Alex E Crosby
Affiliation: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Exposure to suicide: incidence and association with suicidal ideation and behavior: United States, 1994Alex E Crosby
National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341 3724, USA
Suicide Life Threat Behav 32:321-8. 2002..Though the risk related to suicide exposure may be small, given the magnitude of exposure, it may warrant intervention efforts because of its potential societal impact...
- Child and adolescent violent deaths: an epidemiologic investigationAngela Kay McGowan
Epidemiology Program Office, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 98:158-64. 2006..An apparent increase in violent deaths among children and adolescents in Detroit, MI in 2002 prompted a coordinated epidemiologic investigation involving federal, state and local organizations...
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviors among adults aged ≥18 years--United States, 2008-2009Alex E Crosby
Division of Violence Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, CDC, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
MMWR Surveill Summ 60:1-22. 2011..Public health surveillance with timely and consistent exchange of data between data collectors and prevention program implementers allows prevention program practitioners to implement effective prevention and control activities...
- Associations between risk behaviors and suicidal ideation and suicide attempts: do racial/ethnic variations in associations account for increased risk of suicidal behaviors among Hispanic/Latina 9th- to 12th-grade female students?Danice K Eaton
Division of Adolescent and School Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Arch Suicide Res 15:113-26. 2011..Other factors, such as family characteristics, acculturation, and the socio-cultural environment, should be examined in future research...
- Patterns of abuse among unintentional pharmaceutical overdose fatalitiesAron J Hall
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
JAMA 300:2613-20. 2008..The effect of this pharmacoepidemic has been most pronounced in rural states, including West Virginia, which experienced the nation's largest increase in drug overdose mortality rates during 1999-2004...
- Characteristics of perpetrators in homicide-followed-by-suicide incidents: National Violent Death Reporting System--17 US States, 2003-2005J Logan
Division of Violence Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Highway, MS F63, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Am J Epidemiol 168:1056-64. 2008..Recognition of the link between intimate partner conflicts and homicide-suicide incidents and strategies involving collaboration among the court/legal and mental health systems might prevent these incidents...
- Prevalence of household firearms and firearm-storage practices in the 50 states and the District of Columbia: findings from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2002Catherine A Okoro
National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Pediatrics 116:e370-6. 2005..To examine the prevalence of household firearms and firearm-storage practices in the 50 states and the District of Columbia and estimate the number of children exposed to unsafe storage practices...
- Associations of body mass index and perceived weight with suicide ideation and suicide attempts among US high school studentsDanice K Eaton
National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Division of Violence Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 159:513-9. 2005..Previous research with adolescents has shown associations of body weight and perceptions of body size with suicide ideation and suicide attempts, but it is unclear whether these associations are direct or whether a mediating effect exists...
- Mental health surveillance among children--United States, 2005-2011Ruth Perou
Division of Human Development and Disability, National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities CDC, Atlanta, GA, USA
MMWR Surveill Summ 62:1-35. 2013....
- The effectiveness of interventions to reduce psychological harm from traumatic events among children and adolescents: a systematic reviewHolly R Wethington
National Center for Health Marketing, CDC, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Am J Prev Med 35:287-313. 2008..Interventions should be adapted for use in diverse populations and settings. Research should be pursued on the effectiveness of interventions for which evidence is currently insufficient...