Affiliation: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Effectiveness of intermittent preventive treatment with sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine during pregnancy on maternal and birth outcomes in Machinga district, MalawiJulie Gutman
Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Infect Dis 208:907-16. 2013..Despite increasing prevalence of malarial parasite resistance to sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine (SP), SP continues to be recommended for intermittent preventive treatment in pregnancy (IPTp)...
- Combination of probenecid-sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine for intermittent preventive treatment in pregnancyJulie Gutman
Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria, Malaria Branch, 1600 Clifton Rd NE, Mailstop A06, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
Malar J 11:39. 2012..This article concludes by calling for further research into this potentially useful combination...
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis Infection of the placenta: a study of the early (innate) inflammatory response in two casesCarlos R Abramowsky
Department of Pathology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 15:132-6. 2012..This report also shows that the differential diagnosis of acute villitis and intervillitis in the placenta should include tuberculosis aside from the more common bacterial infections such as listeriosis...
- Ascaris co-infection does not alter malaria-induced anaemia in a cohort of Nigerian preschool childrenFrancisca A Abanyie
Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Malar J 12:1. 2013..This study examined whether Ascaris co-infection can minimize the severity of malarial anaemia...
- Pediatric malaria: 8-year case series in Atlanta, Georgia, and review of the literatureJulie Gutman
Department of Pediatric Infectious Disease, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Travel Med 17:334-8. 2010..The objective of this study is to describe epidemiology, clinical and laboratory presentation, and treatment of children with malaria in the United States...
- Effects of annual mass treatment with ivermectin for onchocerciasis on the prevalence of intestinal helminthsJulie Gutman
Emory University School of Medicine, Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:534-41. 2010..We conclude that benzimidazole MDA in IV treatment areas is indicated to effectively control hookworm...
- Mefloquine pharmacokinetics and mefloquine-artesunate effectiveness in Peruvian patients with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malariaJulie Gutman
Division of Parasitic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Malar J 8:58. 2009..This study examines the in vivo efficacy and pharmacokinetic parameters through Day 56 of three commercial formulations of MQ (Lariam, Mephaquin, and Mefloquina-AC Farma) given in combination with artesunate...
- 24 weeks of valganciclovir prophylaxis in children after renal transplantation: a 4-year experienceAndres F Camacho-Gonzalez
Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Emory University Department of Pediatrics and Children s Healthcare of Atlanta, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Transplantation 91:245-50. 2011..Recently, an increase in delayed-onset CMV disease has been noted with some arguing that longer prophylaxis may decrease late-onset disease...
- State of malaria diagnostic testing at clinical laboratories in the United States, 2010: a nationwide surveyFrancisca A Abanyie
Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Emory University School of Medicine and Children s Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston, 2015 Uppergate Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Malar J 10:340. 2011..The diagnosis of malaria can be difficult in non-endemic areas, such as the United States, and delays in diagnosis and errors in treatment occur too often...