
Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 22:651-2. 2003
- Microbiologic surveillance using nasal cultures alone is sufficient for detection of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates in neonatesKamaljit Singh
Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Feinberg School of Medicine of Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Clin Microbiol 41:2755-7. 2003..There were no positive umbilical samples...
- Management of outbreaks of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection in the neonatal intensive care unit: a consensus statementSusan I Gerber
Chicago Department of Public Health, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 27:139-45. 2006..To better understand these issues on a regional level, the CDPH and the Evanston Department of Health and Human Services (EDHHS; Evanston, Illinois) began an investigation...
- BaylisascariasisPatrick J Gavin
Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Research, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, Evanston, IL 60201, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 18:703-18. 2005..In the absence of early diagnosis or effective treatment, prevention of infection is the most important public health measure...
- Cerebrospinal fluid cytology in seasonal epidemic West Nile virus meningo-encephalitisAjay Rawal
Department of Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, Evanston, Illinois, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 34:127-9. 2006..Relative lymphocyte proportions increased from a mean of 39 to 48% after 3 days of illness. WNV should be considered as a potential etiology of infectious CSF pleocytosis in the North American late summer and early fall seasons...
- Fulminant fatal toxic shock syndrome with Staphylococcus aureusAmanda L Wilson
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, Evanston, IL 60201, USA
Am J Emerg Med 25:225-6. 2007