E M Cheng
- Carotid artery stenosis: wide variability in reporting formats--a review of 127 Veterans Affairs medical centersEric M Cheng
Department of Neurology, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, 11301 Wilshire Blvd, ML 127, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Radiology 266:289-94. 2013..To determine whether radiology reports describe clinically significant carotid arterial stenosis in a consistent format that is actionable by ordering clinicians...
- Lower use of carotid artery imaging at minority-serving hospitalsEric M Cheng
Department of Neurology, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, USA
Neurology 79:138-44. 2012..We determined whether site of care explains a previously identified racial disparity in carotid artery imaging...
- SF-36 includes less Parkinson Disease (PD)-targeted content but is more responsive to change than two PD-targeted health-related quality of life measuresCarlos A Brown
UCLA VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Qual Life Res 18:1219-37. 2009..To compare validity including responsiveness, and internal consistency reliability and scaling assumptions of a generic (SF-36) and Parkinson Disease (PD)-targeted (PDQ-39; PDQUALIF) health-related quality of life (HRQOL) measures...
- Quality indicators for multiple sclerosisEric M Cheng
Department of Neurology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Mult Scler 16:970-80. 2010..Following a widely accepted methodology, we developed a comprehensive set of quality indicators for MS care that can be used to assess quality of care and guide the design of interventions to improve care among persons with MS...
- Use of antithrombotic agents among U.S. stroke survivors, 2000-2006Eric M Cheng
Department of Neurology, University of California, Los Angeles, 90073, USA
Am J Prev Med 38:47-53. 2010..Secondary stroke prevention guidelines recommend antithrombotic agents such as over-the-counter aspirin, prescription antiplatelet agents, or anticoagulant agents...
- Randomized, controlled trial of an intervention to enable stroke survivors throughout the Los Angeles County safety net to "stay with the guidelines"Eric M Cheng
Department of Neurology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, and Department of Neurology, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 4:229-34. 2011..Stroke is the leading cause of adult disability. Inpatient programs optimize secondary stroke prevention care at the time of hospital discharge, but such care may not be continued after hospital discharge...
- Primary language and receipt of recommended health care among Hispanics in the United StatesEric M Cheng
Department of Neurology, VA Greater Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 22:283-8. 2007..Disparities in health care services between Hispanics and whites in the United States are well documented...
- Quality indicators for the care of stroke and atrial fibrillation in vulnerable eldersEric M Cheng
Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:S431-7. 2007
- Disparities of care in veterans with Parkinson's diseaseE M Cheng
Parkinson s Disease Research, Education, and Clinical Center, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, 11301 Wilshire Boulevard, B500, ML 127, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 14:8-14. 2008..Disparities of Parkinson's disease (PD) care have not been assessed...
- Association of specialist involvement and quality of care for Parkinson's diseaseEric M Cheng
Parkinson s Disease Research, Education, and Clinical Center PADRECC, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, California, USA
Mov Disord 22:515-22. 2007..Quality of care interventions should involve specialists in management of motor symptoms and incorporate methods for routine assessment of nonmotor PD symptoms...
- Suboptimal control of atherosclerotic disease risk factors after cardiac and cerebrovascular proceduresEric M Cheng
Department of Neurology, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Stroke 38:929-34. 2007..Undergoing a carotid endarterectomy, a coronary artery bypass graft, or a percutaneous coronary intervention provides an opportunity to optimize control of blood pressure and low-density lipoprotein...
- Role of religiosity and spirituality in complementary and alternative medicine use among cancer survivors in CaliforniaAn Fu Hsiao
VA Long Beach Healthcare System, Long Beach, California 90822, USA
Integr Cancer Ther 7:139-46. 2008..Because increased religiosity and spirituality have been found to be associated with higher CAM use in the general population, it was hypothesized that these factors would be important predictors of CAM use in cancer survivors...
- Complementary and alternative medicine use among Asian-American subgroups: prevalence, predictors, and lack of relationship to acculturation and access to conventional health careAn Fu Hsiao
Center for Health Policy Research, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697 5800, USA
J Altern Complement Med 12:1003-10. 2006..Because of differences in health and cultural beliefs, we also hypothesized that patterns and predictors of CAM use would vary among Asian-American subgroups...
- Development of quality of care indicators for Parkinson's diseaseEric M Cheng
Parkinson s Disease Research, Education Clinical Center PADRECC, Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, California 90073, USA
Mov Disord 19:136-50. 2004..01). An expert panel can reach consensus on a set of highly rated quality indicators for PD care, which can be used to assess quality of PD care and guide the design of quality improvement projects...
- Quality improvement in neurology: AAN Parkinson disease quality measures: report of the Quality Measurement and Reporting Subcommittee of the American Academy of NeurologyE M Cheng
Department of Neurology, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Neurology 75:2021-7. 2010..The American Academy of Neurology (AAN) identified the need for neurologists to develop measures of neurologic care and to establish a process to accomplish this...
- Racial differences in patient expectations prior to resective epilepsy surgeryChristine Bower Baca
Department of Neurology, University of California at Los Angeles, 911 Broxton Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Epilepsy Behav 15:452-5. 2009..Elucidating the reason for these differences can aid in the clinical decision-making process for resective surgery and potentially address disparities in its utilization...
- Factors related to agreement between self-reported and conventional Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) scoresE M Cheng
Department of Neurology, UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095-1769, USA
Mult Scler 7:405-10. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: While the self-assessed EDSS scores do not agree highly enough to take the place of conventional EDSS scores, they may be sufficient for MS trial screening or for assessing outcomes across broad categories of disability...
- Optimizing algorithms to identify Parkinson's disease cases within an administrative databaseNicholas R Szumski
Department of Neurology, UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Mov Disord 24:51-6. 2009....
- Using administrative databases to calculate Framingham scores within a large health care organizationOlaniyi James Ekundayo
University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Stroke 42:1982-7. 2011..Because health care administrative datasets are including more clinical information, we explored how well administrative data-derived Framingham scores could identify persons who would have stroke develop in the next year...
- VA Stroke Study: neurologist care is associated with increased testing but improved outcomesEric M Cheng
Neurology 62:1914; author reply 1914-5. 2004
- Development of a Stroke Prevention Program for an Underserved Minority CommunityEric Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2007..It will be tested in a VA and implemented in an indigent minority community in Los Angeles. ..