Affiliation: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Location: Atlanta, United States of America
He has conducted research on the molecular epidemiology of rabies in terrestrial carnivores and bats in the Americas. His work has contributed to the identification of recent and historical host shifts from rabies in dogs to terrestrial wild carnivores in North America and China. In addition, he has reported new rabies virus variants in Mexico.
- Ferret badger rabies origin and its revisited importance as potential source of rabies transmission in Southeast ChinaYe Liu
Key Laboratory of Jilin Province for Zoonosis Prevention and Control, Laboratory of Epidemiology, Veterinary Research Institute, Academy of Military Medical Sciences, 1068 Qinglong Road, Changchun 130062, China
BMC Infect Dis 10:234. 2010....
- Antigenic diversity and distribution of rabies virus in MexicoAndres Velasco-Villa
Instituto de Diagnostico y Referencia Epidemiologicos, SSA, Carpio 470, Colonia Santo Tomas, 11340 Mexico City, Mexico
J Clin Microbiol 40:951-8. 2002..Rabies virus antigenic typing allowed us to determine rabies reservoirs and their distribution in Mexico, data which will probably improve prevention and control of the illness in humans and in the reservoir hosts...
- New rabies virus variant found during an epizootic in white-nosed coatis from the Yucatan PeninsulaN Aréchiga-Ceballos
Unidad de Investigación Médica en Inmunología, Coordinación de Investigación Médica, Hospital de Pediatria, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social
Epidemiol Infect 138:1586-9. 2010..Enhanced rabies surveillance and pathogenesis studies should be conducted in coatis and insectivorous bats of the region to clarify the role of these species as potential emergent or long-term unidentified RABV reservoirs...
- Rabies virus pathogenesis in relationship to intervention with inactivated and attenuated rabies vaccinesRichard Franka
Poxvirus and Rabies Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Zoonotic, Vector Borne and Enteric Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Vaccine 27:7149-55. 2009..Reduced vaccine schedules provided efficacious intervention, regardless of the total number of vaccine doses administered...
- Human rabies and rabies in vampire and nonvampire bat species, Southeastern Peru, 2007Gabriela Salmon-Mulanovich
US Naval Medical Research Center Detachment, Lima, Peru
Emerg Infect Dis 15:1308-10. 2009..Among 165 bats from 6 genera and 10 species, 10.3% were antibody positive; antibody prevalence was similar in vampire and nonvampire bats. Thus, nonvampire bats may also be a source for human rabies in Peru...
- Molecular epidemiology of rabies in Southern People's Republic of ChinaXiao yan Tao
Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Emerg Infect Dis 15:1192-8. 2009....
- New rabies virus variant in Mexican immigrantAndres Velasco-Villa
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1906-8. 2008..Enhanced surveillance is needed to elucidate likely reservoirs...
- Enzootic rabies elimination from dogs and reemergence in wild terrestrial carnivores, United StatesAndres Velasco-Villa
Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1849-54. 2008....
- Are all lyssavirus genes equal for phylogenetic analyses?Xianfu Wu
Rabies Program PRB, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Virus Res 129:91-103. 2007....
- Molecular epidemiology of rabies in Colombia 1994-2005 based on partial nucleoprotein gene sequencesAndrés Paez
Laboratorio de Virologia, Instituto Nacional de Salud INS, Av El Dorado Cra 50 CAN, Bogota D C, Colombia
Virus Res 130:172-81. 2007..Our data were consistent with previous studies in which partial Psi, G and L gene sequences were analyzed. Our results confirmed the existence of RABV of unclassified AV in Colombia...
- Molecular epidemiology identifies only a single rabies virus variant circulating in complex carnivore communities of the SerengetiT Lembo
Wildlife and Emerging Diseases Section, Centre for Tropical Veterinary Medicine, Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh, Easter Bush Veterinary Centre, Roslin, Midlothian, Edinburgh EH25 9RG, UK
Proc Biol Sci 274:2123-30. 2007....
- A new phylogenetic lineage of rabies virus associated with western pipistrelle bats (Pipistrellus hesperus)Richard Franka
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, DVRD VRZB Rabies, G33, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Gen Virol 87:2309-21. 2006....
- Molecular diversity of rabies viruses associated with bats in Mexico and other countries of the AmericasAndres Velasco-Villa
Rabies Unit, Viral and Rickettsial Zoonoses Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd, NE, Mail Stop G33, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 44:1697-710. 2006..Genetic typing of rabies viruses allowed us to distinguish trends of disease dissemination and to address, in a preliminary fashion, aspects of the complex evolution of rabies viruses in different host-reservoir species...
- Evaluation of a direct, rapid immunohistochemical test for rabies diagnosisTiziana Lembo
University of Edinburgh, Midlothian, United Kingdom
Emerg Infect Dis 12:310-3. 2006..Compared to the direct fluorescent antibody test, the traditional standard in rabies diagnosis, the dRIT was 100% sensitive and specific...
- Molecular epizootiology of rabies associated with terrestrial carnivores in MexicoAndres Velasco-Villa
Viral and Rickettsial Zoonosis Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Mailstop G33, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Virus Res 111:13-27. 2005..Two other skunk foci share a common ancestor with canine rabies and were distributed in northwest Mexico and Yucatan...
- Infectious diseases in Mexico. A survey from 1995-2000Ana Flisser
Departamento de Microbiologia y Parasitologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico
Arch Med Res 33:343-50. 2002..Low iodine values in children's urine were found in several Mexican states; therefore, use of iodized salt should be encouraged...
- Detection of North American orthopoxviruses by real time-PCRNadia F Gallardo-Romero
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, Division of High Consequence Pathogens and Pathology, Poxvirus and Rabies Branch, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Virol J 8:313. 2011..Thus, our assay is a promising tool for highly sensitive and specific detection of North American orthopoxviruses in the United States and abroad...