Affiliation: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- HIV/AIDS prevention, faith, and spirituality among black/African American and Latino communities in the United States: strengthening scientific faith-based efforts to shift the course of the epidemic and reduce HIV-related health disparitiesMadeline Y Sutton
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Centers for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd NE MS E 45, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Relig Health 52:514-30. 2013....
- Molecular subtyping of Treponema pallidum in an Arizona County with increasing syphilis morbidity: use of specimens from ulcers and bloodM Y Sutton
Division of Sexually Transmitted Diseases Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Infect Dis 183:1601-6. 2001..pallidum can be found in an area with high syphilis morbidity, although 1 subtype (14f) was predominant. Four typeable specimens were from blood, a newly identified specimen source for subtyping...
- A review of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's response to the HIV/AIDS crisis among Blacks in the United States, 1981-2009Madeline Y Sutton
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Centers for HIV AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road NE, MS E 45, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Am J Public Health 99:S351-9. 2009....
- HIV testing and HIV/AIDS treatment services in rural counties in 10 southern states: service provider perspectivesMadeline Sutton
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Rural Health 26:240-7. 2010..Data are limited regarding provider perspectives of the accessibility and availability of HIV testing and treatment services in southern rural counties...
- The prevalence of bacterial vaginosis in the United States, 2001-2004; associations with symptoms, sexual behaviors, and reproductive healthEmilia H Koumans
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Sex Transm Dis 34:864-9. 2007..We determined prevalence and associations with BV among a representative sample of women of reproductive age in the United States...
- Amplification of the DNA polymerase I gene of Treponema pallidum from whole blood of persons with syphilisA A Marfin
Epidemiology and Surveillance Branch, Division of STD Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 40:163-6. 2001..Of these 13, three were determined to have incubating syphilis; two had primary or secondary syphilis and eight had latent syphilis. This study demonstrates that spirochetemia can occur throughout the course of T. pallidum infection...
- The sequence of the acidic repeat protein (arp) gene differentiates venereal from nonvenereal Treponema pallidum subspecies, and the gene has evolved under strong positive selection in the subspecies that causes syphilisKristin N Harper
Department of Population Biology, Ecology, and Evolution, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 53:322-32. 2008..This study suggests that variations in the number and sequence of repeat motifs in the arp gene have clinical, epidemiological, and evolutionary significance...
- Toward eliminating health disparities in HIV/AIDS: the importance of the minority investigator in addressing scientific gaps in Black and Latino communitiesLisa K Fitzpatrick
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Epidemiology Branch, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 98:1906-11. 2006..Although the program is disease specific, there are a variety of lessons learned from its inception and implementation that can be useful throughout the scientific, medical and public health communities...
- The prevalence of Trichomonas vaginalis infection among reproductive-age women in the United States, 2001-2004Madeline Sutton
National Center for HIV AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, Sexually Transmitted Disease, and Tuberculosis Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 45:1319-26. 2007..However, there are no data on the prevalence of trichomoniasis among all reproductive-age women. We estimated the prevalence of T. vaginalis infection from a nationally representative sample of women in the United States...