Affiliation: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Zoonotic parapoxviruses detected in symptomatic cattle in BangladeshEdith Lederman
Poxvirus and Rabies Branch, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, USA
BMC Res Notes 7:816. 2014..The objective of this study was to identify and characterize bovine-associated zoonotic poxviruses in Bangladesh which are relevant to animal and human health...
- Evaluation of smallpox vaccines using variola neutralizationInger K Damon
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Zoonotic, Vector Borne, and Enteric Diseases, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Gen Virol 90:1962-6. 2009..Here, we provide characterization of the ability of a modified vaccinia virus Ankara vaccine to induce variola virus-neutralizing antibodies, and we provide comparison with the neutralization elicited by standard Dryvax vaccination...
- Detection of North American orthopoxviruses by real time-PCRNadia F Gallardo-Romero
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, Division of High Consequence Pathogens and Pathology, Poxvirus and Rabies Branch, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Virol J 8:313. 2011..Thus, our assay is a promising tool for highly sensitive and specific detection of North American orthopoxviruses in the United States and abroad...
- Genomic sequence and analysis of a vaccinia virus isolate from a patient with a smallpox vaccine-related complicationGuiyun Li
Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Victoria, Victoria, Canada
Virol J 3:88. 2006..The availability of the VACV-DUKE genome sequence permits a first time genomic comparison of a VACV isolate associated with a smallpox vaccine complication with the sequence of culture-derived clonal isolates of the Dryvax vaccine...
- Transmission of monkeypox among persons exposed to infected prairie dogs in Indiana in 2003James C Kile
Environmental Health Services Branch, Division of Emergency and Environmental Health Services, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 159:1022-5. 2005..To describe a cluster of human monkeypox cases associated with exposure to ill prairie dogs in a home child care...
- Surveillance guidelines for smallpox vaccine (vaccinia) adverse reactionsChristine Casey
Immunization Safety Office, Office of the Chief Science Officer, Office of the Director, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 55:1-16. 2006..The smallpox vaccine surveillance case definitions presented in the report can be used in future vaccination programs to ensure uniform reporting guidelines and case classification...
- Ischemic cardiac events during the Department of Health and Human Services Smallpox Vaccination Program, 2003David L Swerdlow
Smallpox Vaccine Adverse Events Monitoring and Response Activity, National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:S234-41. 2008..10; 95% PI, 3.5-15.7). After persons with >/=3 cardiac risk factors or known heart disease were deferred from vaccination, no ICEs were reported among an additional 6638 vaccinees...
- Real-time PCR assay to identify variants of Vaccinia virus: implications for the diagnosis of bovine vaccinia in BrazilGiliane de Souza Trindade
Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases National Center for Zoonotic, Vector Borne and Enteric Diseases, Coordinating Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, United States
J Virol Methods 152:63-71. 2008..In addition, these methods were able to detect orthopoxvirus viral DNA in lesion biopsy material without the need for DNA extraction...
- Eczema vaccinatum resulting from the transmission of vaccinia virus from a smallpox vaccinee: an investigation of potential fomites in the home environmentEdith Lederman
Poxvirus and Rabies Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Vaccine 27:375-7. 2009..Both siblings were found to have serologic evidence of orthopoxvirus exposure. These findings have implications for smallpox preparedness, especially in situations where some household members are not candidates for vaccination...
- Evaluation of human-to-human transmission of monkeypox from infected patients to health care workersAaron T Fleischauer
Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Program, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 40:689-94. 2005..The outbreak was associated with exposure to infected prairie dogs, but the potential for person-to-person transmission was a concern. This study examines health care worker (HCW) exposure to 3 patients with confirmed monkeypox...
- Smallpox vaccine stability after maintenance at temperatures not recommended for shippingKemba N Lee
Poxvirus Program, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Vaccine 24:884-6. 2006..From these data it can be inferred that vaccine efficacy would not be expected to be adversely affected by unintended fluctuations of temperature, within the ranges studied, for a 4-day period...
- Adverse events associated with smallpox vaccination in the United States, January-October 2003Christine G Casey
Smallpox Vaccine Adverse Event Monitoring and Response Activity, Epidemiology and Surveillance Division, National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
JAMA 294:2734-43. 2005....
- Generalized vaccinia, progressive vaccinia, and eczema vaccinatum are rare following smallpox (vaccinia) vaccination: United States surveillance, 2003Claudia Vellozzi
Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 41:689-97. 2005..GV may be difficult to distinguish from other rashes, and confirmatory testing is recommended. Careful prevaccination screening probably contributed to the low incidence of these adverse reactions following smallpox vaccination...
- Human monkeypoxMary G Reynolds
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Lancet Infect Dis 4:604-5; discussion 605. 2004
- Smallpox research activities: U.S. interagency collaboration, 2001James W Leduc
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 8:743-5. 2002