Joshua J Ofman
Affiliation: Cerner Corporation
- Development and validation of a grading system for the quality of cost-effectiveness studiesChiun Fang Chiou
Zynx Health Inc, Cerner Corporation, Beverly Hills, California 90212, USA
Med Care 41:32-44. 2003..To provide a practical quantitative tool for appraising the quality of cost-effectiveness (CE) studies...
- Examining the value and quality of health economic analyses: implications of utilizing the QHESJoshua J Ofman
Zynx Health Inc, 9100 Wilshire Blvd, East Tower, Suite 655, Beverly Hills, CA 90212, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 9:53-61. 2003..To examine the increasing use of health economic studies and practical implications of evaluating their quality utilizing the Quality of Health Economic Studies (QHES) instrument...
- Decision making in gastroesophageal reflux disease. What are the critical issues?Joshua J Ofman
Department of Medicine, Division of Health Services Research and Gastroenterology, Cedars Sinai Health System, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 31:S67-76. 2002..The results of prospective effectiveness trials are anticipated to validate the findings of these economic analyses...
- A randomized trial of an acid-peptic disease management program in a managed care environmentJoshua J Ofman
Department of Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, Calif, USA
Am J Manag Care 9:425-33. 2003..To study the effectiveness of a disease management program for patients with acid-related disorders...
- Does disease management improve clinical and economic outcomes in patients with chronic diseases? A systematic reviewJoshua J Ofman
Cedars Sinai Department of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am J Med 117:182-92. 2004..To assess the clinical and economic effects of disease management in patients with chronic diseases...
- Impairment in work productivity and health-related quality of life in patients with IBSBonnie B Dean
Cerner Health Insights, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am J Manag Care 11:S17-26. 2005..Reduced work productivity and diminished QOL of these magnitudes may have substantial financial impact on employers...
- Effectiveness of disease management programs in depression: a systematic reviewEnkhe Badamgarav
Zynx Health, 9100 Wilshire Blvd, East Tower, Suite 655, Beverly Hills, CA 90212, USA
Am J Psychiatry 160:2080-90. 2003..The authors systematically evaluated the published evidence to assess the effectiveness of disease management programs in depression...
- Physician attitudes toward strategies to promote the adoption of medical evidence into clinical practiceJeff Borenstein
Department of Medicine and Health Services Research, Cedars-Sinai Health System, and Zynx Health Inc, Los Angeles, Calif 90212, USA
Am J Manag Care 9:225-34. 2003..CONCLUSION: From the perspective of practicing physicians, the frequency of exposure to strategies for promoting the adoption of medical evidence into clinical practice strongly affects their perceived effectiveness...
- A systematic review of diabetes disease management programsKevin Knight
PHAR, LLC, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
Am J Manag Care 11:242-50. 2005..To systematically evaluate and synthesize published evidence regarding the effect of disease management programs for patients with diabetes mellitus on processes and outcomes of care...
- Minimizing complications from nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs: cost-effectiveness of competing strategies in varying risk groupsBrennan M R Spiegel
Veteran s Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90073, USA
Arthritis Rheum 53:185-97. 2005..To appraise the cost-effectiveness of competing therapeutic strategies in patient cohorts eligible for aspirin prophylaxis with varying degrees of gastrointestinal (GI) and cardiovascular risk...
- Quality of life in managed care patients with irritable bowel syndromeAlisa Wilson
Zynx Health Inc, Los Angeles, California, USA
Manag Care Interface 17:24-8, 34. 2004..2 +/- 35.4) and vitality (33.7 +/- 19.2). In multivariate regression models controlling for age, sex, work status and education, severity of abdominal discomfort/pain was a significant independent predictor of QoL...
- Meta-analysis of dyspepsia and nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugsJoshua J Ofman
Cedars Sinai Health System and Zynx Health Inc, Los Angeles, California 90212, USA
Arthritis Rheum 49:508-18. 2003..Using published and unpublished data sources, we sought to determine estimates of the risks of dyspepsia associated with NSAIDs...
- Effectiveness of proton pump inhibitors in nonerosive reflux diseaseBonnie B Dean
Cerner Health Insights, Beverly Hills, California 90212, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2:656-64. 2004..We aimed to synthesize available data and determine the effectiveness of PPIs on symptom resolution in patients with NERD...
- The use of rheumatoid arthritis health-related quality of life patient questionnaires in clinical practice: lessons learnedSimcha M Russak
Zynx Health Incorporated, Beverly Hills, California, USA
Arthritis Rheum 49:574-84. 2003..Few rheumatologists routinely gather such information as part of patient care. Reasons for this discrepancy between utility and use are given along with recommendations intended to help increase their utilization in clinical care...
- Reading and interpreting economic evaluations in rheumatoid arthritis: an assessment of selected instruments for critical appraisalMichael H Weisman
Evidence-Based Medicine Working Groups in Rheumatology, Beverly Hills, CA, USA
J Rheumatol 30:1739-47. 2003..Although consistency between reviewers was good on both guidelines, inter-guideline discrepancies were noted and reviewers reported some difficulty in using the operationalized format...
- Utilization of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and antisecretory agents: a managed care claims analysisJoshua J Ofman
Department of Medicine, Zynx Health-A Cerner Company, Beverly Hills, California 90212, USA
Am J Med 116:835-42. 2004....
