Affiliation: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Harmonization of malaria rapid diagnostic tests: best practices in labelling including instructions for useJan Jacobs
Department of Clinical Sciences, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Malar J 13:505. 2014....
- Factoring quality laboratory diagnosis into the malaria control agenda for sub-Saharan AfricaMichael Aidoo
Malaria Branch, Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria, Center for Global Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 89:403-6. 2013..A synthesis of the challenges faced in ensuring quality malaria testing and how to include this information in the malaria control and elimination agenda are presented...
- Dried Plasmodium falciparum-infected samples as positive controls for malaria rapid diagnostic testsMichael Aidoo
Malaria Branch, Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria, Center for Global Health, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Malar J 11:239. 2012..These methods are not substitutes for direct quality control. In this study, the suitability of dried Plasmodium falciparum-infected blood as quality control samples for malaria RDTs was evaluated...
- Viral, HLA and T cell elements in cross-reactive immune responses to HIV-1 subtype A, CRF01_AE and CRF02_AG vaccine sequence in Ivorian blood donorsM Aidoo
Laboratory Branch, Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Vaccine 26:4830-9. 2008..Our data suggest that complete escape of HIV from immune recognition is uncommon. Evaluation of these frequently generated cross-reactive responses should be included in immunogenicity trials of HIV vaccines...
- Absence of SHIV infection in gut and lymph node tissues in rhesus monkeys after repeated rectal challenges following HIV-1 DNA/MVA immunizationsMichael Aidoo
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Mail Stop A 25, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Vaccine 25:6474-81. 2007..These findings demonstrate that some vaccinated macaques appeared to be free from the challenge virus. Therefore, such T cell-based vaccines may provide some protection when challenge virus doses approach physiological equivalencies...
- Cytotoxic T cell reactivity and HLA-B35 binding of the variant Plasmodium falciparum circumsporozoite protein CD8+ CTL epitope in naturally exposed Kenyan adultsV Udhayakumar
Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341 3724, USA
Eur J Immunol 27:1952-7. 1997..Altogether, these results demonstrate that natural polymorphism in the CS protein affects both the CTL reactivity and the ability to bind to HLA-B35...
- Field studies of cytotoxic T lymphocytes in malaria infections: implications for malaria vaccine developmentM Aidoo
Molecular Vaccine Section, Immunology Branch, Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Parasitol Today 16:50-6. 2000..Understanding these interactions is crucial for the development and testing of CTL-inducing vaccines for humans...
- Cytotoxic T-lymphocyte epitopes for HLA-B53 and other HLA types in the malaria vaccine candidate liver-stage antigen 3M Aidoo
Molecular Immunology Group, Institute of Molecular Medicine, Nuffield Department of Medicine, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DU, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 68:227-32. 2000..These findings emphasize the diversity of P. falciparum antigens recognized by CD8(+) T cells in humans and support the inclusion of components from several antigens in new CTL-inducing vaccines against malaria...
- Central African hunters exposed to simian immunodeficiency virusMarcia L Kalish
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 11:1928-30. 2005..001). One person had strong humoral and weak cellular immune reactivity to SIVcol peptides. Humans are exposed to and possibly infected with SIV, which has major public health implications...
- HIV-1 DNA/MVA vaccination reduces the per exposure probability of infection during repeated mucosal SHIV challengesDennis Ellenberger
Laboratory Branch, Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Mail Stop G 19, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Virology 352:216-25. 2006..Therefore, improved non-human primate models for vaccine efficacy can provide novel insight and perhaps renew expectations for positive outcomes of human HIV clinical trials...
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha promoter variant 2 (TNF2) is associated with pre-term delivery, infant mortality, and malaria morbidity in western Kenya: Asembo Bay Cohort Project IXM Aidoo
Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Disease, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Highway, Atlanta, GA 30341 3724, USA
Genet Epidemiol 21:201-11. 2001..These data suggest that TNF2 is a risk factor for pre-term birth and early childhood mortality and malaria morbidity in children in this region. Further understanding of the pathogenic mechanisms underlying this association is required...
- Malaria rapid diagnostic tests in elimination settings--can they find the last parasite?M L McMorrow
Malaria Branch, Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria, Center for Global Health, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Microbiol Infect 17:1624-31. 2011....
- Measurement of HIV-1 CRF02_AG-specific T cell responses indicates the dominance of a p24gag epitope in blood donors in Abidjan, Cote d'IvoireAnn Chahroudi
Division of AIDS, STD, and TB Laboratory Research, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Infect Dis 192:1417-21. 2005..One frequently recognized peptide in p24(gag) was mapped to the optimal epitope (TPQDLNMML). Further studies of this epitope may be important for the development of HIV-1 vaccines for West Africa and West-Central Africa...
- Protective effects of the sickle cell gene against malaria morbidity and mortalityMichael Aidoo
Lancet 359:1311-2. 2002..These data are important in understanding the role of malaria in the selection and maintenance of the sickle cell gene...