J W Tappero
Affiliation: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Modeling the effect of water, sanitation, and hygiene and oral cholera vaccine implementation in HaitiIsaac Chun Hai Fung
National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, and Center for Global Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 89:633-40. 2013..Rate of implementation is the most influential variable, and combined approaches maximized the effect...
- Increasing incidence of malaria in children despite insecticide-treated bed nets and prompt anti-malarial therapy in Tororo, UgandaPrasanna Jagannathan
Department of Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Malar J 11:435. 2012..The burden of malaria has decreased in parts of Africa following the scaling up of control interventions. However, similar data are limited from high transmission settings...
- Safety and tolerability of artemether-lumefantrine versus dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine for malaria in young HIV-infected and uninfected childrenShereen Katrak
Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, USA
Malar J 8:272. 2009..However, there is limited data on the safety and tolerability of these drugs, especially in young children and patients co-infected with HIV...
- Immunogenicity of 2 serogroup B outer-membrane protein meningococcal vaccines: a randomized controlled trial in ChileJ W Tappero
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Meningitis and Special Pathogens Branch, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
JAMA 281:1520-7. 1999..Although persons younger than 4 years are at greatest risk for serogroup B meningococcal disease, vaccine efficacy has not been demonstrated in this age group...
- Age-dependent Neisseria meningitidis serogroup C class-specific antibody concentrations and bactericidal titers in sera from young children from Montana immunized with a licensed polysaccharide vaccineS E Maslanka
Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Infect Immun 66:2453-9. 1998..The bactericidal results show age-dependent differences in the production and retention of antibody in young children immunized with serogroup C polysaccharide; these differences are not evident with the ELISA data...
- Meningococcal vaccinesN E Rosenstein
Meningitis and Special Pathogens Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Infect Dis Clin North Am 15:155-69. 2001..As a solely human pathogen, however, N. meningitidis has developed many tools with which to evade the human immune system, and likely will pose a formidable challenge for years to come...
- Leptospirosis among patients presenting with dengue-like illness in Puerto RicoMichael G Bruce
Arctic Investigations Program, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC, Anchorage, Alaska 99508, USA
Acta Trop 96:36-46. 2005..Epidemiological, clinical, and laboratory criteria may help distinguish leptospirosis from dengue and identify patients who would benefit from early antibiotic treatment...
- Leptospirosis mimicking acute cholecystitis among athletes participating in a triathlonJ Guarner
Infectious Disease Pathology Activity, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, and Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Hum Pathol 32:750-2. 2001..If a cholecystectomy is performed in febrile patients with suspicious environmental or animal exposure, pathologic studies for leptospirosis on formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissues may be of great value...