- The economic and quality-of-life impact of symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux diseaseJoshua J Ofman
Department of Medicine, Division of Health Services Research and Gastroenterology, Cedars-Sinai Health System, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 98:S8-S14. 2003..Furthermore, these management strategies must be implemented in real world settings to validate their effectiveness and firmly establish claims of reduced need for diagnostic testing and decreased direct medical costs...
- The limited incorporation of economic analyses in clinical practice guidelinesJoel F Wallace
Zynx Health Incorporated, a Subsidiary of Cedars-Sinai Health System, Cedars-Sinai Department of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 17:210-20. 2002..A systematic approach to guideline development should be used to ensure the consideration of economic analyses so that recommendations from guidelines may impact both the quality of care and the efficient allocation of resources...
- Minimizing recurrent peptic ulcer hemorrhage after endoscopic hemostasis: the cost-effectiveness of competing strategiesBrennan M R Spiegel
Department of Digestive Diseases, University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 98:86-97. 2003..However, i.v. PPIs are likely to reduce the need for second look endoscopy and may be preferred overall if the rebleed rate and cost of i.v. PPIs remains low...
- Interventions used in disease management programmes for patients with chronic illness-which ones work? Meta-analysis of published reportsScott R Weingarten
Zynx Health, 9100 Wilshire Boulevard 665E, Beverly Hills, CA 90212, USA
BMJ 325:925. 2002..To systematically evaluate the published evidence regarding the characteristics and effectiveness of disease management programmes...
- Dyspepsia management in primary care: a decision analysis of competing strategiesBrennan M R Spiegel
Department of Medicine and Health Services Research, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
Gastroenterology 122:1270-85. 2002
- Erythropoiesis-stimulating protein therapy and the decline of renal function: a retrospective analysis of patients with chronic kidney diseaseBonnie B Dean
Cerner Health Insights, Beverly Hills, CA 90212, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 21:981-7. 2005..Longer-term, prospective trials are needed to determine whether ESPs slow progression of renal disease and the potential magnitude of such an effect...
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease--should we adopt a new conceptual framework?Ronnie Fass
Department of Medicine, Southern Arizona VA Health Care System, and Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson 85723, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 97:1901-9. 2002....
- Development of a new instrument for rheumatoid arthritis: the Cedars-Sinai Health-Related Quality of Life instrument (CSHQ-RA)Michael H Weisman
Cedars Sinai Health System, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
Arthritis Rheum 49:78-84. 2003....
- Economic and utilization outcomes associated with choice of treatment for venous thromboembolism in hospitalized patientsKevin K Knight
Cerner Health Insights, Beverly Hills, CA 90212, USA
Value Health 8:191-200. 2005..In spite of its higher medication cost, however, treatment with LMWH/VKA was associated with significantly shorter hospital stays and lower total hospitalization costs, compared with UFH/VKA...
- The clinical and economic impact of competing management strategies for gastro-oesophageal reflux diseaseJoshua J Ofman
Departments of Medicine and Health Services Research, Division of Gastroenterology, Cedars-Sinai Health System, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 16:261-73. 2002..These findings warrant a prospective trial comparing these competing management strategies...
- Effects of disease management programs on functional status of patients with rheumatoid arthritisEnkhe Badamgarav
Zynx Health Incorporated, Los Angeles, California, USA
Arthritis Rheum 49:377-87. 2003..Additional studies are needed to confirm if a more intensive intervention may be of benefit to patients with RA, as suggested by our study...
- Do NSAIDs cause dyspepsia? A meta-analysis evaluating alternative dyspepsia definitionsWalter L Straus
AHCPR Southern California Evidence Based Practice Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 97:1951-8. 2002..Using alternative definitions, we assessed the relationship between NSAID use and dyspepsia...
- Identifying patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease: validation of a practical screening toolJoshua J Ofman
Cedars-Sinai Department of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Dig Dis Sci 47:1863-9. 2002..This may serve as a valuable case-finding instrument in primary-care and managed-care organizations wishing to implement programs to improve the quality and efficiency of care...
- The economic consequences of irritable bowel syndrome: a US employer perspectiveStephanie A Leong
Analysis Group Economics, Boston, MA 02199, USA
Arch Intern Med 163:929-35. 2003....
- Irritable bowel syndrome, health care use, and costs: a U.S. managed care perspectiveGeorge F Longstreth
Southern California Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Plan, San Diego, California, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 98:600-7. 2003..The severity of abdominal pain/discomfort is a significant predictor of health care use and costs for patients with IBS compared with non-IBS subjects...
- Suspected inflammatory bowel disease--the clinical and economic impact of competing diagnostic strategiesMarla C Dubinsky
Department of Pediatrics, Cedars Sinai-Medical Center, University of California Los Angeles School of Medicine, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 97:2333-42. 2002..The economic benefits seem to be achieved by avoiding invasive evaluations in patients without IBD. Confirmation of these findings in a prospective comparative trial seems to be warranted...
- Epoetin alfa use in patients with ESRD: an analysis of recent US prescribing patterns and hemoglobin outcomesAllan J Collins
Chronic Disease Research Group, Minneapolis Medical Research Foundation, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 46:481-8. 2005..Physicians appeared to appropriately adjust doses to achieve hemoglobin levels recommended by the NKF-K/DOQI guidelines...