Affiliation: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Epidemic cholera in Kakuma Refugee Camp, Kenya, 2009: the importance of sanitation and soapAbdirahman Sheikh Mahamud
Kenya Medical Research Institute Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Nairobi, Kenya
J Infect Dev Ctries 6:234-41. 2012..A cholera outbreak with 224 cases and four deaths occurred in Kakuma Refugee Camp in Kenya from September to December 2009...
- Herpes zoster-related deaths in the United States: validity of death certificates and mortality rates, 1979-2007Abdirahman Mahamud
National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Clin Infect Dis 55:960-6. 2012..Herpes zoster (HZ) vaccine was recommended in the United States to reduce HZ-associated morbidity. Vaccination may reduce HZ-associated mortality, but no strategy exists to monitor mortality trends...
- Challenges in confirming a varicella outbreak in the two-dose vaccine eraAbdirahman Mahamud
National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Vaccine 30:6935-9. 2012..A second dose of varicella vaccine was recommended for U.S. children in 2006. We investigated a suspected varicella outbreak in School District X, Texas to determine 2-dose varicella vaccine effectiveness (VE)...
- Economic impact of the 2009-2010 Guam mumps outbreak on the public health sector and affected familiesAbdirahman Mahamud
National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, United States
Vaccine 30:6444-8. 2012..The United States Territory of Guam reported a large mumps outbreak of 505 cases during 2009-2010. We assessed the economic impact of the outbreak from the perspectives of the local public health sector and affected families...
- Epidemiology of respiratory viral infections in two long-term refugee camps in Kenya, 2007-2010Jamal A Ahmed
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Nairobi, Kenya
BMC Infect Dis 12:7. 2012..We implemented surveillance for respiratory viruses in Dadaab and Kakuma refugee camps in Kenya to characterize their role in the epidemiology of ARI among refugees...