Genomes and Genes
- Comprehensive investigation of the molecular defect in vif-deficient human immunodeficiency virus type 1 virionsNathan C Gaddis
Department of Microbiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Virol 77:5810-20. 2003..Based on the inability of this comprehensive analysis to uncover molecular defects in Delta vif virions, we speculate that such defects are likely to be subtle and/or rare...
- Envelope glycoprotein incorporation, not shedding of surface envelope glycoprotein (gp120/SU), Is the primary determinant of SU content of purified human immunodeficiency virus type 1 and simian immunodeficiency virusElena Chertova
AIDS Vaccine Program, SAIC Frederick, Maryland 21702 1201, USA
J Virol 76:5315-25. 2002..These findings suggest that incorporation of SU-TM complexes into the viral membrane may be the primary factor determining the quantity of SU associated with SIV and HIV-1 virions, rather than shedding of SU from mature virions...
- Proteomic and biochemical analysis of purified human immunodeficiency virus type 1 produced from infected monocyte-derived macrophagesElena Chertova
AIDS Vaccine Research Program, SAIC Frederick, Inc, NCI Frederick, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
J Virol 80:9039-52. 2006..MDM-derived HIV contained 26 of 37 proteins previously found in exosomes, consistent with the idea that HIV uses the late endosome/multivesicular body pathway during virion budding from macrophages...
- Mutational analysis of the C-terminal gag cleavage sites in human immunodeficiency virus type 1Lori V Coren
AIDS Vaccine Program, SAIC Frederick, Inc, National Cancer Institute at Frederick, Frederick, MD 21702 1201, USA
J Virol 81:10047-54. 2007..In turn, this finding suggests an important role for the p9(NC/SP2) species in some aspect of integration...
- The Mamu B 17-restricted SIV Nef IW9 to TW9 mutation abrogates correct epitope processing and presentation without loss of replicative fitnessJacob T Minang
AIDS and Cancer Virus Program, SAIC Frederick, Inc, NCI Frederick, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
Virology 375:307-14. 2008..Our data highlight the value of functional assays using virus-infected target cells as opposed to peptide-pulsed APC when assessing relevant escape mutations in CTL epitopes...
- Sites, mechanism of action and lack of reversibility of primate lentivirus inactivation by preferential covalent modification of virion internal proteinsElena Chertova
AIDS Vaccine Program, SAIC Frederick, National Cancer Institute at Frederick, Building 535, Fifth Floor, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Curr Mol Med 3:265-72. 2003..The results indicate that as judged by both biochemical and biological (infectivity) criteria, inactivation by AT-2 does not appear to be reversible under conditions likely to obtain in vivo...
- Quantitation of HLA class II protein incorporated into human immunodeficiency type 1 virions purified by anti-CD45 immunoaffinity depletion of microvesiclesCharles M Trubey
Basic Research Program Research Technology Program, SAIC Frederick, Inc, National Cancer Institute Frederick, Frederick, Maryland 21702 1201, USA
J Virol 77:12699-709. 2003..Our observations demonstrate the utility of CD45 immunoaffinity-based approaches for producing highly purified retrovirus preparations for applications that would benefit from the use of virus that is essentially free of microvesicles...
- Comparative characterization of transfection- and infection-derived simian immunodeficiency virus challenge stocks for in vivo nonhuman primate studiesGregory Q Del Prete
AIDS and Cancer Virus Program, SAIC Frederick, Inc, Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research, Frederick, Maryland, USA
J Virol 87:4584-95. 2013..These analyses suggest that there may be underappreciated features of SIV in vivo challenge stocks with the potential to impact early infection events, which may merit consideration when selecting virus stocks for in vivo studies...
- Evaluation of the safety, immunogenicity, and protective efficacy of whole inactivated simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV) vaccines with conformationally and functionally intact envelope glycoproteinsJeffrey D Lifson
AIDS Vaccine Program, SAIC Frederick, Inc, National Cancer Institute Frederick, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 20:772-87. 2004..With further optimization, AT-2-inactivated viral particles may be a useful class of immunogen in the development of a vaccine to prevent AIDS...
- HIV-1 envelope pseudotyped viral vectors and infectious molecular clones expressing the same envelope glycoprotein have a similar neutralization phenotype, but culture in peripheral blood mononuclear cells is associated with decreased neutralization sensiMark K Louder
Vaccine Research Center, National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, NIH, 40 Convent Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Virology 339:226-38. 2005..Replication competent HIV-1 and isogenic envelope pseudoviruses have similar neutralization characteristics, but passage into PBMC is associated with decreased sensitivity to neutralization...
- Distribution and three-dimensional structure of AIDS virus envelope spikesPing Zhu
Department of Biological Science and Institute of Molecular Biophysics, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida 32306, USA
Nature 441:847-52. 2006..Reconciling available atomic structures with the three-dimensional whole spike density map yields insights into the orientation of Env spike structural elements and possible structural bases of their functions...
- HIV-1 escape from the entry-inhibiting effects of a cholesterol-binding compound via cleavage of gp41 by the viral proteaseAbdul A Waheed
Virus Cell Interaction Section, HIV Drug Resistance Program, National Cancer Institute Frederick, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:8467-71. 2007..These data reveal that HIV-1 can escape from an inhibitor of viral entry by acquiring mutations that cause the cytoplasmic tail of gp41 to be cleaved by the viral protease...
- Electron tomography analysis of envelope glycoprotein trimers on HIV and simian immunodeficiency virus virionsPing Zhu
Department of Biological Science and Institute of Molecular Biophysics, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:15812-7. 2003....
- Stoichiometry of the antiviral protein APOBEC3G in HIV-1 virionsHongzhan Xu
Viral Mutation Section, HIV Drug Resistance Program, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute Frederick, P O Box B, Bldg 535, Rm 334, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Virology 360:247-56. 2007..These results indicate that virion incorporation of only a few molecules of A3G is sufficient to inhibit HIV-1 replication...
- Cholesterol depletion of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 and simian immunodeficiency virus with beta-cyclodextrin inactivates and permeabilizes the virions: evidence for virion-associated lipid raftsDavid R M Graham
The Leukocyte Immunochemistry Laboratory, Department of Pharmacology and Molecular Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Virol 77:8237-48. 2003....
- Inactivation of retroviruses with preservation of structural integrity by targeting the hydrophobic domain of the viral envelopeYossef Raviv
Center for Cancer Research Nanobiology Program, NCI Frederick, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
J Virol 79:12394-400. 2005..Targeting the lipid domain of biological membranes with hydrophobic alkylating compounds could be used as a general approach for inactivation of enveloped viruses and other pathogenic microorganisms for vaccine application...