Affiliation: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Malaria surveillance--United States, 2004Jacek Skarbinski
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Office of Workforce and Career Development, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
MMWR Surveill Summ 55:23-37. 2006..Malaria surveillance is conducted to identify episodes of local transmission and to guide prevention recommendations for travelers...
- Impact of indoor residual spraying with lambda-cyhalothrin on malaria parasitemia and anemia prevalence among children less than five years of age in an area of intense, year-round transmission in MalawiJacek Skarbinski
Malaria Branch, and Entomology Branch, Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 86:997-1004. 2012....
- Comparative field performance and adherence to test results of four malaria rapid diagnostic tests among febrile patients more than five years of age in Blantyre, MalawiJobiba Chinkhumba
Malaria Alert Centre, Chichiri, Blantyre, Malawi
Malar J 9:209. 2010..In preparation to scale-up RDTs in health facilities in Malawi, an evaluation of four RDTs to help guide national-level decision-making was conducted...
- Impact of health facility-based insecticide treated bednet distribution in Malawi: progress and challenges towards achieving universal coverageJacek Skarbinski
Malaria Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e21995. 2011..Since 2007 Malawi has implemented free health facility-based ITN distribution for pregnant women and children <5 years old (under-5s). We evaluated the progress of this targeted approach toward achieving universal ITN coverage...
- Effect of malaria rapid diagnostic tests on the management of uncomplicated malaria with artemether-lumefantrine in Kenya: a cluster randomized trialJacek Skarbinski
Malaria Branch, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341 3724, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:919-26. 2009..30). RDTs could potentially improve malaria case management, but we urgently need to develop more effective strategies for implementing guidelines before large scale implementation...
- Assessing the validity of health facility-based data on insecticide-treated bednet possession and use: comparison of data collected via health facility and household surveys--Lindi region and Rufiji district, Tanzania, 2005Jacek Skarbinski
Malaria Branch, Division of Parasitic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Trop Med Int Health 13:396-405. 2008..Overestimating insecticide-treated bednet use could lead to inappropriate public health actions and missed opportunities for achieving local and global public health goals...
- Distribution of free untreated bednets bundled with insecticide via an integrated child health campaign in Lindi Region, Tanzania: lessons for future campaignsJacek Skarbinski
Malaria Branch, Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Zoonotic, Vector Borne, and Enteric Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341 3724, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 76:1100-6. 2007..However, our study found that bednets were rarely treated; thus, future campaigns should provide factory-treated long-lasting ITNs. Low ITN use underscores the need for further efforts to increase use after campaigns...
- Performance of malaria rapid diagnostic tests as part of routine malaria case management in KenyaAlexandre Macedo de Oliveira
Malaria Branch, Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Vector Borne, Zoonotic, and Enteric Diseases, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:470-4. 2009..5% (95% CI: 33.2-71.9%) sensitive and 77.0% (95% CI: 67.9-86.2%) specific. Our findings suggest that RDTs perform better than microscopy under routine conditions. Further efforts are needed to maintain this high RDT performance over time...
- Malaria surveillance - United States, 2005Julie Thwing
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Office of Workforce and Career Development, National Center for Zoonotic, Vector Borne, and Enteric Diseases, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
MMWR Surveill Summ 56:23-40. 2007..Malaria surveillance is conducted to identify episodes of local transmission and to guide prevention recommendations for travelers...
- Adherence to treatment with artemether-lumefantrine for uncomplicated malaria in rural MalawiKimberly E Mace
Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria, Malaria Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 53:772-9. 2011..Because of concerns about the complex dosing schedule, we assessed patient adherence to AL 2 years after routine implementation...
- HIV-infected hospitalized patients with 2009 pandemic influenza A (pH1N1)--United States, spring and summer 2009Philip J Peters
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 52:S183-8. 2011..Clinicians should consider early empiric influenza antiviral treatment in HIV-infected patients presenting with suspected influenza...
- Performance of two malaria rapid diagnostic tests in febrile adult patients with and without human immunodeficiency virus-1 infection in Blantyre, MalawiJobiba Chinkhumba
Malaria Alert Center and Department of Community Health, Malawi College of Medicine, Blantyre, Malawi
Am J Trop Med Hyg 86:199-202. 2012..3%) versus 97.1% (95% CI: 92.8-99.2%) and specificity 50.6% (95% CI:39.0-62.2%) versus 50.3% (95% CI: 44.4-56.1%). Infection with HIV-1 does not appear to affect the performance of these histidine-rich protein type-2 (HRP-2)-based mRDTs...
- Clinical and behavioral characteristics of adults receiving medical care for HIV infection --- Medical Monitoring Project, United States, 2007Janet M Blair
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, CDC, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
MMWR Surveill Summ 60:1-20. 2011....
- Why first-level health workers fail to follow guidelines for managing severe disease in children in the Coast Region, the United Republic of TanzaniaNicholas D Walter
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, United States of America
Bull World Health Organ 87:99-107. 2009..To determine why health workers fail to follow integrated management of childhood illness (IMCI) guidelines for severely ill children at first-level outpatient health facilities in rural areas of the United Republic of Tanzania...
- Modeling the financial and clinical implications of malaria rapid diagnostic tests in the case-management of older children and adults in KenyaDejan Zurovac
Malaria Public Health and Epidemiology Group, Centre for Geographic Medicine Research Coast, Kenya Medical Research Institute Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Nairobi, Kenya
Am J Trop Med Hyg 78:884-91. 2008..In both districts, adherence to revised clinical practices with RDTs has the potential to further decrease treatment errors with acceptable costs...